The Carpet People / Truckers etc

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hi Guys

Can you recommend book along the line of The Truckers and Carpet people? I really enjoyed bot of these books and would like to read some more along these lines.

Cheers :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Good omens is verry good, or right about any diskworld book.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Carpet people is alot like the diskworld stuff, trucker et al isn't really though.

think my first diskworld book was men at arms so i would recommend that or Guards Guards

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers doods

Keep them coming :) I have justed finished eric that was good :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Darthshearer said:
Cheers doods

Keep them coming :) I have justed finished eric that was good :)

aye eric is good

You could always look at The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency serries (both by Douglas Adams). Verry funny books but a different style from Pratchett.

(as said before btw 'Good Omens' is (imho) the best Pratchett book so far

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Strata and The Dark Side Of The Sun are two sci-fi books by Pratchett which were pre-Discworld and are actually very good, in fact one of them (I think Strata) has a Discworld style planet in it !

Also Discworld related is The Science of Discworld, and The Science of Discworld II, both have good stories running through them, plus theres the Discworld Companion :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
you know truckers is first part in a trilogy?

i went from there to other fantasy series and ended up at WoT ^_^

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Mary Gentle's Grunts is good, very funny - a lot more 'adult' than the Carpet People or Truckers though. Agree about Good Omens though, one of the funniest books ever, although I personally think its the Neil Gaimen influence that makes it great, as I've never been much of a fan of Pratchett - bit twee for my taste.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Oh my god, i remember reading Truckers when i was 8, nostalgia! I'd certainly reccomend Discworld and Damini knows quite a few books that have that sort of comedic yet serious bordering on insanity side.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
If you like comedy fantasy, the brentford novels by Robert Rankin are pretty good, as are the Armageddon books. Not quite in the vein of truckers/the carpet people though.

There's also a new book by TP similar to them, called the 'wee free men', which you may like, as well as any of TP's book's for kids, just avoid his 'science fiction' (Strata, etc.), it's terrible!

Astfgl

Fledgling Freddie
Eric is possibly my favourite Discworld book (my name is taken from that), but it's probably closely followed by Guards Guards, or Soul Music.

Tom Holt is also a very funny author, who is very similar to Pratchett, in some respects.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
My favorite Pratchett books are always the ones that star either Death or Sam Vimes.

If you're looking for a good set of comedy books then I strongly recommend the Red Dwarf books. I'd go as far as to say that Rob Grant and Doug Naylor's novel writing is even better than their script writing.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
For a Slightly different, humour thing, try Harry Harrisons, Stainless Steel Rat books :clap: . Also for a pure formulaic pap but nonetheless mildly entertaining read try Robert Aspirin, there are two series if I remember correctly The Phule books, about a band of mercenarys set in space, and the Myth Inc books about a magician and his cronies..

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom