MAC Inferior Race The Fucking Hell Who's Bored Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm sat in bed rather than getting up. There's a fuckton of work to be done but I'm so fucking BORED with things at the moment I'm close to hitting the fuck it button and binning the whole lot off. Job and all.

It's Covid related, of course. We're a social animal and not having seen anyone since September (Wales lockdown rules differing from Englands) - apart from family at xmas - is really dragging.

I'm assuming most of you are feeling the crushing same? (At least the ones subject to lockdown). What are you doing to combat the tedium?

I spent yesterday morning chopping up a fallen tree with my chainsaw and yesterday evening chopping down trees with an axe in Valheim. The former brought me a lot more joy than the latter - and the idea of another week staring at my laptop whilst it's sunny outside feels like another week of hell.

I'm not even amused setting my groundhog-day copycat alarm any more - waking up to Sunny & Cher's 'I've Got You Babe' ain't no fun without a Ned Ryerson to punch.

Yep. Doing the right thing and all. Saving lives - and most of us are, judging by the stats. Which is good.

But with how I feel today if they asked us to lock down again I think I'd find a few like minded friends and flout the rules a couple of times a month - have them over here or go there. Not a full return to normality (can't until pubs open and parties are a thimg again) but with 30%+ of us having had the vaccination the risks are dropping for limited social contact. This slow opening up + protective jabs better had be the last time tbh.

Any other Freddies feeling lockdown fatigue?

I find myself over-sharing on meetings. Only social contact I have really. I get the impression that those with kids are coping a bit better as they've got a worthwhile thing to do with their non-work time and a high proportion of their social contact is their kids keeping them insane/sane anyway? (Not saying it's easy there). Whereas people without kids lives revolve around friend groups so worthwhile life really has ground to a halt.

Should I go postal? Just to break up the tedium?

Anyway. Rambling /off.

What does FH do to alleviate the tedium? :)

BTW - I didn't know we had a 'MAC Inferior Race' @Deebs! Well done that man!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I spent part of the weekend drawing up plans for bird boxes, to help practice wood joints, thought it would be a bit more useful than just making random boxes and people will buy all sorts on Ebay so if some of them turn out well they will be sold on there, if not, free kindling for the fire! My eventual aim is to convert our barn into a workshop and making the workbench. It's not an actual barn, more a 12 ft by 10 ft stone outhouse with a slate roof, so space is a minimum, and I will lose some of that when I damp proof and board the walls. The wife is getting a bit fed up with the spare room being my workshop...
It's my biggest project to date and I have some grand plans for my tiny little workshop!

Overall I had my low point a few months back, but I am feeling really positive that we are on the last stretch now, just a few more months and I think we will be nearly out of lockdown, there will still be restrictions in place, but I think we will be able to see family and friends and go to the pub, and I'm planning a weekend away on my own in the woods...which may sound odd as we are being so contained atm, but my house has become my office and a classroom and I find I am working more and thinking about work more, so I just want to get away from it all for a few days. I have always needed time on my own every now and again, and I don't really like big crowds anyway but really miss my friends. I don't see half of them for months on end, but we often meet up when one of our wive's has gone away and treat each other's houses as student digs for the weekend. May not actually do anything except sit around watching Youtube videos or the sport while drinking cups of tea. Most of them have kids, so I think they really appreciate a weekend away from it all.

We are hoping to pop down to the in-laws at Easter, restriction relaxations permitting. Just for the day to sit in their garden, they have both had their jabs and will have had their second by then, I've had my first and will be coming up to second and the wife will be getting regular tests at work and may well have had her first jab by then. I see my mum all the time as we share a garden, so that's not really been a problem. Tentative talks on a weekend away 'proper' wild camping with a core group of friends but most of them are townies, so it will probably end up like one of those horror films where someone accidentally dies.

I'm gaming more. Valheim ticks all sorts of boxes for me so been messing about in that, had a critical fail yesterday morning though and overstretched, got 2 shotted by a mob miles away from home on an island I needed a boat to reach, 2 hours later, after scratching up a new boat I set off to rescue my gear, died again as I landed. Previously I would have rage-quit but found it didn't bother me all that much, just started again, I don't feel like I have to cram something into my spare time and wasting it doesn't really matter.

I made the decision a few years ago to spend more of my spare time doing something useful and this pandemic has spurred me on.

We are also very busy on the Parish Council, we break ground on a new 200k sports pavilion soon, and it's been a lot of work getting everything planned and funded.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'm a bit bored now and again but I don't have any lockdown blues.
Would be nice to go to the pub with friends and having a proper holiday but I enjoy being at home really.

Playing online games works for me though.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Back when all this started (March 2020), I felt I'm more apt and better prepared to handle being indoors for large swathes of time, which still holds water, to be honest. Never been a nature or outdoorsy person anyway, although quite social (pub).

So I'm missing that spontaneous freedom of "I'll just go to the pub this eve" or slugging to karaoke post pub, drunk and happy.

Health wise, I've gained a few kilos in the past 2-3 months, even though i'm not a gourmand. Sedentarism is murder for my body, walking about was the fine line for my metabolism between getting fat or maintaining. Now that I'm in a chair all day....

Ah well, other than that, pretty chummy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sedentarism is murder for my body, walking about was the fine line for my metabolism between getting fat or maintaining. Now that I'm in a chair all day....
I echo this eleventy percent.

Although my legs are still good, the rest of my body is going to rack and ruin at only 47. I was never a gym bunny - I hate exercise for exercise's sake. But every weekend I'd be getting away camping biking and kayaking - and lifting all that shit regularly.

I actually think this is a bigger problem for me than just lockdown - I need an active job that gets me outside really. Trouble is finding one that pays.

I looked up a minimum-wager job in the national park this morning - part time ranger type thing. I don't qualify even for that as I don't speak welsh :eek:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Well i am 14 pounds lighter than last march.

i dont mind the being at home. I was a home worker anyway before the lockdowns.
i miss just thinking damn will go see the sea or have a wander round the moors. But i have had back surgery and all since lockdown started last march and have more pain when walking than i did at the start of this.

theres been periods of complete doom and depression. But thats not unusual anyway. Just the reasons are different i guess.

best part for me is the lack of air travel i have had to do. I hate airports and the cramped planes. And 2019 i travelled 3 long haul and many short haul flights.

i think my muscle tone. If i had any before is worse.

i cant wait to be able to go put and explore the county more again.

with the computer games and jigsaws and netflix i cant say i have been bored. And i never liked social activities much anyway. But it will be good to just say go to plymouth and browse the book shops or stuff.

also found that for me facetime is all i need as a family connection. My mum would disagree but 15 min sessions with her is enough rather than staying for a couple days when we used to go see her. Not looking forward to that duty.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was watching that new show on BBC last night, Bloodlands, and there was a scene in a typical Irish working man's pub, the kind of place I actually go to once in a blue moon, and I was rage-inducingly envious. I just wanted the choice to go for a quiet pint. It caught me out a bit because until now I've been reasonably relaxed about lockdown.

Work stuff? If I had enough money to retire I'd do it tomorrow anyway, Corona or not, but I don't so I can't. I'm mostly used to working from home now, although I've noticed the tendency from on high to micromanage is a lot worse then when I was office bound, and that routinely boils my piss.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Scouse, you need a project of some sort to keep you going. Work, but-not-work. If I didn't live in an inner city apartment, I'd have a workshop for tinkering with stuff. If I lived rurally, I'd be growing stuff. I hate gardening, but I don't mind the idea of having a small plantation.

Have you considered planting trees (apples, pears) or other bushes that provide fruit. Get a distillery going for some homemade hooch, or make marmalade. Could probably flog it to upscale supermarkets like Waitrose if you get the permits right.

Have you thought about restoring or building furniture? Of all the subjects in school I miss the most, woodworking was the one that ticked my need for planning, precision, focus and physical effort. The wooden chopping boards, plates and spice racks I made in the mid 90's are still used by my parents today. Simple, but extremely durable.

Could do pottery too, but I know sweet FA about that, you would need to watch YouTube or something.

My parents follow this guy on YouTube, who answers questions about moving to Costa Del Sol in Spain. He visits properties nearby and talks people through some local run down properties for sale, the restoration process needed, including permits and stuff. Very educational, but also with a nice personal touch. You could do something similar for moving to the countryside. Document the challenges of rural living in old buildings, in either a blog or video blog, and do a QA session at the end. That would give you some hum interaction, even if its front of a laptop.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I can't go out and I don't even have a gaming PC or Playstation set up at the minute due to my office flood.

My time is working, wanking, telly, playing with the kids or playing Diablo 3 on the Mac (because that runs rather than out of choice.)

I do sometimes do Discord gaming with my LAN party friends to have a chat but again I'm limited on what I can play to pretty much CS:GO, Among Us and Codenames.

Overall it's the wanking that gets me through.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Deffo the post Xmas blues + lockdown hit hard.

Found myself a more short tempered ass hat than I usually am this time round. It's really hard when as most trying to do the right thing. On the one hand you want to let the kids off the leash and goto the park with their mates but then you know it's probably not the right thing to do.

To be honest I wouldn't say I am bored but more the restrictive nature we are under. Again I completely respect it, the small sacrifices we are all making is going a long way. I hate routine and tedium. So getting up, taking the dog out early to avoid people, sit at desk for work, then relaxation time is not a healthy. That said, I think the whole Rona thing believe it or not has been helpful. Managed to shift timber by the routine of walking daily, intermittent fasting 5 days (ish) a week and really kicking Type 2 'Beetus in the right bollock so I am no longer registered as type 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom