The end of Phoenix

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, can't say I am surprised.

All good things come to an end!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
This was always going to happen, this is why I was very confused when everyone jumped ship from Uthgard - which has a long and proven track record to Phoenix which has a track record of popping servers up and down all the time and having children as admin staff.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
There is a new daoc server in pipeline unknown when it going start tho.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Albion: 55 Midgard: 34 Hibernia: 30

Sad to see. If John Thornhill had an ounce of common sense he'd capitalize on this and get that classic server out they keep dangling in front of people.

Gwadien

Albion: 55 Midgard: 34 Hibernia: 30

Sad to see. If John Thornhill had an ounce of common sense he'd capitalize on this and get that classic server out they keep dangling in front of people.

I really don't think it'd actually work at this point tbh, especially if it's going to be sub based.

What I don't understand is how Broadsword is running anything at all, considering how much money they're not making.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I really don't think it'd actually work at this point tbh, especially if it's going to be sub based.

What I don't understand is how Broadsword is running anything at all, considering how much money they're not making.

They run Ultima and some other game too I think, they probably do make some money... just not enough for massive dev costs.

Gwadien

They run Ultima and some other game too I think, they probably do make some money... just not enough for massive dev costs.

I dunno why they don't approach the people that have done it and made it work :D

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Seems the Hib BG leaders have gone Warhammer until this Atlas server is up there also is another being done called ERA also heard devs on Phoenix may reopen they server at later date seems they want take a break.

Apparently if they do it be a total wipe

Gwadien

If they ban Drachengarde then I might be interested.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'm messing about on era, it's very early, instant rr13. No border keep guards atm so took a hero into camelot and killed a load of merchants :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Gwadien

I saw this on my phone feed.

It's pretty sad that Uthgard didn't get this type of recognition when it was clearly the superior server.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Personally, I hated Uthgard. I just don't think such a slow levelling process was necessary, we have all done it before.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Personally, I hated Uthgard. I just don't think such a slow levelling process was necessary, we have all done it before.

I didn't mind the leveling, but the elitist snobbery was a massive turn off. "You can't interfere with our 8 vs 8!" but they would happily gank you if you were a solo lvl 50, or even a just an xp'ing lowbie.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
I didn't mind the leveling, but the elitist snobbery was a massive turn off. "You can't interfere with our 8 vs 8!" but they would happily gank you if you were a solo lvl 50, or even a just an xp'ing lowbie.

2003 is on the phone, it wants it's bitch fights back.

Brilliance

Can't get enough of FH
I saw this on my phone feed.

It's pretty sad that Uthgard didn't get this type of recognition when it was clearly the superior server.

Hard and respectfully hard disagree. Phoenix was super fun because of all the in-touch-QoL, events and constant updates. Uthgard is a museum you visit for 30 minutes every 2-3 years to get your nostalgia check, painfully level from 1 to 3 and logoff.

Gwadien

Hard and respectfully hard disagree. Phoenix was super fun because of all the in-touch-QoL, events and constant updates. Uthgard is a museum you visit for 30 minutes every 2-3 years to get your nostalgia check, painfully level from 1 to 3 and logoff.

Yeah, I hear you.

But I was talking more about the server side of things - some of the staff at Phoenix were known shitlords and ran servers previously where they were known to do some pretty questionable stuff, that's why I gave it a hard pass, it wouldn't feel right playing it knowing that GMs could be making their own decked toons.

Uthgard also has the longevity - the server is dead yet it's still up, Phoenix going down after a relatively short innings was inevitable.

Uthgard was a nostalgia trip, that's why they were so committed to not moving from a certain patch, and they even nuked all the extra stuff they created from Uthgard 1.0.

What I don't understand about the freeshard servers is how people get to the max RR super quickly considering it took like 10+ years for the first on live, that's what kills freeshard servers as far as I'm concerned.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Hi, guess who just got the itch to play DAoC again and found I'm just over a week late. Boo hiss!

Everz

FH is my second home
I got the itch and yeah the old girl is dead.

Damn. Fuck playing Live, Broadsword are cancerous.

Is the WAR server saying much?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There are two new servers that people are working on that seem quite popular, Atlas (Classic/SI) and Era (Classic/SI/TOA in some form, possibly some other bits)

Broadsword throw out the odd lie about themselves working on one too, but clearly bollocks to keep people interested.

Everz

FH is my second home
There are two new servers that people are working on that seem quite popular, Atlas (Classic/SI) and Era (Classic/SI/TOA in some form, possibly some other bits)

Broadsword throw out the odd lie about themselves working on one too, but clearly bollocks to keep people interested.

Broadsword are a joke, the balance patch all those years ago was the final nail in the coffin, surprise theyve dragged it out this long.

Era sounds interesting, wonder why Phoenix closed the doors, seemed lively.

Try Celestius www.celestiusrvr.com

People who played Phoenix making thus server will have toa ruleset

Ohh nice nice.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Broadsword are a joke, the balance patch all those years ago was the final nail in the coffin, surprise theyve dragged it out this long.

Era sounds interesting, wonder why Phoenix closed the doors, seemed lively.

Ohh nice nice.

To be fair, the population numbers had got pretty bad when they pulled the plug, and they weren't really attracting many new players, so rather than a slow death they just ended it. They did say that one day they may have another go at it. They were also guilty of some unnecessary fiddling with classes, with one or two (hi mincers) just completely broken OP in that ruleset/patch level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom