The end of file sharing as we know it...

Athan

Resident Freddy
One thing to take into account is that the very earliest any of the DE bill anti-download stuff will be enforced is around Spring 2012.

A user's timetable to the Digital Economy Act

Although I think the biggest danger with people knowing this is that they'll relax and forget about the whole DE bill, stop badgering their MPs to do what they can to kill the legislation and in 2 years time get a big shock.

Of course I'm of the opinion that the BPI etc are in for a big shock when even if they see a fall in copyright infringement they won't actually see a causally-linked rise in income (i.e. just because someone 'pirates' something doesn't mean it is a lost sale... many will 'pirate' when there's no chance they would have paid for the content anyway). It's a bit hard to tease out such correlations (or lack thereof) though as such industries are in flux, even if they try to act like nothing's going to change. I believe there was a report recently about overall UK music industry income (maybe even profits) rising in the last year, despite CD sales falling, i.e. digital sales now account for more of their income than physical sales.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
many will 'pirate' when there's no chance they would have paid for the content anyway).

thats what i do. i download games i wouldn't have bought anyway because of dodgy reviews and such things in the hopes that the games are actually better then i was told.

i like my money, i would like to keep as much of it as i can, and buying a dodgy game that turns out is fucking horrible is imo bad economy on my part.

so i "steal" said games first, if they are good i buy them, if not i delete and save the cash. its a win win on my part, and thats all i care about.

here's an idea that would benefit everyone. why don't game developers just stop releasing bad games? that way we know all games are worth paying for and piracy will probably be dramatically reduced.

/edit: or they could release the full games as time restricted demos so ppl actually get a PROPER feeling for the game.

i mean, you don't loan 1/10th of a car to drive around in when your thinking about buying it and want a test drive for a few days.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Looking at renting a dedicated seedbox with a few friends. They aren't cheap, are they!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Compared to a TV licence they are, and you can circumvent this stupid new law with ease.

I think if I ever get a "warning", they'll be my first port of call, although I imagine that clever people will soon figure out a way to hide p2p traffic completely.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
All because the music and film/TV industries just can't be arsed to move with the times.

People will still download and still be hidden. All the money they have spent on this shit could have been spent on developing a modern, usable, online distribution system.

Rapidshare and co are still far more user friendly and faster than anything official so bollocks to them.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Looking at renting a dedicated seedbox with a few friends. They aren't cheap, are they!
I rent a full dedicated server (dual core, 2GB ram, 500gb HD, unlimited traffic) for £19 (before taxes)
Great thing about a dedi server is you can install just about anything.... mine is a seedbox, web server, teamspeak server etc etc :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, Cyradix, I may just look at renting a VM, and installing everything myself.

Athan

Resident Freddy
For now: PeerBlock ? Peerblock Site

It's peerguardian for vista/ win 7.

Whilst use of this might prevent you getting bad bittorrent chunks surely it does nothing to stop anyone who wants to know that you're part of the cloud for that particular bittorrent ? You still have to report you presence to the tracker so anyone else in the cloud can find you, and that includes anyone from/working for the RIAA/MPAA/BPI/etc.

Although I guess they have to verify a torrent is a violation in more than file name first, but you'd need everyone else to use peerguardian to stop them from getting a full copy. Once they've verified it's a copyright infringement they can just keep an eye on the tracker for who's part of it and send out notices based on that data, surely ?

Or am I giving the tossers too much credit in assuming they've worked out how to do this ? It might take a court case to decide if "this IP, between these times, advertised itself as being part of this torrent that we verified was an infringement of this work" equates to "the user of that IP infringed the copyright themselves".

Chilly

Balls of steel
beng present in the cloud is not the same as downloading something in the cloud. I think peerguardian stops suspected fed IPs talking to you direct, meaning they cant prove you ever transferred anything?

Athan

Resident Freddy
Why else would you be in the cloud? Remember the bits in the DE bill to do with this allow for the sending of nastygrams and subsequent disconnection (or whatever it is OfComm decide to set up) for alleged infringement. Apparently things got swayed a little at the last minute so that whatever body deals with appeals has to presume innocence rather than guilt, which is at least a step in the right direction, but I'd be unsurprised if the BPI initiates things for such alleged infringement based on your IP being in the tracker's DB at time(s) your ISP says it was assigned to you.

But, as I said, this is something it would take a court case or three to really decide.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
someone will find a way around it they always do till then im gonna stick to newsgroups they may at least be the hardest to detect atm seriously if they think this is going to boost sales they are really in for one hell of a shock. nothing will change until they stop charging the earth for mediocre songs/games/tv shows.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Funny way some comic put it(paraphrasing);

We've been here before. Anyone remember the taping casettes from the radio incident and how it almost crippled the music industry :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom