The Graphics Bug Solution

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I always suffered from graphics bugs...no idea why, the screen would just go crazy. Usually I thought I had to relog to fix this (/vidreset did nothing). I was told a solution by someone a while ago and it works 100% of the time (for me).

If you get a graphics bug (ie, can't see anything, things go down to 1fps etc)...

Ctrl+Alt+Del - go to Task Manager then Processes tab. Once it's loaded up, alt-tab back into game.

Solved. You can alt-tab back out and close Task Manager.

It might not work for all graphics bugs, but I never have any problems myself now. I have no idea why it works, possibly Windows resets its process priorities - who knows.

Try it! :cheers:

Sparkey

Fledgling Freddie
But isn't vidreset just for the Gfx lag? =)

I guess the prob is for "server lag" ?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Sparkey said:
But isn't vidreset just for the Gfx lag? =)

I guess the prob is for "server lag" ?

This solution is nothing to do with lag. It's where the screen freezes up, goes weird colours, animiations blur, frames stick on screen etc.

Vidreset resets video card memory...guess when you change from say RVR to PVE, you want to remove all the buffered enemy files etc.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Aint tryed this yet but repped it... i often get random bugs :/

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
rep whore! :p

i do get this bug once every.. month or so, will try it when i get it next :p

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
/vidreset never ever did anything for me, didn't made things move more smoothly after a long day of RvR and didn't fix graphic bugs so I wonder if it might just be a fake command :)
Bit hard to ctrl+alt+tab out when you are in RvR though (only get the occasional Graphic bug in RvR where an entire piece of land turns bright yellow).

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Andrilyn said:
Bit hard to ctrl+alt+tab out when you are in RvR though

Aye, but 5 seconds is better than 30+ seconds :)

I get graphics bugs because I put extreme load on my PSU I think...I really must get a new case.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i take it this only works if you play in full screen mode, as you cant CTL+ALT+DEL out of windowed.
i get this sort of bug more often in dungeons (darkspire etc) because of the walls and stuff

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
i take it this only works if you play in full screen mode, as you cant CTL+ALT+DEL out of windowed

Yeh I always run full screen, so not sure how it works for windowed - perhaps someone can let us know if you encounter the same bug :cheers:

Amaru-Synergy

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
i take it this only works if you play in full screen mode, as you cant CTL+ALT+DEL out of windowed.
i get this sort of bug more often in dungeons (darkspire etc) because of the walls and stuff

are you sure it wasnt the machine you got from .....

topnav_logo.gif

btw news just in... I heard on Teamspeak... rods words I quote

' They can take away the rep point system as it means nothing to me.... I have a big enough penis, so I dont need a bigger one '

(I added the last bit in, he wont notice)

btw this information is bloody superb stuff... do you know how annoying it is to relog, hold the group up... redo buffs... all for the sake of a 5 second cure...

Muldini

Loyal Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
rep whore! :p

i do get this bug once every.. month or so, will try it when i get it next :p

If you want to rep some1, then rep me since i told Rod about that amazing "trick".
Could have mentioned that rod rep hoe :p

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
A few points, as I've been using this a while. My points assume you are using XP Pro not Home, as Ctrl+Alt+Del on Home has different functionality.

This works on both windowed and full screen mode.
You don't need to load up the specific tab, you don't even need to load up task manager.

Just press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get the "Windows Security Screen" to appear. Then press Escape to return back.

I'm not 100% sure why it works, I suspect its because the DX surface being used is loaded out and back in again.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
removed the god awful toss that was being posted in this thread. Get a grip you lot.

Good post, not had graphics bugs in a while myself (seems to depend on client/driver/cycle of the moon/price of cheese) but handy to have a tip if it does show up. (like that one about the shift bug)

However I'll move it to technical help because it's not really RvR related

(though if you post similar stuff in technical/newbies and posted a link to it from here that'd be fine since it's something RvR players could do with knowing about)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
removed the god awful toss that was being posted in this thread. Get a grip you lot.

Good post, not had graphics bugs in a while myself (seems to depend on client/driver/cycle of the moon/price of cheese) but handy to have a tip if it does show up. (like that one about the shift bug)

However I'll move it to technical help because it's not really RvR related

(though if you post similar stuff in technical/newbies and posted a link to it from here that'd be fine since it's something RvR players could do with knowing about)

Cheers Flim, posted it there as thought that's where most people suffering the symptoms would look.

Thanks for getting rid of the whiney shite from the 15 year olds :cheers:

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Also irrc, /vidreset only works once you zone. I.e. you do /vidreset then when you zone, it clears the memory.

Guindor

Fledgling Freddie
eggy my ONLY love... i have this focking prob around 2months now... and couldnt do anything.... IF IT WORKS..... man i will set u up a statue!!!
Cant w8 to go and check if it works :D

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Thought this was some kind of usual eggy rep scam, but this actually works.

peder

Fledgling Freddie
graffiz may be badn.
but grafipss is better hwnen i or human guitarist play¨
thihkns of it we play good
i mean maybe i can help you
:D

B

big_ish

I get this every once in a while, so thanks for the information.

B

big_ish

peder said:
graffiz may be badn.
but grafipss is better hwnen i or human guitarist play¨
thihkns of it we play good
i mean maybe i can help you
:D

Hmm, what the!!!!!!!!!!

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
well, its an awful solution, no doubt about that, it aint even a solution!

I begin getting these random glitches, artifacts, lines and models going nuts, until screen freezes up, sure it can be fixed by minimixing, but still have it on the desktop, and it will just begin again when getting back in game.

it might even reboot and i have gfx bugs in the bios post, the windows logo when loading windows, and at the login screen to windows.

this is most likely the graphicscard being broken, and I will ship it back to the vendor along with some pictures of the bugs.

the ctrl+alt+delete isnt the solution when the game crashes every 30sec :D

posted a few of the "normal" bugs here https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=195418

after these the serious ones come and computer crashes :D

Laddey

FH is my second home
Cool thanks, works well for my gforce 2. Repped:)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to eggy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom