The Grief Point System

S

sufferance

Shesh, quiet board this one?

OK: Since I have been playing, I have managed to reach GP level 3 (1050 points) twice, resulting in weapons lock (once caused by my flatmate whom I had loaned the account too, the other was genuine). Both of these times have been attributed to base defence using a MAX POUNDER.

While I agree with a penalty system (I think the weapons lock thing is fantastic) I do (STRONGLY) disagree with the time it takes to return to a more manageable level. It appears as though it takes 24 hours for the points to drop by 100. The first time I got 1050 points, it took me about 2 weeks to return to zero (most of which was either totally boring use of weapons OR I just stopped playing altogether. If I stop playing too long too often I will probably just not play again).

My point is this. Anyone that plays (like I do) at least 3 hours per night using splash weapons (pounder/reaver/grenades) will find it near on impossible for their GP's to subside, as you are almost guaranteed to clock up 50-100 points in even moderate battle.

I would challenge one the developers to prove me wrong.

Before you start flaming me about "responsible use" of weapons, remember that people are greedy for action and death-spamage- therefore they are always going to get in the "poundzone" or walk in front of plasma launcher resulting in that terrifying pulsing grief counter.

My Suggestion: Once you reach GP-L3 (1050 points) and you get weapon locked for 30 mins (which I think is a great idea- why not lower the threshold to 800?), you can reduce the timed subsidence in GP's by successfully killing enemies (or taking bases or whatever).
This would be deemed as good-deeds for your bad actions :)

You musings?

S

SoWat

I do like the Grief system, though it's annoying to keep the points under control when ones own team rush like lemmings through ones fire.

Maybe make weapon lock guys into medics, then when they've healed a certain amount of points, let them shoot stuff again.

:cool:

Y

Yoni

I had my first close encounter with weapons lock a couple of sundays ago when gunning for Dexter - I was amazed at how quickly I got to 600 at which point I decided to bung my ickle infil suit on and run round hacking things instead for a few days. It didnt take very long to clear them as I remember about 4 days or so.

O

old.ivan

Givf decent subordination and leadership ... imo . To control lemming zergoramic behaviour.
Dont wanna repeat meself .. i think there was a thread regarding greif points before, in which i said something about stress testing it in beta ... the developers got the "stick" end of motivation just right :)

R

Rigon-Noir-

I'm not suprised anyone wearing a MAX pounder hits a lot of greif points tbh, they are quite devastating to both enemy troops and their own. Having said that, if you don't want greif points, don't shoot when your teams mates are around.

..takes a second to pull out own trumpet and blow it...;)

I have ZERO greif points, honestly, if someone runs infront of me when i'm shooting, 99% of the time i stop, if i'm getting shot at, it's a free temporary human shield :D

..takes another second to light the stick of dynamite labeled contraversial :D

Should be more greif points for tk's imo

D

Deadmanwalking

I got to 960 odd once :eek:

I blame yoni and her maoning about people team wounding her, and trust me on this one when yoni is started you do anything you to stop her :D

*runs*

J

Jupitus

Well I'm pretty much always 0 grief except one a few occasions. I fly Gals and do support stuff (AMS) alot of the time so I guess that's not suprising.

I do sympathise to a degree with those who cert in the more GP prone weapons, but it's horses for courses. My advice is to try to have a cert setup which allows you to change style for a while (like Y0ni's hacking example) and you should be able to keep the situation under control.

S

Stonebits

I very rarely push 20+ grief.....

You just need to be aware that every other player will try to run infront of you when you are wearing a max suit...

I play NC Max AA so its not great vs Troops, I have to rely on splash damage.... the number of times im trying to kill someone to have my own troops rush in next to the guy.....

The other side of the coin, I play an infiltrator alot, and I swear I die more by my own side than VS or TR....

Stairwell, trying to rush past own troops to sneak past the enemy troops to sneak to cc room, BOOM dead, be it a random grenade, gun etc....

Hot drop from my mossie onto a Tower, BOOM, killed by some twat in a reaver/Max/grunt with rockets/ pounding the upper door, even when it hasnt opened for 2 mins....

Hot drop onto a base, BOOM, friendly sniper picks me off from 3 miles away 'sorry I couldnt see if you were friendly or not'

Running (or sneaking) into an enemy base, BOOM, some idiot in a tank runs me over....

So im happy with the grief system.... if it stops some of these idiots for a while or makes them re-think, its for the better.....

But then again, you are playing TR, so please carry on hehe....

S

Spinky

Me + Vanguard + Gunner seat = mucho GP

Mostly through crap shots or wobbling turrets, or peopel running in the way.

Not having much respect for authority might do it too though :x

S

sufferance

Thank you for all blowing your trumpets loud and clear :)

I agree:
Grief points are a good thing (I would suggest lowering the weapons lock to 800), but what I DISAGREE with is the timer that controls the reduction in GPs (over time).

Once you hit 1050, it slows down to about 100 every 24hours or so.

Pounding from tower walls can release a huge amount of 'nades that can (maybe) take 5 seconds to travel to their intended target.. in that time, troops could have moved in to the zone and I could be looking at 50+ Gp's in one go. Pounding in a spawn room is very very tricky, but often necessary... get that wrong and it's tears all round!

+_+_+_+_+
On Another point:

I get the feeling TR are being owned these days--- anyone else get that?

D

Deadmanwalking

God max, so why do you are worried about GP just banish em or something :D

C

Cuthervaen

Heya Sufferance ;)

Maybe meet ya out there

Cuther BR16 sniper for VS

Users who are viewing this thread