The Dumlun Run

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
We had to do a fairy tale two years ago in school and I just found mine on an old USB-stick and had a little giggle and thought that I might aswell share it with the rest of you:

The Dumlun run

Once upon a time, three boys lived with their very sick father on a farm. The boys had to run the all alone. Harvest the fields, feed the animals, and stack the hay and so on. Everyday when the boys had been out working, they would come home exhausted. It was such a demanding job to do, without their very sick father. Everyday the boys would sit by their father’s bed at night, and pray for god not to take him.
Suddenly one day when the boys were walking over the farmyard, a very old woman came walking up to them. She approached them and said “Hello there. I’ve heard you lads have a very sick father?” with a small smile and a little grin. The oldest, biggest and strongest boy said “That’s true. How did you know?” he said with a very firm voice. “Does that matter, young boy? I’m here to help you and your father.” the very old woman said. The middle boy said “And how would you be able to help him? We already had the doctor out here to take a look at him and he said there was no hope for our father!” with an anger in his voice and tears in his eyes. “I can help you! Believe me. All I need for my help will be the a little help.” The very old woman said with the same grin in her smile. The youngest boy asked “How can you help our very sick father?” “All you have to do is travel seven miles to the east and you will find a cave” the very old woman said. “Inside the cave there is a small goblin. He once stole my healing and magical powers. He is called Dumlun. Remember that. When you reach the cave, just shout out “Dumlun come out and run, run!” and you have to beat him in a run.” The very old woman said. The two oldest boys said “No one in the entire world has healing or magical powers! Don’t bother us with your nonsense! Move along!” and they turned around and went back up to the house to see their very sick father.
The youngest boy believed the old woman. He said “I will do as you said!” and he ran off. After a bit of running he saw a cat stuck with a paw under a beam on the roadside.
“Please help me out of my miseries! I will help you when it is needed the most!” The cat moaned. The boy lifted the beam as if it was a feather and freed the cat. “There you go” the boy said “you are free now.” “Oh thanks a lot! I will never forget you” the cat said and ran off. The boy kept running east until he found the little cave. He shouted “Dumlun come out and run, run!” He could hear the echo all through the forest. When there was echo no more a silent came. No birds singing, no wind blowing… Nothing.
The silence was quickly broken when the small goblin stuck its head out the cave and yelled “NOW?!” The boy was standing open-mouthed staring at the goblin. He pulled himself together and replied with a firm voice “Yes! Right now! ” The goblin waded out of his little cave. “I just fell asleep, you know” it said grumpily. “I do not care. You once stole the healing and magical power from a woman and I want them back!” the boy said in the most threatening way he could. “Ah… So that is what this is about, huh? Ok, fine. I will race you, but there are a few rules. 1st we will run best out of three, 2nd no stepping in front of each other nor pulling or tripping each other and 3rd what will I get when I win?” the goblin said and rubbed his hands. The boy had not thought of that. What did he have to offer the little goblin? He took a good look at the small goblin. His eyes stopped at its legs. They were small and fat. He thought to himself that the goblin wouldn’t stand a chance against his long legs. “Well” the boy said “I will be your personal servant if I can’t beat you in a race” he said and smiled. The goblin looked at him and then said “You are not the biggest and strongest boy I have seen, but I am sure a little help would not be a bad thing” the goblin replied “we have a race each day at sunrise, so we will be able to gain our strength for the next race. The first race will be at sunrise tomorrow so be sure to get a good night sleep” it said and turned away and walked into its cave. The boy found some moss he could lay on and fell quickly asleep.
When the sun was almost up, the little goblin woke up the boy” Are you ready? Because I sure am!” it said and jumped up and down. They lined up and the goblin started counting down “1, 2, 3, GO!” it yelled. The boy almost didn’t even get started before the goblin was at the finish line. “Ha ha! No one can beat Dumlun” it said when the boy got to the finish line.
The next morning they were at the starting point again. 1, 2, 3, GO!” the goblin yelled again. The boy was faster this time and was almost as fast as the goblin, and to his big surprise the goblin tripped about 1 yard away from the finish line and the boy got in first. “You must have cheated!” the goblin yelled and again started jumping up and down, but now in anger. “You shall not win the last race tomorrow! I will beat you and win!” it said and turned away into its cave. That day the boy was thinking of a way how to beat the goblin. It was faster than him and he knew it. At the end of the day the boy was tired of thinking all day and sat down and began to cry. He would be a slave for the rest of his life, he was sure. “Meeeooow” the boy heard and turned around.
It was the same cat he had saved on the road. “What are you crying for young boy? Is there anything I can do for you?” the cat purred. The boy told the whole story to the cat, about how he had to beat the goblin in the race or his dad would die and he would be a slave for the rest of his life. “Leave that to me boy. I will help you. All you have to do tomorrow is countdown for the race” the cat said, turned around and ran away.
The next morning the boy and the goblin were at their places again at the starting line. “You have counted down the last two days, I can only see that it is fair that I count today” the boy said. “Well sure boy. I will beat you anyway” the goblin said while laughing. The boy started counting down. “1…” nothing “2…” the cat jumped out in front of the goblin and started purring and cuddling up the goblins leg. “3…” the boy said and got ready. “No! Not yet! I have a cat on my leg!” he shocked said. “GO” the boy yelled and began running. The goblin tried to keep up, but had no luck. He lost the race and the boy won back the healing and magical powers. The goblin ran around in his little camp shouting “Stupid cat! Stupid cat! Stupid cat!” The boy could not care less. The goblin gave him a shrine with the very old woman’s powers in it. He turned around and ran home as quickly as he could.
He got back in time and gave the old woman her powers back. As a reward she cured his dad. The dad and his three sons lived happily ever after.

Hope you enjoyed it :)

Edit: I got an A for this ;P

cazno

Fledgling Freddie
Hihi;p great story, i liked it:) have a rep =)

sorry could't rep you;o already done or so =(

Bahumat

FH is my second home
haha very good. I dont mean to be anal but if you'd split it into paragraphs it'd be so much easier to read.

Good effort though, was a good short story/tale :p

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
haha very good. I dont mean to be anal but if you'd split it into paragraphs it'd be so much easier to read.

Anything by you is a....well short story ;P

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad

hehe ye, looking back at it now I see that ;P

But it was just a copy+paste from Word and it all kinda fucked up and too much editing on it so I ran out of time to split it up :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom