The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time.

leggy

Probably Scottish
..by Mark Haddon.

This was in the booker long list this year, but never made it further (don't stop reading yet)

It is a detective story with a difference. In the sense that it is told from the perspective of an autistic 15 year old boy. I swear this is one of the funniest (and most bizarre) books I have read. The way haddon has captured the logic of an autistic child is brilliant. Even if it is likely to be slightly innacurate.

If you haven't read it. Do so now. It's a fairly easy read, but well worth the time if you want a laugh.

Kaitlyn

One of Freddy's beloved
I tried to buy this from Amazon last night but they said it wasn't published yet. :mad:

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
make sure your not trying to buy the paperback version. HB is out atm paperback couple of months iirc

Kaitlyn

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks both, ordered and hopefully delivered soon. :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
Kaitlyn said:
Thanks both, ordered and hopefully delivered soon. :D

I actually have to warn you, despite my first impression of the book, it actually pulls the heart strings a little later on. I won't spoil it for you, I just don't want you starting a thread saying "omgs leggy is a lier and made me cry".

:)

Sar

Part of the furniture
I got it the day before yesterday in Tesco for £3.73! :D

Finished it today - bloody superb. I would never have considered buying it except for this thread. Glad I did, great book, instant favourite.

The part where
he finds the letters from his mum, and you realise she isn't dead
genuinely surprised me, which is the first time I've ever had that from reading a book. It didn't occur to me that
she might not actually be dead.

Bloody excellent, and well recommended.

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
I was looking for a book last night and it just so happened that I stumbled on this thread got the ebook version from Palmdigitalmedia.com and read it at work today. Great book :)

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
Not to be all 'consider the lily' but:
When he first spoke the old woman with the dog, (Mrs. Anderson?) I concluded that his mum wasn't dead and had just run off. Similarly, I guessed that his dad had killed Wellington
Although, figuring that out didn't get in the way of what was a pretty enjoyable read.

Well worth a look.

Trebz

One of Freddy's beloved
Definately a recommended read, didn't feel like I'd gained anything from the book and not entirely sure I'd read it again, but it was a unique read and really enjoyed the style of it.

Damini

Part of the furniture
It's also £3.70 ish in ASDA, which is where I bought it. It's amazingly written, and fantastically rationalises the thought processes of someone autistic, suddenly making it all seem really logical and not all that strange after all. I bought it to read on the train, and ended up devouring the whole book in a day.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Good book this. Suprised me in how simply it was written yet how it still managed to grab me. Made me understand a helleva lot more about autistic people anyway. Got rid of a few prejudices as well, like how he numbered the chapters, I thought it was the kid being unable to count.....sorted that one out anyway.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I bought the book because of this thread too, and it is another reason why I am glad I visit Freddies :worthy:
Thanks leggy for pointing out an excellent read.

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom