the man downstairs is a mental...

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
imagine its 2:30am on a monday morning..
you have to get up and go to work at 6am...

the man downstairs is playing 'christy moore - irish rebel' on repeat at full volume and singing along badly.. its driving you mental.. you've thumped the floor but got nowhere... he's just turned it up louder.. you thump the floor again and hear a sarcastic voice shouting back up "turn the f**king music down!".. your confused.. does he have someone with him?... or is he shouting at himself???

your flatmate goes out to the fire escape and starts banging his livingroom window.. there is a response of "ahh f**koff and suck my c**k!" the curtains are open slightly.. your flatmate can see the man downstairs lying on the sofa singing his drunken lungs out.. he's on his own.

whats the solution?
call the cops? - no.. they will only ask him to turn it down and chances are he will.. until they leave...
call the landlord? - no.. he's the tightfisted prick who told you to fix your broken shower door with superglue whats he gonna do about anything?!
go down to the fuse box and turn his power off? - probably not advisable as you'll run into him on the way back up the stairs and he's considerably bigger than you and quite clearly a mental..

so you do nothing.. his cd player gets stuck.. he's passed out.. it keeps jumping until you have to go to work... with that ba*tarding song stuck in your head all day!...
so you get home and decide to go to bed early and hopfully sleep through his nonsence if he starts again... 11pm your fast asleep.. your dreaming peacefully until 2am.. when the same song starts again and again and again..
repeat the same scenario again at 2:30am on wednesday morning... and so on.

HELP! what do I do?!

Tilda

Keep a diary.
The police will only ask him to turn it down that night, because afa they know, it sthe first time he's done it. If you keep a diary, and they start to realise he's causing problems then the council/police can do something about it.

The other alternative, assuming you're willing to carry it through is talk to your land lord, and say look, unless you tell him to stfu, i'm moving out. He'll miss out on rent etc. However this gets fucked up if you're locked into a contract etc.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You get some friends together with balaclavas and bats, break his door down at night, smash his hifi up, and tell him that if you ever hear that song again his head will be next.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
overfill the bath - flood him out (insurance will take care of)

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus said:
overfill the bath - flood him out (insurance will take care of)

tried that... with the washing machine.. for or five times.. ok so it wasn't actually on purpose but.. meh.. he's the scummiest chav you've ever seen.. it was probably the only wash he'd had in months.

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
You get some friends together with balaclavas and bats, break his door down at night, smash his hifi up, and tell him that if you ever hear that song again his head will be next.

i get the feeling he's the actual balaclava wearing sort anyway! judging by the scummy people that come round looking for him and his choice in music.. as for breaking his door down.. there's no point.. its hangin off its hinges anyway cuz he forgets his key all the time and has to break in himself!..

as for speaking to our landlord.. he really wouldn't be fussed. you could bet that he'd have someone else moved in the same day as we move out.. he's never actually even been round to the building! he sends his henchman.. er i mean "handyman" Geoff round to collect the rent and the like...

whats even worse is the chav had the cheek to corner me and steve one morning and get at us about playing music at night!!!! bear in mind that this pillock downstairs has been at his antics since he moved in a year ago!!!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
do what Tom said. people say violence never solves anything, but a swift crowbar into a hi-fi will solve a lot of things.

look around local pubs and try find a gang that will hire them selves out.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes like Tris siad, if you can find them, hire the A-Team!

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
steve was ringing the land lord today... god knows what will come of it.. probably nothing!

as for the A-team.. i think he probably drinks with most of them already :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Tom said:

I agree.

Crime pays unfortunately, it's not the ideal or right solution but it'll be the quickest solution.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Err, move? Failing that, call the environmental health. They can put an ASBO on his ass. Environmental Health is a bit risky if you own your own place (you have to declare it when you sell, with obvious potential effects on resale), but if you're renting, go for it.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Get a video camera - with a timestamp date on the corner of the screen.

Then film you, while the music is playing. The Camera should pick up the sound, and the timestamp shows when it was happening.

Do it enough, and you have evidence.

On the assumption then dont accept the timestamp, can always buy the newspaper for that day or something silly like that.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
tankgirl_ni said:
as for the A-team.. i think he probably drinks with most of them already :(

im sure if you pay them enough they will turn against their drinking buddy.

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
Err, move? Failing that, call the environmental health. They can put an ASBO on his ass. Environmental Health is a bit risky if you own your own place (you have to declare it when you sell, with obvious potential effects on resale), but if you're renting, go for it.

i really wish i could move but unfortunately fujitsu wages arn't great in my department and magdala street is the best i can afford right now! seriously considering contacting environmental health, i've nothing to lose.. the landlord probably does tho.. so this way ill be killing 2 birds with one stone...
if it had been a one off and we'd spoke to him and he'd stopped it wouldn't be a problem.. but after his fowl mouthedness ignorance last night and the night before and the night before that i just cant take it anymore.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Then you need someone who can be bothered spending more time finding not-at-all-amusing links :m00:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I think you may be going about this the wrong way.
DO make a fuss. Call the old bill every time he does it. Call the local council every time he does it.Keep a diary to prove whats going on.
Make a fuss, all else is failure Im afraid :(

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Faced with a similar situation myself many moons ago, I resorted to replacing the fuse with a blown one on a number of occasions and this worked a treat

If you do this he will be too drunk to figure out whats happened, he'll probably swear a bit and then fall unconsious . Once he sobers up he'll probably have forgotten the whole incident and when he works out what has happened he will probably assume faulty electrics. At the same time keep calling the police and environmental health.

In the medium term though get out of that area and get a flat/house further up the Lisburn Road where its much quieter even if a bit more expensive. Failing that head either East or West, depending on your preference,where you might get something a bit more affordable.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
this is what we get when the lowest demoninator classes get the dole... uneducated, unmannered and anti social people with free income... they should have to work and toil the bastards...

thats why where we are living the locals are protesting to stop a developer building flats some of which would be social housing. Cause we don't want any scum round here.

rynnor

Rockhound
Is he on the same circuit as you? In a similar situation I used a paperclip inserted into live and earth - flick the socket on and bang - instant fuse meltdown - just stock up on fuses plus if he replaces fuse you can just blow it again...

Works for me but obviously be carefull - oh and dont use a plastic coated clip or you get a mini fireball (about 1'2 an inch accross) as the plastic vapourises.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
rynnor said:
Is he on the same circuit as you? In a similar situation I used a paperclip inserted into live and earth - flick the socket on and bang - instant fuse meltdown - just stock up on fuses plus if he replaces fuse you can just blow it again...

Works for me but obviously be carefull - oh and dont use a plastic coated clip or you get a mini fireball (about 1'2 an inch accross) as the plastic vapourises.

:eek2:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't use Rynoor's solution, you could start a fire. Or kill somebody.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Tom said:
I wouldn't use Rynoor's solution, you could start a fire. Or kill somebody.
pfft, pussey.

Tankgirl, record it on yer PC or something when he does it, or ask the council for a decibel meter (which they will provide if you complain about him). Soon as the level is consistently above the maximum for shred block of flats, he'll get slapped with a court order to STFU, quite literally :)

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
GDW said:
..In the medium term though get out of that area and get a flat/house further up the Lisburn Road where its much quieter even if a bit more expensive. Failing that head either East or West, depending on your preference,where you might get something a bit more affordable.

i would head further away from the centre but cuz i work on airport road west which is a nightmare to get to at the best of times, magdala st is handy to the ormeau and the bus! hopefully in the next few months i'll be able to buy a nice wee house in holywood and have the car on the road which will be even better for work...

"this is what we get when the lowest demoninator classes get the dole... uneducated, unmannered and anti social people with free income... they should have to work and toil the bastards..."
-as for that comment.. it's a bit of a harsh generalisation! i know alot of people who are on the dole and who are educated and mannered and do work when they get the chance! in the same vein i know alot of people who are general scumbags who do work!!!
my boyfriend works as a sound engineer at the opera house in belfast and that means he can only work when there is a show on.. so some of the time he has to sign on!
i've never signed on but after the fiasco of being made redundant with no pay from abbey and having to wait nearly 2 months before i got another job i would not make the same mistake again.. rather than getting myself hideously into serious debt i'd be stright down to the dole office and asking them to help!

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
and as for him downstairs...
bumped into him on the way home from work.. gave him a really horrible look and ran inside..he stuck on that bloomin' song and i lost it.. so i put my speakers face down on the floor and let rip with some whitehouse... http://www.neox.demon.co.uk/whitehouse/ it was all nice and quiet last night :D

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
:clap: cool!!! if it happens again stock up on heavy thrash metal, put it on repeat and go out for a pint :drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom