Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's my opinion, I don't expect you to agree with it. They could have both given space to the other but realistically neither of them was going to back out of it, I still think Lewis is in the wrong though.

My opinion on yours is that it is silly :p

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@BloodOmen I can understand your point of view on this, if we take this situation in isolation. Fact is, we can't really. All season there have been situations (Monza is a good example) where Max has got his elbows out, which is fine by me, feisty racing. However, what happened on Sunday was simply a case of Lewis getting fed up with it - he has backed out several times and Max now has (maybe 'had) the psychological upper hand. It was inevitable that something like this would happen.

The reason everyone is so up in arms about it is what 'might have happened', but the stewards (as agreed by team managers including Horner) make decisions based on what is on track at the time, and never about the actual or possible aftermath. Personally, I thought HAM was pretty much alongside and Max turned in on him. On the other side, I can see the argument that HAM was probably half metre from the kerb so perhaps could have given a bit more space.

At the end of the day, I love seeing these guys race, and race hard. The shenanigans between managers is a funny sideshow.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
@BloodOmen I can understand your point of view on this, if we take this situation in isolation. Fact is, we can't really. All season there have been situations (Monza is a good example) where Max has got his elbows out, which is fine by me, feisty racing. However, what happened on Sunday was simply a case of Lewis getting fed up with it - he has backed out several times and Max now has (maybe 'had) the psychological upper hand. It was inevitable that something like this would happen.

The reason everyone is so up in arms about it is what 'might have happened', but the stewards (as agreed by team managers including Horner) make decisions based on what is on track at the time, and never about the actual or possible aftermath. Personally, I thought HAM was pretty much alongside and Max turned in on him. On the other side, I can see the argument that HAM was probably half metre from the kerb so perhaps could have given a bit more space.

At the end of the day, I love seeing these guys race, and race hard. The shenanigans between managers is a funny sideshow.
If he had tried to hit the apex his backend would have stepped out imo

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If he had tried to hit the apex his backend would have stepped out imo

Very possibly - either way they both committed to the corner, HAM did get at least 3/4 alongside, and the had a coming together. Consider also the amount of contact (and as before, we have to disregard where it happens or the possible consequences) which was basically a rubbing of wheels, or a tad over that.... he didn't spear him off the track....

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Horner after the Spanish Grand Prix, where Verstappen went up the inside of Hamilton at the first corner…

“Turn 1 was mega. I mean Max, that was full Max Verstappen – he was just going for it – and he positioned the car fantastically well. He tucked in, he got a little bit of a tow and a bit of momentum. And yeah he just braked later and ran the car wide. Thankfully Lewis had got out of it because otherwise he would have ended up in the fence”

Horner just can't take it that somebody actually stood up to Verstappen and his aggressive driving and it was Verstappen who came off worse.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Horner after the Spanish Grand Prix, where Verstappen went up the inside of Hamilton at the first corner…

“Turn 1 was mega. I mean Max, that was full Max Verstappen – he was just going for it – and he positioned the car fantastically well. He tucked in, he got a little bit of a tow and a bit of momentum. And yeah he just braked later and ran the car wide. Thankfully Lewis had got out of it because otherwise he would have ended up in the fence”

Horner just can't take it that somebody actually stood up to Verstappen and his aggressive driving and it was Verstappen who came off worse.

Which is why the only card he can play is 'OMG what might have happened' ....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

The most absurd thing was Horner bleating about "professionals know you don't do that at Copse", when it was done multiple times in that race.

I went to my first Silverstone GP in 1979; drivers always pull moves like that at Copse; its why everyone wants to sit there.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I vividely remember how furious Horner was about this vettel move into copse

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJvIAiXwJA

And max definitely would never do such a thing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJTAVnaLRI

There are actually many differences in those which doesn't really make it a fair comparison, but it doesn't change the fact it was a racing incident in my view.... in other words, I am agreeing with you in principle... (fuck me, too many Scouse arguments going on that I feel the need to say that :( )

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Bottas on Hamilton in 2019 as well.

Different circumstances again (Bottas was further forward and Lewis actually backed out on the outside) but to act like it's sacrilege that somebody should try to overtake on the inside into Copse is madness.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So, thankfully, Red Bull's appeal to review Hamilton's punishment was thrown out for the nonsense that it was. Some of their "evidence" was flimsy, some of it was just plain bizarre (they sent Albon out during a Pirelli tyre test to re-enact Hamilton's line through Copse and submitted the telemetry).

RYGJnDa.png

Last edited:

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So, thankfully, Red Bull's appeal to review Hamilton's punishment was thrown out for the nonsense that it was. Some of their "evidence" was flimsy, some of it was just plain bizarre (they sent Albon out during a Pirelli tyre test to re-enact Hamilton's line through Copse and submitted the telemetry).

RYGJnDa.png

It's all such show-biz haha.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
There is more on this under the surface... Merc were pretty chilled about he situation (Toto didn't even go to the meeting) but their statement references their annoyance of the accompanying letter the RBR sent... no idea if that will ever come out though.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They should just get over it and go back to being the only real threat to merc in recent years. It's not a good look.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Primo shithousing from Hamilton, I can't wait to hear what Horner has to say.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Good job by the mercs. Lol at RB missing the time for perez last lap. Haha

Embattle

FH is my second home
From BBC:

'Gamesmanship', but no Red Bull complaints at Hamilton
We wondered if Red Bull boss Christian Horner would be unhappy with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton for going slowly on his out lap, denying Sergio Perez the chance to start a second flying lap in Q3.
Horner told Sky Sports: "It's a bit of gamesmanship. Lewis had a lap in the bank and is backing it up. It is his right to do that, he has the track position."

Probably should of stuck their cars out before the Mercs.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yikes, Bottas. Fucked the start and then fucked about 5 other drivers' races.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Bottas taking out both redbulls. Lol. Great start

seemed Norris got infront bottas backed off then locked up to try and avoid him

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What a start. Bottas you twat.

More hatred now between Mercedes and RedBull.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Fucking brilliant. The tin foil hats will really be screwed down hard at RB after this.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Interesting strat for Lewis.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
At least the race should be exciting now :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ok Merc have redeemed themselves a bit there. Brilliant idea to pit him and go for the undercut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom