Misc The Internet of Things / mobile apps

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Zealot, superior. Tomatoes, tomatoes.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have two gaming desktops, one gaming laptop, two other laptops as well as an ipad an iphone and a ps4 pro

I still dont think your argument sticks

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Why not cache the maps for the area you're going to into your phone, turn phone off, feel safe in the knowledge that you've not only got a bazillion hours battery left but you get a GPS lock on your position if the shit hits the fan and the same coverage...?

I already do that in addition carrying a spare, cheap, long standby phone. I've also got 'breadcrumbing' GPS navigation on my Garmin Fenix watch.

The Ordnance Survey app is pretty sweet.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The older phones have better reception as well, less electronics and slower processors cause less interference and signal blocking..
My old Ericcson can sit there with 2 bars while may Note is struggling to hold one.

This is my original wild phone, analog with extended aerial and extended battery for 14hrs standby.....yes 14hrs and it was flat.
s320x240

The old anolog network was a lot better than you think, that phone would work in the middle of nowhere in the Welsh mountains and even at the top of a mountain in the Outer Hebrides.

old.user4556

So midges @Big G.

An issue in Torridon in April?

Depends - near still water you're chancing it, but up hills you should be ok. They're generally from about May onwards, it's still quite cold up here (frost forecast tonight in places).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think if your website experience is improved by an app, that the website developer is shit. I don't see why I need extra software to access a website.

For instance, Ebay works well on my desktop browser. So why can't it work as well on my phone?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Depends on what the app does tbh

With an android app you can tailor for a range of mobile screen sizes and deliver same experience 100% of the time

With a website you have to factor in browser compatibility across platforms

Also most companies have come to realise the website designers != mobile designers

The UX needs are quite different

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I think if your website experience is improved by an app, that the website developer is shit. I don't see why I need extra software to access a website.

For instance, Ebay works well on my desktop browser. So why can't it work as well on my phone?

Nonsense. Things apps can do that mobile web can't:
  • Use the phone's accelerometer e.g. for games
  • Use the phone's native security for logins
  • Use the phone's camera (everything from photo sharing to ticket scanning)
  • Work in offline mode
  • Allow users to set local privacy and communication settings without accessing a website
While there are other things like push that have a more dubious benefit for the user rather than the publisher, they're still valid reasons for having an app instead of the web. The other marketing reason is simply because apps are more likely to be front of mind than a website.

This doesn't mean that apps as as an alternative to web are always appropriate (for online shopping in general they are not, and most ecommerce apps are just a wrapper around a website) but there are plenty of times when they are.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You can use any android phone with hdmi output on the usb...just a hub..keyboard and mouse.

old.user4556

I see what you're saying, but I put that down to shite apps simply being a "mobile version of the main site" which is shite (Gaff's list is a more comprehensive answer).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nonsense. Things apps can do that mobile web can't:
  • Use the phone's accelerometer e.g. for games
  • Use the phone's native security for logins
  • Use the phone's camera (everything from photo sharing to ticket scanning)
  • Work in offline mode
  • Allow users to set local privacy and communication settings without accessing a website
While there are other things like push that have a more dubious benefit for the user rather than the publisher, they're still valid reasons for having an app instead of the web. The other marketing reason is simply because apps are more likely to be front of mind than a website.

This doesn't mean that apps as as an alternative to web are always appropriate (for online shopping in general they are not, and most ecommerce apps are just a wrapper around a website) but there are plenty of times when they are.

But a lot of website developers push apps because they're "better". Some examples on my phone - B&H (equipment sales), does the same as the web. BA exec app - does the same. Santander banking app - same. Costa app - same as the web. Ebay - same as web.

They all just put a fancy interface on because the website designer can't be bothered. Of course some apps are an improvement, like Instagram, or Myfitnesspal etc, but for the most part apps that act as a portal to the internet are just hiding a poor website.

DaGaffer

But a lot of website developers push apps because they're "better". Some examples on my phone - B&H (equipment sales), does the same as the web. BA exec app - does the same. Santander banking app - same. Costa app - same as the web. Ebay - same as web.

They all just put a fancy interface on because the website designer can't be bothered. Of course some apps are an improvement, like Instagram, or Myfitnesspal etc, but for the most part apps that act as a portal to the internet are just hiding a poor website.

So why are they on your phone?

NB. It is almost never because "the website designer can't be bothered".

old.user4556

That's the point i'm making with the above; apps shouldn't just be "mobile wrappers" for their website, rather offer specific functionality that the websites can't offer.

DaGaffer

Because the websites are shit.

OK. To take some of your examples; BA; its an app because it uses wallet functionality and it can work offline, pretty important when you're going through check in and you don't want to rely on an internet connection. I haven't used Costa, but I'm betting something similar; a reward app? Costa don't want to have to wait for you to reach a website when presenting your app for scanning, so the barcode can be available offline. Banking apps usually benefit from using app native UX to get around clunky login processes that are fine on the desktop but a total pita on mobile. Ebay...dunno, I would imagine push is handy, but as I said earlier, ecommerce sites generally don't need to be apps.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Interesting - but I don't understand "Banking apps usually benefit from using app native UX to get around clunky login processes that are fine on the desktop but a total pita on mobile"

Why?

The Who were totes amazeballz btw. Thx for askin'

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Depends - near still water you're chancing it, but up hills you should be ok. They're generally from about May onwards, it's still quite cold up here (frost forecast tonight in places).
Hmmm. This Friday for ten days or naaaaah??

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Interesting - but I don't understand "Banking apps usually benefit from using app native UX to get around clunky login processes that are fine on the desktop but a total pita on mobile"

Why?

The Who were totes amazeballz btw. Thx for askin'

Because on a desktop you habe mouse and keyboard and are usually sitting at a desk or table

With a mobile device you could be pretty much anywhere so the use case is different

Tom

I am a FH squatter
With a mobile device you could be pretty much anywhere so the use case is different

Hence, lazy stupid website designers. "Hey, most people are using mobile now, so maybe we should change our design?" "Nah, just get corporate to create an app, I can't be arsed."

old.user4556

Why?

All you need is a thumb on mobile to access accounts, most banks have a two tier "password" then anti-keystroke-logger "memorable selectable password". That's for starters.

old.user4556

Hmmm. This Friday for ten days or naaaaah??

Can never tell mate, literally depends on which way the wind blows. It's forecast to be cold but settled all this week. Even when the weather is good, munros are often shrouded in cloud off the Atlantic. You makes a choice and takes your chance!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The trouble with making things that work on a large screen and a small screen is that more often than not they look wank on the large screen.

Like it or not, most people access "lifestyle" bullshit from their phones now and probably shops I guess... it is still by far and away easier and quicker to search and compare stuff on a PC though, even with the likes of Amazon, who bizarrely have a pretty weak app, unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Hence, lazy stupid website designers. "Hey, most people are using mobile now, so maybe we should change our design?" "Nah, just get corporate to create an app, I can't be arsed."

More like
"Hey more people are using mobiles can we change the design?" "Make an app!" "Errr i know css and bootstrap wtf is a kotlin and how do i even android"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom