The how much can a human body endure pain wise saying!

Talivar

Part of the furniture
a human body can bear only upto 45 Del (unit) of pain.

But at the time of giving birth, a woman feels up to 57 Del of Pain.

This is similar to 20 bones getting fractured at a time!!!!

Please explain how anyone can beleive this illogical saying lol, especially since there is no such thing as a Del lol

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think they're talking shit :)

Pain is a really difficult topic. If you go to hospital they ask you to rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10.

There is no objective measure of it - so to say there's a standardised unit is bo-lox...

Edit: From Wiki:
James D. Hardy, Herbert G. Wolff, and Helen Goodell of Cornell University proposed the unit based on their studies of pain during the 1940s-1950s. They defined one dol to equal to "just noticeable differences" (jnd's) in pain. The unit never came into widespread use and other methods are now used to assess the level of pain experienced by patients.

Probably because what's noticable between one person and the next is subjective.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Yep the 1-10 scale is called DOLS and has always been accepetd as being purely subjective

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
According to the missus it's totally skewed in hospitals because everyone always says somewhere between 7-10, not matter what's wrong with them

She's even told me about people saying 10 for stuff that's clearly a 2.

(She's a nurse)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Theories about pain go from 1 to 45 on the bullshit-ometer. This rates 109.

rynnor

Rockhound
I dont think pain alone can kill you - if you can isolate it from physical injuries (where you mostly die of shock) then I think a human can stand any amount - its just designed as a protective mechanism after all.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Women have never been kicked in the bollocks so what do they know.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Nor have you given birth.

I like to think its like ripping your penis open.

Wow, what a thought.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Pain is completely subjective and unique to the individual. We're always taught that pain is,' what, where and how the patient feels it,' which basically means you cannot disbelieve that someone has pain just cos it doesn't look like they are hurting. Pain can be increased manifold through fear, anxiety, tiredness etc etc...we all know its much harder to cope with a bad headache at the end of a long day than it is at the beginning. On the flip side, pain can be very effectively decreased through adrenaline, laughter/joy, distraction, sleep, physical affection/touch to name but a few The 1-10 scale is used because it represents what the individuals pain is like at the time to them...we generally classify 0-3 as mild, 4-7 as moderate and 8-10 severe. When I ask kids to classify their pain for me, and if they are old enough to understand the concept of a numbered scale, I usually say something like,' are you hurting? Can you give me a number for your hurt....if 0 is no hurt at all, and 10 would be the worst hurt you can possibly think of, what number would your hurt be?'
In smaller kids we use a faces scale http://www.wongbakerfaces.org/ and for babies we use something called FLACC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLACC_scale

In children, distraction therapy is particularly effective as children have the ability to be very focussed on something they enjoy much more so than adults do (ie, lose themselves completely in a book or a film) and we also use a form of meditation called guided imagery which can work very well for procedural pain (something which is likely to be intense but short lived, such as inserting a cannula or cleaning a wound.)

Medicating for pain is, of course, hugely important, but I find it fascinating that we still don't really know why or how paracetamol works on the body - and i think alternative treatments for pain are oft overlooked. Living with chronic pain is intensely debilatating and very hard for others to understand who have no experienced it, which is why it is so hard to quantify. I had a severe hip condition from week 20 of my pregnancy, I couldn't take anything other than paracetamol for it (because of being allergic to codeine and anything else being dangerous for the baby,) and it was agonising, but I had to live with it as there was nothing else I could do. I was on crutches and clearly waddling and struggling to move at all...but it developed over about 3 weeks so I kind of 'got used to it.' If I had woken up suddenly one morning with that sort of pain, I don't think I would have been able to cope.

I don't beleiive there is ANY point in discussing childbirth and how it feels as its SO different even amongst women. I have met women who have honestly said it was no worse than really bad period pain and others who have said it was worse than the worst pain they could ever have imagined....but they still go and do it again because of what you get at the end of it, so its not really a great comparison to make to things like surgical pain or trauma.

Don't really know where I am going with this.....but there you go -mini lecture on pain!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My wife pops paracetamol at the slightest bit of pain but I refuse to take them. It's not just how much pain you feel but how much you can put up with, without moaning endlessly about it.

I would imagine giving birth to be much like shitting out a load of bread. However, getting whacked in the balls by a rugby ball is serious pain and discomfort, it is literally crippling where you just want to fold into yourself.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

My first instinct was to post that.

I understand that men can die from the shock of the pain of being kicked in the testicles - but that could be bollocks.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
must admit I thought I felt pain breaking / dislocating bones but kidney stones was much worse but I can't compare it to pain I havent felt like being stabbed or shot etc all I can say is its the most painful thing to date I've experienced.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Passing a kidney stone is supposed to be one of the worst pains ever. Don't know but having my first baby nearly killed me.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, pushing a large object out of a tube that's designed to stretch is one thing but when it's not meant to move at all you know it's going to be bad.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Pain is a subjective thing. What one person considers agonising might only be annoying to someone else.

The comparison of childbirth is also pointless. When my wife had our first child, she was in absolute agony because she was "back to back" which aggravates matters. That ended in a c-section.
https://lifebegins.channel4.com/exp...eo/ros-explains-back-to-back-labour-and-birth
Despite the terrible pain and agony she was in, she rates toothache as MORE painful than labour ever was. Yet I can put up with toothache without resorting to pain relief even when I've got an abcess.
Does this mean I can take more pain than a woman in labour? Of course it doesn't, there's no comparison. I can't imagine the pain a woman goes through in labour, just like a woman can't imagine the pain of a man getting kicked in the testicles. There's no common frame of reference.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
The scale should be doesn't hurt, hurts a little or hurts alot. None of this shit del/dol bollocks.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
When they ask me to rate the pain in the hospital I always imagine 10 to be skinned alive and set on fire so I usually just say 1 or 2 ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Anyone come up with a worse pain then someone sticking ductape on your balls, setting the whole thing on fire before ripping it off and someone kicking you in them.

Oh...i know...grab a post it and papercut your willyend.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
big mac...thats what the 1-10 scale is when you come down to it!

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I once cut my ball sack crashing my bike. It was only a small nick but cycling home with it was excruciating.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Subjective and dependent on the individual, both in terms of constitution and physiology.

You can measure it subjectively from person to person and compare that (1-10, smiley face scale, etc.), but that's the best you will ever be able to do unless they do some sort of standardised assessment of everyone's "Pain Threshold" first (e.g. graded electrocutions and scored out of 10) and combine it with some sort of standardised measure of severity (e.g. KtB's - Kicks to Balls, delivered with a pre specified amount of force).

I suppose pregnancy would be a number of KtB's, but over time, so I guess we could grade prolonged pain as KtB/sec or KtB/min (e.g. 10 Kicks to Balls per minute). You could factor in different surface areas of pain experienced too - for example, Joe Blogg's headache is giving him 2 Kicks to Balls per minute per centimetre squared.

I'm not sure the above would be entirely ethical.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I get kidney stones :(

I can tell they are painful, not just cos they hurt like fuck, but because when I'm in hospital the nurses are actually sympathetic.

Just for the record, it's not passing the stone that's bad, it's when the stone blocks the line from your kidney so you cant piss. The piss then build up backwards, causing your kidney to be incredibly painful. It came on last time when I was at work, I started to go home, got in the car, and by the time I'd driven 8 of the 10 miles home I had to stop and be sick at the side of the road. I'm glad I was in the car, not sure I could have managed it on the bike :(

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
kidney stones and gall stones are meant to be one of the most awful pains you can get in the short term....ive seen grown men screaming from both :(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Mostly lasts 3 to 4 hours for me, I used to go to hospital but there's not a lot of point really, I just hang in there now. You get so tired as well though from the constant pacing and that. Just cant stay still :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom