TV The Day the Immigrants Left

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
BBC iPlayer - The Day the Immigrants Left

Anyone see this last night

Synopsis: Take a bunch of unemployed benefit-milking Brits, give them paid jobs that are currentl being undertaken by migrant workers, and see if they stick with it

Results: A couple of Brits managed to work productively after they'd gotton over their initial perceived language barriers; the rest of the Brits didn't disappoint anyone looking to label Britain's long term unemployed as lazy, workshy, having a shit attitude, lousy attention to detail, and being shit at the job.

All the employers said: if the migrant workers left, they'd be out of business. They're better and harder workers than the Brits

Watch & discuss.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The Brits on show were a disgrace to be honest, it is as if they picked the stupidest and most feckless available. I know good few people currently out of work and not one of them would have conducted themselves in the manner these guys did, all they did was moan and slag the foriegn workers off because they couldn't be bothered to keep up.

Sadly there are alot of unemployed Brits with exactly that attitude, we are rapidly becoming a nation of fat idle wankers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That's the problem though cho, the benefits underclass that exists and blames everyone else for their problems. Immigrants are easy targets.

Overhaul of the benefits system is badly needed in this country.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
These things are always one sided, they tend to pick certain people on purpose cause they will fail

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
These things are always one sided, they tend to pick certain people on purpose cause they will fail

Did you watch the program? You are making a massive assumption there.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
That's the problem though cho, the benefits underclass that exists and blames everyone else for their problems. Immigrants are easy targets.

Overhaul of the benefits system is badly needed in this country.

Did you see the program? Lad of 23 gets £40 a week, how the fuck can he live on that? Oh I know, weak mother who panders to his every need. That is why we have over 1 million under 21's out of work, weak parents making it too easy for them lazy fuckers to stay at home and play video games all day. For fucks sake that 23 year old lad had twice as many video games as I do, who is paying for that because it isn't benefits! It is his mother rewarding him for staying at home and being an idle fucker.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
He had his head in the clouds tbh, was talking about how he would be able to help his mum if he got a job. Start helping her by not living like you are earning a fortune!

That is why we need an overhaul. You have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation benefit kids, that don't know any better and are raised to rely on handouts. I doubt any government would be brave enough to do it though, it's a lot of votes they would lose.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
He had his head in the clouds tbh, was talking about how he would be able to help his mum if he got a job. Start helping her by not living like you are earning a fortune!

That is why we need an overhaul. You have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation benefit kids, that don't know any better and are raised to rely on handouts. I doubt any government would be brave enough to do it though, it's a lot of votes they would lose.

The benefits are fuck all though, really, fuck all. In caps for good measure, FUCK ALL! :p

Come on seriously, 40 quid a week is a complete joke unless your parents are subsidising you. I know a 21 year old lad who was made redundant over a year ago, is really struggling to find anything more than a few days here and then doing temp work. The benefits they give him are 50 quid a week and they pay his rent. That 50 quid has to pay for food, heating, water, clothes and bus fares at a bare minimum. Don't tell me that living on benefits is easy because it is not, UNLESS you are raping the disabilty benefits in which case you taking roughly £300 a week out of the pot including rent. Everyone else on benefits struggles unless they are working on the side, selling drugs or out on the rob.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's the combination of benefits though cho, paying rent through the DSS, job seekers, then people claim for disability etc. Those with kids get extra money too. Oh no council tax to pay either.

Then you have to consider how many people abuse the system and work anyway while claiming. And that is a scary amount, come across lots of people since I've started doing property lets.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Watched this, it was fairly interesting. It was the comments of the employers rather than the "random" Englishpeople theyd chosen that interested me though.

I like how the presenter also assumed that the guy doing up the houses used foreign workers as he could pay them less (which a lot of people assume) rather than what he said, that they get paid the same but work a lot harder than some locals that he's used.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Did you watch the program? You are making a massive assumption there.

I havent yet but being that i worked in media before my IT job and after the army i know what these shows are like. BBC are just as bad as the rest of them

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's the combination of benefits though cho, paying rent through the DSS, job seekers, then people claim for disability etc. Those with kids get extra money too. Oh no council tax to pay either.

Then you have to consider how many people abuse the system and work anyway while claiming. And that is a scary amount, come across lots of people since I've started doing property lets.

You can't get jobseekers with disability, another common misconception. The problem with benefits is that too much is paid out at the top end and not enough at the bottom end. So as you said single mums with 3 kids end up in a situation where they get more on benefits than they could actually earn with with tax credits.

The biggest problem is the 1 million young people who aren't working, they aren't getting good money at all but far too many don't want a job either. As I said before, the parents subsidising is a massive reason why.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
jobseekers works out at around £8 a day
thats fuck all
disability benefits isn't much more
you can't claim jobseekers AND disability at the same time

If you're on jobseekers you have to go back every week and show them what you've been doing to look for work. Once you go on New Deal they'll force you into a training scheme which guarantees some kind of work. If you refuse that they cut you off benefits. If you go into a Job Seekers Plus centre, and go onto their computers there are PLENTY of jobs if you're not fussy. If all you want is money coming in, you CAN find work. If you're not fussed what u do, you'll find work. And it will pay more than benefits as you can top it off with tax credits. Some (not all) some Brits are just too fussy too lazy and have unrealistic expectations of finding employment back on the level they were on before. Yes, people have got bills and mortgages to pay, but thats not a problem of a lack of jobs. There are jobs out there. Combine that with the growing malaise of the unemployed underclass and you have a situation which is probably impossible to fix, whichever government is elected in May or June....and yes, the programme did seem to pick a bunch of particuarly stupid fuck wits, but there are a LOT of such people about. Pop into ANY high street pub.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I did not mean people claiming job seekers and disability together there, just a badly written sentence.

The biggest change should be in housing, that eats the most money. For example just because someone has a child does not mean they should be able to get their own place. If their parents home has space, they should not get anything from the council. Same with elderly people. Far too many people who think that it's the council's job to house them, and that they have a god given right to claim for a place to live when they already have a roof over their head.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you're on jobseekers you have to go back every week and show them what you've been doing to look for work. Once you go on New Deal they'll force you into a training scheme which guarantees some kind of work. If you refuse that they cut you off benefits. If you go into a Job Seekers Plus centre, and go onto their computers there are PLENTY of jobs if you're not fussy. If all you want is money coming in, you CAN find work. If you're not fussed what u do, you'll find work. And it will pay more than benefits as you can top it off with tax credits. Some (not all) some Brits are just too fussy too lazy and have unrealistic expectations of finding employment back on the level they were on before they were made redundant. Combine that with the growing malaise of the unemployed underclass and you have a situation which is probably impossible to retrospectively fix, whichever government is elected in May or June.

Every two weeks, and the way they check what you have done is a joke. they simply sign off what you have written in a "log". New Deal does not start until 6 months later, and it doesn't offer enough to really get people back into work.

A lot of the jobs on the job seekers computers when I was looking had already gone, yet where still being advertised.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
A lot of the jobs on the job seekers computers when I was looking had already gone, yet where still being advertised.

Not to mention that a local search will more often than not net results from the other end of the country.

The benefits system in this country really is arse-backwards. The Tesco I work in is right in the middle of one of "those" areas. Full of near illiterate, foul-mouthed shysters who wouldn't want a million pound job if it was offered to them on a plate. Seriously, these people walk around the shop with trollies full of name brand stuff, Tesco Finest food, expensive alcohol etc and yet I work, my missus just got made redundant from her job after Maternity leave but worked solidly for the last 8 years and yet we can barely afford the bills, let alone expensive food and such, and that's with "help" from the council R.E housing benefit and council tax benefit. We'd be better off if I wasn't workign and we got everything paid for us but I refuse to do that.

The benefits system does indeed need a major overhaul.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Not to mention that a local search will more often than not net results from the other end of the country.

The benefits system in this country really is arse-backwards. The Tesco I work in is right in the middle of one of "those" areas. Full of near illiterate, foul-mouthed shysters who wouldn't want a million pound job if it was offered to them on a plate. Seriously, these people walk around the shop with trollies full of name brand stuff, Tesco Finest food, expensive alcohol etc and yet I work, my missus just got made redundant from her job after Maternity leave but worked solidly for the last 8 years and yet we can barely afford the bills, let alone expensive food and such, and that's with "help" from the council R.E housing benefit and council tax benefit. We'd be better off if I wasn't workign and we got everything paid for us but I refuse to do that.

The benefits system does indeed need a major overhaul.
:iagree: ^^^ Q F F T !

I do my 9-5 (with some overtime at times) and yet I'm struggling to make ends meet each month.

Zede

Part of the furniture
I havent yet but being that i worked in media before my IT job and after the army i know what these shows are like. BBC are just as bad as the rest of them

But Sparx, if the bbc has a program on it, its got to be the truth right ? like... its a fair and honest representation of the vast majority of young people out of work in the uk. It HAS to be, the bbc says so.

You could take 10 other 'youths' and get a totally different result, but that makes crap tv.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Its true like they would be fucked if the migrants buggered off :p that said most of those brits who probably took part in that program probably had 0 qualifications meaning if they did work they'd get such a shit wage they'd be financially better off on the dole which no one can deny... even tho its still not right.

That said the benefit system in the UK today is a farce, it'll all change if labour get knocked out of power.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Just think, without them we wouldn't be able to have kebabs on the way home at 2am in the morning.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
at least if u work in the kitchens of a curry house you have the pleasure of ejaculating into the curry pot and serving it upto pissed English wankers when they pile out of the pub at 11pm

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think the problem is that kids are told they can be anything they want to be when they grow up, the harsh truth is that they can't, when they do join the "real world" they find that employers just aren't willing to give people a free ride, they are in business to make money. Deadwood and the underskilled have never got a free ride and never will.
Some people are more academic while others are better with their hands while some (its sad to say) are good for very little. Its a bit like on the X-factor when you get the utterly dreadful singers convinced they have got talent because nobody has had the balls to say, no sorry you are shit, try something else. When I was at school there was plenty of opportunity to do creative or manual study, woodwork, metal work, mechanical, engineering etc. These days its all maths, English, science, which is fine for those that are suited to it but useless to those that aren't interested or capable. There is also the work ethic, I don't know whether its because of the consumer driven society that we live in or what but it seems to me that people expect someone else to do it for them while the foreigners understand that to get something you have to work for it, whatever that work may be its better to work for it than just sit around and expect it to land in your lap.

kids need to be taught that they do not have a god given right to walk into a 30k a year job upon leaving school. The lazy and the feckless should be forced into employment there is plenty that needs doing in the country. Up the benefits to minimum wage but make people work for them to do, road sweepers, cleaners, road repairs.

It made me laugh that the two guys that did the potato packing were moaning that the work was too hard (on the first day, they did ok the second) they used to be ditch diggers, cable laying etc, whenever you see these people they all seem to be standing around discussing the hole they have just spent two days digging, lazy fuckers.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Its true like they would be fucked if the migrants buggered off :p that said most of those brits who probably took part in that program probably had 0 qualifications meaning if they did work they'd get such a shit wage they'd be financially better off on the dole which no one can deny... even tho its still not right.

That said the benefit system in the UK today is a farce, it'll all change if labour get knocked out of power.

I'll deny it.

£50 a week dole, £100 a week housing benefit for a flat, £20 a week council tax benefit.

Versus

40 hours a week at £5.82 = £232 plus working tax credit.

No contest, work pays, even the lowest paying jobs pay better than basic benefits especially with tax credit topups.

Again, the problem with benefits is at the top end and not the bottom. The 1 million unemployed under 21's is much more to do with bad parenting than benefit levels.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Maybe I should be clearer. Ok, the 1 million or so people claiming Incapacity Benefit long term. That is £105 a week or so, combine that with housing benefit and council tax benefit and suddenly it doesn't pay to work. Many of those people on IB are genuine but a good 50% aren't, they are off work with long term issues like 'stress' and 'depression' or the classic 'bad back' for which they neither require nor will have surgery to fix. In short, fucking scammers.

You see I am talking from personal experience here, I have had major spinal surgery on a couple of occasions and had to claim Incapacity Benefit at one point. My case was 100% genuine, I have the scars and nerve damage to prove it and will from the rest of my life. However there are 100,000's out there getting IB because they are able to get thier GP to keep signing them off on Med4 forms for bogus reasons, they are the people that work doesn't pay and so they scam the system. Don't even get me started on Disability Living Allowance either, free cars for all plus £50 cash and if you can blag it carers allowance for a loved one for another £50 a week!

As I said, the problem is at the top end of the benefits system. Fix those issues and then tackle the youth unemployment problem by making them work 12 hours a week for thier dole, suddenly the country is in a much healthier position as we just wiped tens of billions of pounds off the benefits bill and started a national public works program to get the streets clean, repair the potholes etc.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yep, we very much need a Roosevelt style New Deal program. When I was on the dole (only for 3 months), I would have happily done some community work just to ease the mind numbing boredom of having nothing much to do.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Or a nice curry :p english people fail hard at making curry.

Aside from inventing 90% of the take-away currys we get in this country.

Being on the dole is lame, i hated it. It wasn't to do with a lack of money, my dad had a spare few quid to help me out at the time, it was the sheer boredom of sitting at home on my arse all day that got me.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'll deny it.

£50 a week dole, £100 a week housing benefit for a flat, £20 a week council tax benefit.

Versus

40 hours a week at £5.82 = £232 plus working tax credit.

No contest, work pays, even the lowest paying jobs pay better than basic benefits especially with tax credit topups.

Again, the problem with benefits is at the top end and not the bottom. The 1 million unemployed under 21's is much more to do with bad parenting than benefit levels.

It's an interesting argument if we're relating it to under 21's.

18-21's can be paid a min of about 4.83 - which is 193.20 a week. 16's to 18's -> 3.60 or something stupid - 144 a week.

So if someone signs on at 16 - it is viable for them to stay on till their 18. By that time, they will probably enjoy the easy life, stay on at 18 - lose a bit of income etc.

In that case - your dole money is 20 pounds less than the working money. And for that you gain 40 hours more of leisure. I can very much see the attraction in picking one over the other.

What happens if you can't get 40 hours a week?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, we very much need a Roosevelt style New Deal program. When I was on the dole (only for 3 months), I would have happily done some community work just to ease the mind numbing boredom of having nothing much to do.

Perhaps a New Deal would work through a downturn but if you think it'll help to elevate the lower bounds of the country out of the benefit-dole stages enough to justify the cost, then you'd be wrong in my opinion.

Roosevelt's New Deal worked because the unemployment rate was so fuckin high that people across the demographic spectrum were unemployed. Those unskilled and at the bottom of the labour pool didn't really change or develop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom