The heart of a pig

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
I've had this discussion with one of my roomies, she claims that humans have had implanted a hogs heart instead of their own, which i tend to difer - is this any true?

givf links etc.

Phule_Gubben

Fledgling Freddie
LoL.

Why don't you just ask her to prove it for you.

I'd say no on the matter thou, I know it's been discussed that Pigs organs might be useful when it comes to transplanting but not sure it's been fully tested yet. Some vital organs have been tested but not actually in a human body so far. Atleast to my knowledge.

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Certainly pig heart valves are used for transplant into humans, and have been for many years...

This novel procedure is better than the current alternatives, such as implantation of a mechanical valve or one taken from a pig's heart, which give inferior results over time. Pig valves eventually may be rejected by the body's own immune system, which attacks the animal implants, and blood clots may form on the mechanical valves. A pulmonary human valve transplant, however, can last the lifetime of the patient.

Taken from: http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-108.shtml

Tilda

Huntingtons said:
I've had this discussion with one of my roomies, she claims that humans have had implanted a hogs heart instead of their own, which i tend to difer - is this any true?

givf links etc.

Its true, it lead to the novel and tv-film "Pig Heart Boy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom