The Gwadien Goes Travelling Thread

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
GAP YARRR

No.

I have worked very hard, and when I finish Uni, I want to splash my money on stuff worth while.

Such as train tickets.

My current plan is to go from the UK down into France then up through the Netherlands, through Denmark, Sweden, get a ferry across to Finland (Or go around the top?) through Estonia, looping around following the coast through Estonia, Poland, Germany etc etc.

Basically, yeah, you could call it a baltic sea hug.

It's a really random idea, and I've not looked into it at all, I imagine I could do it loosely through trains, although I'm unsure.

Give advice, or you can give me a beer en route, or give me a bed, or loving, @TdC

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Get one of those Euro train ticket thingys.

and a bum bag.

Gwadien

Get one of those Euro train ticket thingys.

and a bum bag.
Yeah, I was looking at that, but it doesn't include Estonia or Russia, which is problematic, I kinda wanna go to St Petersburg.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yeah, I was looking at that, but it doesn't include Estonia or Russia, which is problematic, I kinda wanna go to St Petersburg.

Side trip from Helsinki to St.Petersburg isn't that big a deal (get the ferry). Russian visa is a PITA though. Then you can ferry back from Petersburg to Tallinn (although I'm not sure how frequent they are), or get the train (slow). There are lots of ways back through the Baltics to Poland.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just saw st petersburg on hairy bikers def looks like a good place to go.

Thought gap years were in between school and uni. Not after it

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
He's taking a few years off between uni and working in McDonalds if he's lucky.

Gwadien

Side trip from Helsinki to St.Petersburg isn't that big a deal (get the ferry). Russian visa is a PITA though. Then you can ferry back from Petersburg to Tallinn (although I'm not sure how frequent they are), or get the train (slow). There are lots of ways back through the Baltics to Poland.
Aye I was looking at Google for ways between Tallinn and St Petersburg - train was 7 hours.

Driving was about 3 iirc

Gwadien

Just saw st petersburg on hairy bikers def looks like a good place to go.

Thought gap years were in between school and uni. Not after it

Nah gap year is taking s year out of uni and then continuing.

But that's why I posted gap yarr - no

Lethul

FH is my second home
GAP YARRR

No.

I have worked very hard, and when I finish Uni, I want to splash my money on stuff worth while.

Such as train tickets.

My current plan is to go from the UK down into France then up through the Netherlands, through Denmark, Sweden, get a ferry across to Finland (Or go around the top?) through Estonia, looping around following the coast through Estonia, Poland, Germany etc etc.

Basically, yeah, you could call it a baltic sea hug.

It's a really random idea, and I've not looked into it at all, I imagine I could do it loosely through trains, although I'm unsure.

Give advice, or you can give me a beer en route, or give me a bed, or loving, @TdC

Take the ferry acrosd from swe to fin. Cheap alcohol and lots of partying. Not the highest standards but it is something every young swede does at least once :) cheap as well. The train around would take AGES. Probably a lot of nice landscape but the train would most likely travel along the sea somewhat so you would miss the best part of the north anyway :p unless you plan to stay and travel around a bit.

DaGaffer

Nah gap year is taking s year out of uni and then continuing.

But that's why I posted gap yarr - no

It can be either. Most of the people I met travelling had just finished Uni, but there were a few who'd just finished school; which is kind of ballsy when you're 18 and 7000 miles from home.

NB. I think the only warning I'd give you about your trip is you've chosen just about the most expensive set of countries on the planet; there's a reason why most backpackers go to Asia or South America.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The 3 day ferry trip from Helsinki to St Petes includes a visa valid for the trip so its much easier way to get to russia

Can also take a train from Helsinki direct

I did a Dublin - Helsinki trip along similar route you described took about 2 weeks of interrail (if you are under 25 ticket is dirt cheap)

Thing to look out for are trains in western europe that require a booking fee with interrail ticket (the ones between france and belgium/holland usually do)

We didnt know so got stung by a 100 euro fine

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
If this means I won't have to read anymore of your niave drivel then yay go enjoy, but please please don't come to Stockholm. Malmö and Göteborg Will be far more up your street

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
If this means I won't have to read anymore of your niave drivel then yay go enjoy, but please please don't come to Stockholm. Malmö and Göteborg Will be far more up your street

Hey, don't trash Göteborg! Malmö i can agree on.

DaGaffer

Bit harsh.

Gwadien

Hahahahah wow

I'm going to Stockholm. Just you try and stock me.

That was bad.

Not to go off topic but you only went mad at me over the whole voting thing. Which was fair. If you're going mad over difference in politics then lol. Grudge much

Gwadien

Take the ferry acrosd from swe to fin. Cheap alcohol and lots of partying. Not the highest standards but it is something every young swede does at least once :) cheap as well. The train around would take AGES. Probably a lot of nice landscape but the train would most likely travel along the sea somewhat so you would miss the best part of the north anyway :p unless you plan to stay and travel around a bit.

Is it dear though?

I was looking at Ferries but they seemed a bit more.. formal?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Lol formal the boats between swe and finland are notorious for being alcohol fuelled sex binges :p

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'd agree with Gaff here and say you're picking an awfully expensive part of the world, not entirely sure it's the best value for money tbh in terms of what you'll see.

I'd get a ticket to Bangkok then go from there personally.

Gwadien

I dunno, I don't just want to got to a foreign country to get drunk.

Besides, thanks to the interwebs, I know of many people on the route who have already offered beds and bedding and beddingers.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I dunno, I don't just want to got to a foreign country to get drunk.

Besides, thanks to the interwebs, I know of many people on the route who have already offered beds and bedding and beddingers.
Visiting toht ?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Fair play if you've got places to crash along the way it shouldn't be too bad - in which case I'd say definitely try to make a stop in Norway too, lovely country and people, and some of the scenery is stunning, especially the fjords.

Gwadien

Fair play if you've got places to crash along the way it shouldn't be too bad - in which case I'd say definitely try to make a stop in Norway too, lovely country and people, and some of the scenery is stunning, especially the fjords.
Big place though. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom