The joy of leading

X

Xtro

"Xtro, please invite RANDOM LLAMA to the squad"

/invite RANDOM LLAMA

"Hi, Random Llama could you tell me what certs you have please?"

"Hi, I have AMS/Sniper/Insert certs here"

"Thanks mate, please could you take an AMS to wp2, rest of squad to wp3, obj is east tower"

Squad - "roger that"

"Xtro, please could you invite Sparx to the squad"

/invite Sparx

"Hi Sparx, please could you tell me what certs you have?"

"WTF, you judge ppl on what certs they have? LOL no way im out dude!"

Sparx leaves the squad

Squad "lol...wtf...etc"

/tell Sparx err pardon? I was asking what certs you have so I can lead effectively I dont care if you are BR1 or BR20 - I wont waste time asking you to bring a GAL if you have a vang cert for example....

/tell Sparx you coming back?

Sparx is ignoring you.

"Hey Xtro please invite RANDOM LLAMA 2 to the squad"

/invite Random llama 2

"Hi random llama 2 please could you err...wtf are you doing..."

All squad killed by random llama 2 ramming them at full speed with an AMS.

Joy! I haven't played as much recently and this is a very brief account of my squad leading since I picked up again. I really don't like refusing non-outfit members but god almighty its painful.

G

Gewny

well rule no.1 -> dont invite ppl with the name LLAMA
no. 2 -> dont invite ppl with the name LLAMA 2

:D

j/k - Some ppl are relly stupid and thats the downside of games with groupe play. The upside is when it works and when u get good friends.

The hard lesson - Nothing in life is only good or only bad, evry coin has a seckond side.

And dont be so soft, it should be :

/invite Sparx

"Hi Sparx, please could you tell me what certs you have?"

"WTF, you judge ppl on what certs they have? LOL no way im out dude!"

Sparx leaves the squad
/t Sparx llama
/ignore Sparx

C

.Cask

Random people smell. I'd rather a 3-man outfit squad than a full random one.

S

Sarum TheBlack

Random peeps in a group can be ok.. you never make friends if you don't try...

But having said that I know the temptation not to. I got to the point in DAoC where I only ever grouped with guildies, only really ever did anything if I knew beforehand it would work. While this sanatised version of play removed some of the frustration, it also removed a lot of the fun.

When groups work together it's a lot of fun, and very rewarding.. I'd say it's worth the pain of all the times it doesn't, because it gives you a chance at the times it does.

And pitty Sparx, don't hate him.. it's his loss, you sound like one of the few squad leaders who actually knows what they're doing. Mostly people are just another zerger to happens to be the leader of the group.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Outfit only squads - I rather have "less" fun than more frustration.

J

Jonaldo

I know it's a team game but I often enjoy being solo and without the need to go where everyone else is. Don't get me wrong being in good groups is also good but I just have always enjoyed freedom to come and go as I please.
My inf/adv hack/combat engineer/AMS spec is fully self sufficient also as well as group friendly.

E

Esoteric

Funnily enough when I first started, I managed to get into some cracking squads, think Kremator was leading them..... made some great friends and took some nice bases.

Outfit squads generally are the best, I do join random ones occasionaly to make new friends. However solo sometimes is a great option if you can kill ;-).

Y

Yoni

I would rather be with one or two outfit people than suffer the shite of non oufit playing (unless I know the outfit of course and trust them not to lead us on stupid missions)

F

Faeldawn

Went away for 2 weeks on me holls, came back to find my whole (almost) outfit is either inactive or have quit :(

This leaves me with the only grouping option of random squads mainly because now sadly most of the good squad leaders will lead outfit squads only mainly due to the problems like those encountered by Xtro.

Random groups can be great fun, dont get me wrong, but with outfits more commonly keeping their squads to their own ranks the pool of quality players with whom to group with is severely decreased.

Looks like im in for a lot of solo play.

B

bigfoot

Join us! Yoni can induct you she personally inspects each member ;)

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Y0ni
/me prepares my rubber gloves

I have never been more glad not to be a Vanu :eek2:

Thx for the invitre guys, very kind, but im an NC thru-and-thru :)

X

Xtro

errr...Yoni, bigfoot and I are all in BarrysSquad - which is NC not vanu scum :)

O

old.ivan

They are still freaks though :) despite being NC and everything.

P

[PS]Nova

I tried leading an outfit squad once.

They listened to me for half an hour and it was great, we worked together and took some bases and it was really cool.

Then I got fed up of sitting in a tower the other side of the continent simply typing instructions and went and joined the battle and the organisation kind of fell apart there :p

I'm definitely a follower not a leader :p

B

bone_idle

I always end up being my outfit/squad leaders personal chauffer in my gal. He sits in the rear gunner position or in an ANT in side the gal giving out squad orders while i fly the squad around drop them off and fly away under cover.

He rarely has the time to shoot anything as he's always looking at the map studying where to attack next. I kinda like it though. The squad does its job, i get the XP as well and all is sweet.

I'm not the killer type. I like a support role. :clap:

M

Maliz-

I used to be a SL that sat in a corner and spammed orders in /c and /s. But now I found it much more challenging to be in the heat _and_ spam /s and /c :)

oh, and ding CR 3 :D

Y

Yoni

I ususally set instructions up for a hack - whilst the hack is going on and if the base is rid of enemies I move the squad onto the next task - I am very lucky that when I lead they all know their roles so very few orders need to be given once they plan is laid out.

The only time this changes is if the shape of the continent changes but thats just takes a quick check once every 10 mins or so.

I have noticed that when leading random n00b squads (ie non outfit) that you need to be far more dominant then if with people you know.

I do get to lead and fight at the same time which is good excellent :)

P

[PS]Nova

Problem I faced wasn't so much that people didn't know their roles, it was that they were slightly lazy - ie, most of the time I was trying to get them to take nearby towers to choke off spawn points for the enemy, so I would be like /s OK someone needs to go take XXX tower, can I have a volunteer please?

And this in a squad with at least 3 hackers with planes :p

Silence for about 2 mins before I end up going /s OK XNoobX, please will you go take XXX tower for me

and then they'd finally agree - you'd have to ask them by name before they'd go do it.

And as for doing a bit of both - I just am crap at leading really, I get too frustrated and stuff, so I prefer to stick with following :p Is it a crime to know one's own weaknesses? :touch:

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Xtro
errr...Yoni, bigfoot and I are all in BarrysSquad - which is NC not vanu scum :)

Did Y0ni use to be VS or TR? Im sure i have been killed by him numerous times?

I better see exactly what is the state of play with my Outfit on Monday before i commit to anything.....dont wanna lose 8k outfit points for them if the outfit is still active ;)

Y

Yoni

heh I dont play as y0ni and have only ever played as NC ohhhh and I am a she not a he :p

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Y0ni
heh I dont play as y0ni and have only ever played as NC ohhhh and I am a she not a he :p

Apologies then m8, but there is (or was) a player named Y0ni who was part of the VS, hence my confusion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom