The end of radar (ab)use in sight?

Armus

Fledgling Freddie
I was going over the VN boards recently, and in one of the posts, there is a quote from one of the radar maker's website:

As of DAoC client version 1.68c, Mythic has changed their packet encryption process which breaks <RadarName>. I applaud their efforts in stopping cheat programs! After two and a half years, they are finally taking steps to secure the game world for their customers.

The new process is much more secure, using RSA to exchange a symmetric key as well as swapping out their symmetric algorithm for a new one. If their RSA is secure, then this essentially protects the conversation from external sniffers. This is a giant leap forward from an otherwise reticent Mythic Entertainment.

Due to the spirit of this change and the large number of unscrupulous persons who profit from selling copies of <RadarName> somewhat dubiously, I have waylayed creating a patch for <RadarName> indefinately. v1.83 is the penultimate <RadarName> version, and it will not work on DAoC client v1.68c or above.
(The name of the software was replaced, even though it was pointless of me doing so. I doubt there's any regular readers of these forums who don't already know of at least one radar program.)

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but here's hoping it also breaks the other radar packages as well (permanantly). Even if it's not permanant, Mythic have at least appeared to acknowledge the issue.

Hargh

Fledgling Freddie
I read the forums every day and I don't know of one. I'm an old man tho and technology is too much for me.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Where there's a willy, there's a way. The cheator eleet of the world will unite and once more break free from the opressing chains of rules. Hear my words, i give you five days after the patch. Five days! And then there shall be thousands of variants, millions of bits of code, streaming through the veins of internet and flowing freely into the computers of those who wish upon causing havoc and destruction on the legit community.

Ahem...go mythic! :p

Mavericky

Fledgling Freddie
It will be interesting to see what guilds/people performance suddenly drops off when this patch comes out

Nave

Fledgling Freddie
Mavericky said:
It will be interesting to see what guilds/people performance suddenly drops off when this patch comes out

QQ, Mids will have such a hardtime without Radar :(

Herjulf

Banned
Nave said:

errr stupid fool pointing out a "realm" as a main offender, lol fool.

Logic would say that the one with most active grps have moste active radar users wouldnt you say?

I dont care who use the shit as long as it is stopped.

So being the investigator i am, i went on the vnboards and checked it out.

And i think the only thing it will stop is packetsniffers and users of some linux based radar program that uses packetsniffing.
There are other softwares out there that uses memory sniffing and those wont be affected.
HOPEFULLY that will be looked at also.

But what imo is very welcome is that it will be harder/impossible to sniff for daoc login + passwords.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Mavericky said:

lmao... that would be funny to see. I can think of at least 2 guilds (not going to mention realm or server) that will probably announce breaks from DAoC the week before that patch :D

Only works though if the new version is unhackable by radar progs, but we can all hope :D

Dook

Fledgling Freddie
Yea, it'll be interesting to see those guilds that always seem to be "in the right place" after this patch goes live here. The ones you hear 4 or 5 different reasons for them being in EXACTLY the right place at the right time EVERY SINGLE fight...

"We were going that way anyway"
"Stealther in our guild told us"
"We were lucky"
"stfu we pwn joo thats all!!!!"

Like I said, phun!

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Heheh, i cant wait to see the whine on VN about it, its gonna be obvious who uses the radar tools when a selected few start whiging about RvR being too hard, the good thing is i dont feel one single bit for them, idiots that use radar, sorry your time is up, please exit the building and please they the door hit you on the way out HARD.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Next step will be to fix that bloody 'drag-the-window-autolag' bug, loads of people do that to me. Get a nice PA on some mage, stick, hit CD and they ping back somewhere in the distance and start nuking you... :touch:

Should learn to play the game!

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Gef said:
Next step will be to fix that bloody 'drag-the-window-autolag' bug, loads of people do that to me. Get a nice PA on some mage, stick, hit CD and they ping back somewhere in the distance and start nuking you... :touch:

'drag-the-window-autolag' was fixed already. what you see is errr... lag.

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Gef said:

If CD lands unstick :p then you dont follow the lag ghost
As of DAoC client version 1.68c, Mythic has changed their packet encryption
and this took 2 1/2 years to do because....

Pohjan Poika

Fledgling Freddie
mythic has been on a anti cheater spree for a few weeks now :)
good that they have decided to do somethign about the lewsers that cant play a game w/o cheating in some way. now they only need to fix buffs so that you have to be in a group and within a range (like end reg) and everything will be peachy :)

Tuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Nave said:

hmm well, check this link.
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=3933&highlight=radar

in my eyes some albs in prydwen gona have alott more hard time what mids.
i am happy if everykind cheater get banned, and mythic make it so you cant use any radar program, faster is better.

it gona be fun to see how some guilds suddenly drop in rvr points.
have wonder, like so many other mids, how some guild/s is just correct time in correct spot, even this guild is not from realm what frontier mids is (cannot get info from /as)
early have image some of these guils (hib/alb) was nice and skilled players but lately have change my opinion.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Armus said:
Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but here's hoping it also breaks the other radar packages as well (permanantly). Even if it's not permanant, Mythic have at least appeared to acknowledge the issue.

Don't get too excited just yet.

This brings a temporary ending to packet sniffing radar programs, it is quite possible that they return if someone figures out how to get past the encryption. Although for the time being DAoC will be safe from this.

However it does not bring an end to memory based radar programs (ie. that certain program people pay for). The client does all the easy work for these sorts of programs and shouldn't have too much problems when the patch comes.

Still, a welcome change. :)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Honestly they need to make a small program inside DAoC that scans for these such programs, i think Rainbow 6 has it now on a new update where it scans for CD imaging software (Ones for virtual drives such as Daemon tools) then ceases to work, i think that would be more appropriate because then their game will be locked to them until they get rid of it! :D

Amuse

One of Freddy's beloved
Tuppe said:
hmm well, check this link.
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=3933&highlight=radar

in my eyes some albs in prydwen gona have alott more hard time what mids.
i am happy if everykind cheater get banned, and mythic make it so you cant use any radar program, faster is better.

erm.. This is one radar program... mids may be using another one..

I am not saying that mids use radar more than albs, couse honestly, no1 can realy know... i have heard rumours, but thats it.

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
The main problem is the fact that the Euro servers are months behind the USA servers in patching terms, by the time we actually get the patch 2 - 3 months down the line it has already been hacked in USA. It will follow the same trend as DAoX did.... So im betting they will be hacked and operational for every release day.

/tehquitfortehwin

:eek:

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
Online games all go down the same route as Cheater Strike in the end its just a matter of time before the leet kiddies get 2 wtfpwnusall. Only real preventative is admins/in-game CSRs who would have the power + the will to want to stop the cheats. Doesnt matter how tight the encriptions are they will get broken after all it is just probality and time working against them.

Sigurd

Banned
At the moment, the US servers are rife with cheaters. If I RvR every day (which I'm not at the moment thanks to artifacts) then it'll be rare for me NOT to come across either someone in my realm or an opposing realm who has some kind of radar cheat... the particularly stupid ones are people who say "inc" in group chat when OUR group is incoming to an enemy... and the enemy is over a hill or somewhere, often moving around etc.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
the particularly stupid ones are people who say "inc" in group chat when OUR group is incoming to an enemy... and the enemy is over a hill or somewhere, often moving around etc.

that could be inc lagg though (bad pcs stutter when a certain amount of other chars apear just out of clip distance).

Sigurd

Banned
I'd agree, but some of these enemy groups are in incredibly obscure places that no-one would ever check normally...

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
I'd agree, but some of these enemy groups are in incredibly obscure places that no-one would ever check normally...

a good player spins his camera around anyway, it doesnt really hurt to do it and you might see someone. Unless the person doesnt goes almost ld when he runs into 70 people, it is reasonable to assume it is inc lag.

Sigurd

Banned
I spin my camera around whilst running in RvR, it's dangerous as you sometimes lose stick, but it gets suspicious if the leader can take us to the exact point where an enemy group is running through 5/6 times in a row...

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Armus said:
I was going over the VN boards recently, and in one of the posts, there is a quote from one of the radar maker's website:

(The name of the software was replaced, even though it was pointless of me doing so. I doubt there's any regular readers of these forums who don't already know of at least one radar program.)

I dont know the name of any radar programs.

I really dont care.

Twisted

Fledgling Freddie
Kreig said:
Only real preventative is admins/in-game CSRs who would have the power + the will to want to stop the cheats.

Give ME the power .. GIVE it TO ME i SAY .... be alot less DaoC players about can teell you that .. DOnt like the colour of my CLOAK ... HA yur BaNNeD ...

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Herjulf said:
errr stupid fool pointing out a "realm" as a main offender, lol fool.

Logic would say that the one with most active grps have moste active radar users wouldnt you say?
Im sure he was being dead serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom