The Difference between 512mb ram and 1024 mb ram

Poox

Loyal Freddie
I have 512mb RAM now, and i still have some lag in thidranki, and when a group pops out of nowhere in rvr...

does anyone know if memory would improve that? if I upgraded it to 1024mb.. my other pc specs are

Geforce 6600GT
AMD Athlon 64 processor
3000+
1.81GHZ 512mb RAM

Also my load times are pretty slow.. would it improve that?

Also, is there any other amount of ram between 512-1024 that would do anything?

shaark

Loyal Freddie
yes u will need 1gb of ram in Daoc coze lots of texture need to be charged and if u play at high rezolution the pc can hang a bit

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Better yet, go for 2Gb or more and select the 'cache all' option to really reduce the slowdowns. :)

Poox

Loyal Freddie
Ok, so if you see my PC specs further up...

What would sort of be the memory that those specs are equal to

So as an example, a 1.5procc and a geforce4 might be equal to 256 or 512 or whatever.. im not saying it is.. but its an example

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
There really isnt a direct relationship between CPU and memory requirements (although your chipset will determine what type of RAM you can use). THe amount of memory you should have should be determined by the software you use. By todays gaming standards however 512 Mb is very low, personaly I would definetly make the jump to 1gb of ram at least.

BTW: Have you underclocked your CPU? shouldnt the clockspeed be closer to 2.167GHz? What speed are you running the FSB at?

Poox

Loyal Freddie
Whats an FSB? And how do I know what chipset I have so I can figure out what memory I can use?

edit: also can you just upgrade memory? so like i put another 512 in or something

because i only recently got the 512 and i dont want to waste it

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Open up your PC and check to see if you have any free RAM slots. If the 512mb came as two 256mb sticks you might be out of luck (unless your motherboard supports more than this, which is unlikely if you just bought the PC as a whole unit from a bulk reseller like Dell or PCWorld).

If the 512 is only one stick you should be able to just buy another another 512mb stick and stick it in aswell. If you go for cheap RAM it should cost about £25-30 for a 512mb stick. I.e.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3153

Before buying any however you should inspect the RAM (or the receipt from when you purchased the RAM) to identify what type of RAM you have. Its likely that their is a sticker on the side saying something like PC3200 (DDR400) or something similar, this is the type of RAM and if you want to guarantee compatiability and have them work in dual channel they should be the same type. Alternatively if you know what your motherboard is read the documentation or search the web to find what types of RAM you can use.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
The FSB is the 'front side bus', its basically the communication pipe between the key components in your system. The speed of it will have a direct effect on the overall speed of your PC.

Just checked and for the AMD Sempron™ 64 1.80 ghz is the correct core speed so ignore my previous comment. Im running the standard 3000XP and its core speed is higher than that which just confused me for a sec.

Poox

Loyal Freddie
memory so it wouldn't lag when just one fg mezzes us or so..

and so the load times are a little quicker..

Umgrud

Fledgling Freddie
Poox said:
My dad fitted different parts, so it's all different bits not just one computer... he should know how the memory came.. ill ask him when he comes in :)

thanks for info :)

edit: to go with camelot.. in RvR what do you think would be a suitable memory so it wouldn't lag when just one fg mezzes us or so..

and so the load times are a little quicker..

My pc specs for you and the game runs fine on this not meny lag spikes, due to gfx lag.

Intel® P4 (3.00 GHz) HT
2058MB Dual 400MHz DDR
2x160GB (Sata) HD
256MB GeForce 6800 Ultra
17" LCD TV / Flat Panel Monitor

ohh edit
my m8`s got a amd64 and he find loading times slow.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
You should get DDR400 RAM and best to get a matched pair of (low latency - gamers RAM) 2 x 1 Gb's fitted. Plenty on the market and alot cheaper than they were a year ago.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
I find one gb of ram fine for DAOC. Personally I would never want to get rid of the incoming lag. For me it is a brief (<1 sec) pause atm, and is an invaluable tool when panning to predict where the other group is coming from.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I think speed of ram is quite a big issue, no point filling up your computer with 99999gb of ram if its slow to use it. :).

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
You noway need 2gb ram for daoc...perhaps for battlefield 2 game or something along those lines, if you want good ram get Geil value ram usually around £100 here in the uk for a pair of 512mb sticks.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
With PC you speak about you won't get single lag using one account configuration with 1024 MB RAM. It's more than enough for current DAoC. Also size of your graphic card ram (I assume you have 256MB) helps to reduce main RAM load, you'll simply be fine...
as for upgrading, I'd suggest you go for Corsair XMS TwinX ram, and in case you can spend a bit more, UL series (ultra low latency)...
Though you won't have any gain in such a fast RAM in case your original one can't match it's performance (which I sincerely doubt about)... Also, for AMD system you don't need RAM with CL better than 2.5 since AMD can't work with faster models (officially) and you could have severe stability problems if you put faster CL in BIOS manually.

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
i have some lagg on mine to and its a AMD Sempron 2800+XP with 1.5 gb ram and radeon 9600 pro 256 ddr or ddr2 ram...but thid when many ppl isent so bad...RvR is worse when many comes

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
To hi-jack this thread:

Can I have a 512mb stick and a 256mb stick in my computer and get full use out of them?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Bugz said:
To hi-jack this thread:

Can I have a 512mb stick and a 256mb stick in my computer and get full use out of them?

Assuming they are the same speed speed, yes you will get full use. If they are not the same type but your mobo supports both types they will still work together but they will operate at the lowest of speed of the pair. i.e. a 256 mb stick of ddr333 and a 512mb stick of ddr400 will work together but the overall speed of the memory will be ddr333.

boppas

Fledgling Freddie
Poox

To check what FSB/Ram your mobo supports theres 2 things you can do:

Visually inspect the mobo & somewhere on it there should be the name of the Brand such as Asus/Gigabyte/ECS/Abit etc followed by the model number

or

When ya pc boots up (before it enters the POST) at the top or bottom (usually the bottom) of ya screen it will tell you the make/model jus be ready wit pen/paper ;)

Once you get this info just google it & you will find everything you need to know about what type of ram ya mobo supports & what the FSB speed is.

As for Matched ram that someone mentioned:
Again you will only really notice the real benefit of matched ram if your mobo supports "Dual Channel" & most the time buying a "matched pair" of ram sticks costs a little more although sometimes you can get it for the same price as 2 single sticks, So dont bother limiting ya self to looking for matched sticks unless ya mobo supports them....they will still work fine ofc but chances are you will pay extra for a matched pair but you will get no performance boost unless ya mobo supports Dual Channel as i said above :) .

But i would say make sure you get Branded over none branded..theres alot of cheap crap about nowadays that you might not have probs with at 1st..but then later on you might have probs wit ya system & its down to errors on the cheapo ram sticks ^^

Also dont be put off by AGP cards..atm (unless you gunna spend £££'s on a new card theres very little difference (atm) between PCI-e & AGPx8 in terms of performance especially at the lower end of market... sure, in time PCI-e will be the way togo but atm its early days & the only big difference you gunna see between PCI-e & AGP is at the higher end of market..also unless ya mobo is less than 6months old (or thereabouts) your mobo wont have a PCI-e slot & if atm your using AGP..then 99% ya mobo wont have a PCI-e slot as PCI-e boards dont have an AGP slot :)

Prices of AGP cards are dropping alot due to PCI-e, so look about & you will find a bargain ;)

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
For anyone that is thinking of upgrading RAM and their motherboard supports dual channel then I can highl;y recomend downloading a program called CPU-Z, just google it and will show manufacture details of you RAM as well as many other things about your CPU that can all be helpfull, I am also assuming from memory that it tells clock settings and what not. Highly recomend it as with most brands of RAM you can then type in the manufacturers code and find the same stick :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom