The Bloody Post Office

Kryten

Old Cow.
And now they're striking again.
Fine.

Except all that post I urgently need. And no doubt the countless other millions expecting something.

If you have a problem with your job, find another one, you bunch of lazy arsed whinging moronic fuckbags. Stop holding the general public to ransom. It's not our fault. So why punish us?

Gits.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I think its more a case of them being unhappy with the closing down of most branch offices. And those that get to keep their jobs getting a pay freeze or asked to take a paycut.

Of course, are we talking about post office counters or Royal Mail :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
God knows. The end user (Us) is rarely happy - and that's hardly a suprise - the staff don't think they get paid enough, Royal Mail do.
Branches are closing everywhere, for seemingly little reason.

I don't like the post office for the closures or their general attitude, and I dislike most of the staff for being greedy sods with little thought of what they're doing to the public.

The public lose, either way.

mank!

Part of the furniture
a mate of mine is striking and for none of the reasons you've suggested, so i think you're way off the mark.

anyway, i'm completely behind them.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Absolutely regardless of the reason they are striking:

Why are they holding the public to ransom for it, when it's not our fault.
Whatever it is. There's lots of ways to fight their corner without resulting in the loss of a vital service.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
My mum has worked for the post office for about 17 years now, and I know the Unions and strikes are partly because of the closures.

Then again from what I understand, the Royal Mail and Post office counters Ltd are 2 seperate areas, and if this is a Royal Mail strike it wont be because of the reasons I stated :).

Strikes are not usually to punish the Public, its to punish the Company by losing them revenue. I wonder what the services will be like when WH smiths take over.

Clown

Part of the furniture
If you have a problem with your job, find another one, you bunch of lazy arsed whinging moronic fuckbags. Stop holding the general public to ransom. It's not our fault. So why punish us?
If you have a problem with Royal Mail, don't use them, you lazy arsed whinging fuckbag.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No wonder courier companies are handling more and more mail. Half the letter I get seem to come via TNT.

And Clown it is not our choice who we receive mail via, it is the senders.

My friend is a postie and he cannot afford to strike, nor does he want to, but he has no choice as the union has voted.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
...There's lots of ways to fight their corner without resulting in the loss of a vital service.
I don't really understand this, please name 3 things they could do to "fight their corner" that wouldn't involve interrupting their work and, ultimately, our service?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Fine.

Except all that post I urgently need. And no doubt the countless other millions expecting something.

Gits.

actully it is your fault, you're using them regardless of how they're treated as employees, only way they can show they want to be treated differently is by doing this.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You mean taking advantage of the fact they run an essential service to get extra cash or benefits.

I really can't be arsed with people who strike, it's always those who work on essential services that get away with what basically amounts to blackmail.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I suppose they could just do a half arsed job instead, fight back at the system that way... although, if my postman is anything to go by, a few of them are using this strategy already. :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I suppose they could just do a half arsed job instead, fight back at the system that way... although, if my postman is anything to go by, a few of them are using this strategy already. :)

Ah, widely known as "doing a Homer"

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I believe that the right to strike should be cherished, without it people have very little way or ability to change their circumstances.

Out here, 500 nepalese workers, who work on building sites for abnormally long hours, went on strike as they had not been paid in 3 months (as is normal out here for indian/nepalese/thai low-wage workers) and demanded better working conditions from their company. Also, I believe the company had reneged on a few promises that they had made in the contract.

The end result?

All 500 nepalese workers were arrested and deported by the police. The company has had no action taken against it. The reason why? Its illegal to strike.

Sometimes you dont realise how cherished something is until you lose it

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Arrested by how many police officers?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Unions calling for strike action always seems odd to me really.

Company: Sorry guys but we are in the shit and need to close bits down/sell bits off to remain a viable company.

Unions : Fuck you buddy, STRIKE!

Company : Oh dear now we have lost more money we need to close/sell more stuff.

Unions really should be banned as they do no good what so ever, EVER

-J-

Loyal Freddie
Fine.

Gits.

I'm a postman! but I forgive you :fluffle: Perhaps if you knew anything about what is happening you might understand why were on strike but it seems you don't have any idea.

First of all were striking because the money grabbing muppets that run the company want to get rid of 40,000 jobs over the next 5 years and hump us over on our pensions, pay and any chance of a bonus for the future. You try living on £300 a week and see how you fair.

The 2.5% pay rise they are offering us is 1.4% below the rate of inflation for starters so if they keep that up we won't be able to afford to live, now add to that a bonus scheme that relies on the managers doing their jobs correctly for us to see anything (my last bonus for the year was £50). compare that to the bigwig managers Leighton and the others who got just under £1,500,000!

As for our pension, that's only at a deficit of £5Billion and rising, thanks to the idiots taking a 11 year holiday from bothering to pay anything into it.

Having said all of that I do think it's unfair on the public who end up getting screwed over with all the hassles it causes for us to make a point. Perhaps if RM used the £1.25Billion they just got from the government none of this would of happened, but no, they say were 25% overpaid and 40% under worked! I bet none of them have had to lift more than their coffee's in their offices and have no real idea what the hell really happens to get 55 million items a day delivered!

Feel free to flame away, trust me it's like water off a ducks back to me now, and yeah I'm looking for a new job in a company that are willing to listen to their staff and treat them like humans instead of fucking us over at every turn in the road.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'm not specifically having a go at the posties - most of which are some of the nicest folks I know.

So perhaps it's the union I should be having a go at. I don't know. I don't really want to know the particular reasons behind the strike, it's not really my business.

End of the day, I/We/Us/You do not have a choice as to who delivers our mail. The important stuff and more annoyingly our bills will all come via the Post Office. To an extent stuff that isn't through Royal Mail is still delivered by the same postman. Rather like water companies - you either put up with the supplier you have or - well ,or what?

I was asked to name 3 things people could do instead of striking:

1. Petitions
2. Actually sitting down with a nice cup of tea and talk things over with the problem causing people.
3. Firebomb the people causing problems.

Yeah, striking is gonna lose them revenue. A helluva lot. It's gonna force action, too right, you're not leaving them with much choice.
"Where are we going to lose the most - leaving people with no mail for x days, or giving these people a hefty pay rise" (example only)

I have absolutely no problem with people fighting their corner - there are employment rights, employers should respect them, as should the employees. I have often wondered about those poor souls who are dragged along with the ride as -J- points out, folks who can't afford to strike but have little/no choice.

Try living on £300 a week? I do. Both of us. Have done for ages, even less in the past. That's not particularly a bad wage around here. May well differ in London where the average can of coke costs the same as a small house in the Cotswolds, but still.

End of the day, I just don't like seeing such a vital service cast aside because of a pay rise, or whatever the reason is. People rely on that. Our old folks get their pensions and what not through that. I understand they are trying to keep those services running, but what if they cant? Doesn't bear thinking about.
I just like to fight the corner from the publics POV every now and then.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
You try living on £300 a week and see how you fair.[/I]

After tax? I'd be pretty damn peachy to be honest, it's more than i'm currently making (until i start the new job anyhoo).

Seems all a bit stupid to me really, the union will no doubt fight their corner - probably exaggerate the truth etc. And the bosses will fight theirs, probably sugar coating the truth.

What they need to do is just get together and have a good chat about the whole thing without all this childish silly buggers stuff.

-J-

Loyal Freddie

1. Petitions
2. Actually sitting down with a nice cup of tea and talk things over with the problem causing people.

1. Petitions will do squat, why? The government are the people running the Post Office!

2. We have this thing once a year at work called "have your say" and every year the same things are said, the managers then sit down with us and ask us how to solve these problems, guess what. For the past 6 years we've told them the same thing over and over and they still come back to us asking us what they should do to make things better.

3. No. 10 won't take kindly to things like that :(

£300 might sound nice but I live in Kent, now every office in Kent "apart" from the one I work in gets extra money towards to cost of living! Just to put this into context, RM opened an International sorting office about 5 years ago to deal with all the inbound Mail from abroad. Being someone with common sense where would you build this super office? For me the answer is easy, you build the office near to the main travel routes around the UK and find a place where the jobs are most needed! But wait RM decided to build this wonder office in Slough, where £300 a week wouldn't even cover the basic cost of living. This might give you some kind of idea as to the wonderful people running a company that Everyone relies on but it gets better than that. There are 160,000 people currently working for the Post Office, what the managers want are people that only work part time hours! Why? well they don't want to have to pay more than they have to on pensions, sick leave, holidays, and all the other stuff that companies normally pay for.

I really could rant on all day about the way the company is going down faster than water over a cliff but it's not helping anyone get anything done. Yes I do understand that they need to get with the times and increase work rate while cutting costs, but they knew this was coming years and years ago. But they choose to ignore the threat.

On a final note. I'm living on the bread line, as most are nowadays. Yeah I hate the fact that the only way for anyone to take note of what is happening to anything is for people to stand up and cause shit for everyone else. I have some good friends that will be crossing the picket line today and it's going to cause more hassles (which I really don't need) but it's something that I'm going to live with!

Bullit said:
After tax? I'd be pretty damn peachy to be honest, it's more than i'm currently making (until i start the new job anyhoo).

Yeah that's £300 a week for working nights, that means I get £70 more than the others who don't work nights, still peachy?

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd do it, if i didn't like it i'd find another job. Quite simple really.

-J-

Loyal Freddie
I'd do it, if i didn't like it i'd find another job. Quite simple really.

Tell me about it, I'm always looking for a better job. Just wish I knew what I want to do with the rest of my life. If anyone has a spare job which involves me sitting on a beach in some sunny country drinking beer and watching the wave lap up the beach give me a shout :worthy:

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Tell me about it, I'm always looking for a better job. Just wish I knew what I want to do with the rest of my life. If anyone has a spare job which involves me sitting on a beach in some sunny country drinking beer and watching the wave lap up the beach give me a shout :worthy:

If you're any good at chemical engineering.....quite a few jobs out here that we end up spending alot of time doing that :p

gmloki

Part of the furniture
I'm not specifically having a go at the posties - most of which are some of the nicest folks I know.

So perhaps it's the union I should be having a go at. I don't know. I don't really want to know the particular reasons behind the strike, it's not really my business.

End of the day, I/We/Us/You do not have a choice as to who delivers our mail. The important stuff and more annoyingly our bills will all come via the Post Office. To an extent stuff that isn't through Royal Mail is still delivered by the same postman. Rather like water companies - you either put up with the supplier you have or - well ,or what?

1. Petitions

Yeah, striking is gonna lose them revenue. A helluva lot. It's gonna force action, too right, you're not leaving them with much choice.
"Where are we going to lose the most - leaving people with no mail for x days, or giving these people a hefty pay rise" (example only)

I have absolutely no problem with people fighting their corner - there are employment rights, employers should respect them, as should the employees. I have often wondered about those poor souls who are dragged along with the ride as -J- points out, folks who can't afford to strike but have little/no choice.

Try living on £300 a week? I do. Both of us. Have done for ages, even less in the past. That's not particularly a bad wage around here. May well differ in London where the average can of coke costs the same as a small house in the Cotswolds, but still.

End of the day, I just don't like seeing such a vital service cast aside because of a pay rise, or whatever the reason is. People rely on that. Our old folks get their pensions and what not through that. I understand they are trying to keep those services running, but what if they cant? Doesn't bear thinking about.
I just like to fight the corner from the publics POV every now and then.

If you want to have a go at anyone I would suggest having a go at the management of Royal Mail and the Post office. Not the staff who are striking nor the unions who represent the staff. The Unions are there to arbitrate in disputes between staff and management.

As a Union rep myself I have never once suggested strike action but if the people you represent are genuinely agrieved with their pay offer we always ask what are you prepared to do about it. In most cases its nothing so they accept the fair deal put on the table. The call for strike action in most cases comes from the staff not from the Union.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm a postman! but I forgive you :fluffle: Perhaps if you knew anything about what is happening you might understand why were on strike but it seems you don't have any idea.

First of all were striking because the money grabbing muppets that run the company want to get rid of 40,000 jobs over the next 5 years and hump us over on our pensions, pay and any chance of a bonus for the future. You try living on £300 a week and see how you fair.

The 2.5% pay rise they are offering us is 1.4% below the rate of inflation for starters so if they keep that up we won't be able to afford to live, now add to that a bonus scheme that relies on the managers doing their jobs correctly for us to see anything (my last bonus for the year was £50). compare that to the bigwig managers Leighton and the others who got just under £1,500,000!

As for our pension, that's only at a deficit of £5Billion and rising, thanks to the idiots taking a 11 year holiday from bothering to pay anything into it.

Having said all of that I do think it's unfair on the public who end up getting screwed over with all the hassles it causes for us to make a point. Perhaps if RM used the £1.25Billion they just got from the government none of this would of happened, but no, they say were 25% overpaid and 40% under worked! I bet none of them have had to lift more than their coffee's in their offices and have no real idea what the hell really happens to get 55 million items a day delivered!

Feel free to flame away, trust me it's like water off a ducks back to me now, and yeah I'm looking for a new job in a company that are willing to listen to their staff and treat them like humans instead of fucking us over at every turn in the road.

Try working in the private sector .. well the private secotr that isnt ex public sector

I had no pay rise what so ever for 3 or 4 years a little while ago while my company were making billions of dollars in profits.. all becuase the CEO had stated that we were going to save 1billion a year.

No unions no strike just have to like it or go get a new job.

I dont see why that shouldnt be the case for you. Last year I got 1% pay rise woohoo but not recourse to anything and raising the inflation rate doesnt float with management either.

Live in the real world not in your molly coddled i get a bit pissed with the pay deal so lets go out on strike.

If they werent paying enough they wouldnt get the labour to fill the positions. The union is in effect damaging the UK economy for 1.4% on your pay packet and trying to stop it being able to make a profit which is what all business is about after all.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
The last "strike" we still got our post.... maybe our local posties didn't care.

Its only going to increase the speed the government aims to completely privatise the mail network and frankly good. I hate that one union can take down what is a basic service, what is this? France!.
Many companies = no problem. don't know quite how it'll work mind... but hey ho, These days most business stuff is going via private companies, no one under 50 writes letters any more apart from the cards sent at Christmas and Birthdays, and everything else is done on the net.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah tbh J, I don't get pay rises inline with inflation, but because I dont work for an essential public service I can't strike and cripple the nation.

And posties used to be good, now I hardly ever see the same one and they can't tell the difference between Woolwich and woolworths.

Megarevs

Loyal Freddie
Tbh people who say unions are useless or unionist are retards, say bye to you vacation and say hi to 12 hours shifts...

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh people who say unions are useless or unionist are retards, say bye to you vacation and say hi to 12 hours shifts...

Then get a new job if you don't like the one your in... simple answer to stupid statement. We don't live in the 1970s any more (strangely enough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom