the big valk post

hanza

Fledgling Freddie
orginally posted on guild forum before 1.81

---------------------------------------------------------------

decided to make a post about the right valk spec .. i have been reading much about it this morning and i have seen pretty supid things about how to spec it etc ....so here are my two cents.

you may agree or not and as usual all comments are welcome but please if you are willig to roll a valk read this before you start:

the first choice you will have to make is going spear or sword/shield (S/S)

most people for some obscure reason want to go S/S ... going S/S will surely gives you better solo ability and if you like to play stun and hit this might be very tempting .....

look at it more closely ... having a good S/S spec will leave you with low Odin's Will (OW) that is the valk spell line ... some will argue that getting a crap rez at 43 is nothing but a waist of point .... right ... but what about the cone shear d/q ? well anyway with a decent S/S spec you wont o higher than 33 OW .. and THIS is a waist of point!

u d better go 50shield 50 sword .. but .. ho wait ! that s a warrior spec !!!

you got it all wrong, if you wanna play stun and kill roll a warrior, more powerfull as fun as a valk and more wanted in groups. full stop! there is no point to roll a valk to do a warrior's job !!! mark my words!!

now you have a clearer idea of what you should or should not spec into.

wise and only choice left is: Spear.

go 50 spear to get last bleed style (insane in TG)
go enough in OW to get the last red D/Q shear ... if u fancy u can get the red pie shear but it s no use imo (same reuse timer on both shear and u ll always pick D/Q over pie as it will affect tanks as much as caster)

then get 7/8 in shield to have engage.. rest parry (31) and you have a nice valk ready to deal awsome domages with PBAOE spear style chain. your role here is not a warrior's but more a zerker's ... with chain armor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI i have been rolling a valk since cata released while everyone was rolling a lock.... imHo this class have always rock. always been missing decent RA but a very good interrupter over all.

i m presently stormlord spec and i dont mind about the 3rd Ml line thing yet... wait and see what mythic will give.

avalk will give u hard time if u defend tower /keep with it that s a fact.

now things have improved a lot (charge ftw, mending spec .. still need some more info about that but i feel there is something good behind this)

i ve read today something about valk vs zerker:

vav, after some testing i m almost sure a zerker (and any dual wielder) will own a valk 90% of the time

but valk will also own thane 90% of the time (have been into heavy duelling with some thane of my guild and that s what statistics showed)

but still refering to the above post i d rather get a valk in group than a zerker; OK zerker's DPS is higher but all he can do is hit and run. in an assist train a valk can shear (cone) and interrupt while running (pulse) while dealing domage (pbaoe) the dps is lower ofc but i wonder about valk/zerker dps with an aug healer in group (assist tank train) kinda easy to cap swing speed on a valk with a fast spear (CW = 4.5) anyother slow spear might deal a nicz amount of damage.

most people think valks are gimp because they mistake about their role. they give some very nice flexibility to the group:

their interrupt will give a break to the shamy to rebuff or assist a bit in healing for exemple the cone snare will be the pain in the ass vs tank assist train; and their weapon skill is now getting decent (thx to the little improvement)

now it depands what u are looking for in your group but we all know duel does not reflect the arsh reallity of rvr. getting owned by a zerker is something i can leave with but in rvr situation if i have to make a choice valk> zerker.

a point you also have to consider is that valkiry are very badly known by our opponements !! get yourself a wing helm and u will see how stealther start to jump you :) very fun to see how they start to ftw when u start hitting them with your spear :D oh and even more fun when they try to vanish away :) cone of effect FTW.

it s never to late to realise that u missjudge a class. valk have been left apart for too long. but they ARE a good class.

now go roll your valk if u want to be ready for 1.84!!

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
No don´t roll valks. I want to be one of few and not become FOTM. :(

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Well I owned vav also using my ix thane lol, anyways I have to do some testing myself with diff classes against valk in duel..

In that I concur that if you don't know how to play shadowblade, and what weapon to use against valk, valk will wipe the table with ya..

And yes I got a valkyrie myself. And its templated :)

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
It's true that spear is better than sword, but dont forget that the shield line has had some changes too. It is actually possible to use the shield as primary weapon (shieldmaiden spec). Damage is obviously lower, but defense is higher, and it leaves spec points to use elsewhere (mending). Shield stat is dex so str is not necessarily needed in template.

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
I wanne take both ure zerker and thane on again ix, i told u at those times my valk wasnt ready, also that figh vs ure zerker was unusual were standing there for minuts, both missing unusual lot. ure malice procced also if im not mistaken. and u won witgh ure thane unbuffed :p str/con advantage ftw i would say :). First lets trade that belt (got a nice offer for you) and then duel !.

ill ready the head post when i go ttime, just saw ix post :p

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
I suggest to all ppl not making a template yet, ive spended over 300of plats templating my valk, And with the new line coming ull need to get a whole new template. Ppl with a groupspec in mind should go, 42shield (at least), and 40+mend and odins. thats the defensive spec that can work nicely, Get some cash or friends together, Get Guthlac, charge/det, in ure template a PP of at least 40% with capped piety. Nerf str if u have to nerf something and cap Dex. Get con as high as possible same for hits. Then in the end ull be a nice Defender who can block like hell with at least 2500-2600 hits (i got 2450, but u should get higher with the added hits in 1.83) able to block whoever in group needs it for the assist train, u can shear buffs, use insta cones, pulse cones, snares, proc, magical ablative pulse, instant heals. Sounds good doesnt it? And .... if things goes all crazy and we get banelord, then the story is just complete :p. but warlord is good enough :)

X

xGenocidex

Ixoth said:
Well I owned vav also using my ix thane lol, anyways I have to do some testing myself with diff classes against valk in duel..

In that I concur that if you don't know how to play shadowblade, and what weapon to use against valk, valk will wipe the table with ya..

And yes I got a valkyrie myself. And its templated :)

thing about valks melee is.. there totally useless when run out of end :( no proc style spam then = owned

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Dont roll valks >.< dont want it to be a fotm class.

And jsut a heads up - I can easily compete against or kill any DW tank. (apart from dt mercs in which case I jsut snare and kite for 30 secs)

As for a guide , here is a nice one

And as for specs these are the two I used and found quite nice in solo and FG

Sword & Shield :42 Shield
43 Odin's
47 Sword

Spear: 50 Spear
48 Odin's
31 Parry
7ish Shield

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Agrigo said:

And jsut a heads up - I can easily compete against or kill any DW tank. (apart from dt mercs in which case I jsut snare and kite for 30 secs)

43 Odin's
47 Sword

48 Odin's
31 Parry
7ish Shield

These are indeed the right specs, but 1.84 gives mend lines, thats the prob atm

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Agrigo said:

43 Odin's
47 Sword

48 Odin's
31 Parry
7ish Shield

Those are the pre-1.84 cookie-cutter speccs aye. But post 1.84 not even Mythic knows so far ;)

All I know is I am gonna have 1 shieldmaiden and 1 spear valk.

hanza

Fledgling Freddie
can easily compete against or kill any DW tank. (apart from dt mercs in which case I jsut snare and kite for 30 secs)

well i tried to duel savage ... didnt win a single time (and i had to convinced him that using selfbuff was cheating :p) only tried unbuffed and best i could do was getting him down to 30% (so i have to admit that i have been pretty owned :eek:) i guess the outcome would be similar with zerker....

vav dont waiste your time you will just be a dead valk if u duel a zerker :p

and i still belive it s too early to talk about 1.84 valk spec i (want to) belive that mythic didnt throw all it's cards. and i m still waiting for:

a 0.5 addidtional spec point/ level will be given to the valkiry and a free respec will be granted.

btw anyone know if free realm respec will be granted for 1.83 ? acces to charge kinda change everything doesn t it ?

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
valks won´t get more specc points. Would be stupid if they did.

And personally I have defeated plenty of zerkers with my valk. both as spear/parry and spear/shield specc.

Mercs I hate because of DT. BMs need to dump on me more or less. Champs I hate :(

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
xxManiacxx said:
valks won´t get more specc points. Would be stupid if they did.

And personally I have defeated plenty of zerkers with my valk. both as spear/parry and spear/shield specc.

Mercs I hate because of DT. BMs need to dump on me more or less. Champs I hate :(

shiedl spec is easy mode vs zerkers rofl, slam
x odins deathblow = death zerker :). i dueled Unetes zerker last nite, i didnt win, most of his evades. i asked to let me 2 style em and took away 38% HP with 2 swings. Like i say if a valk gets 4-6 styles of the target will be dead.

Btw i have beaten warriors to, but only 2h fights

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
vavires said:
shiedl spec is easy mode vs zerkers rofl, slam
x odins deathblow = death zerker :). i dueled Unetes zerker last nite, i didnt win, most of his evades. i asked to let me 2 style em and took away 38% HP with 2 swings. Like i say if a valk gets 4-6 styles of the target will be dead.

Btw i have beaten warriors to, but only 2h fights

well if they purge slam u don´t have much defence left ;)
But yeah, 2 wind/round chains should take care of most ppl unless u get unlucky with proccs.

hanza

Fledgling Freddie
was not even talking about S/S spec thaught i mentionned spear spec ftw somewhere .. maybe in the original post :D

ofc shield spec gives u a stun that it a great advantage in duels

but once again if u want to slam around roll a warrior :) there are better at it

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
hanza said:
was not even talking about S/S spec thaught i mentionned spear spec ftw somewhere .. maybe in the original post :D

ofc shield spec gives u a stun that it a great advantage in duels

but once again if u want to slam around roll a warrior :) there are better at it

I might go back shield with 1.84. its a bit messy atm to think of a good spec for 1.84. worst for me is to change my template again :'(

hanza

Fledgling Freddie
will most probably just try to swap some point from parry to mending at first to see how it works .... then i might consider a full respec to shield mending but i will wait untill we have more outputs (feedback from US servers)

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
hanza said:
will most probably just try to swap some point from parry to mending at first to see how it works .... then i might consider a full respec to shield mending but i will wait untill we have more outputs (feedback from US servers)

My idea exactly. I only need to see how good the new spell is we get in 1.83.

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Just did a good checkup onpatch notes of 1.83/1.84 and think this spec will be liked:

43 Odins
42 Mend
42 Shield
21 Sword

With this spec u also use every possible spec point :p.

hanza

Fledgling Freddie
well, i dont like that spec at all ... 21 sword ?? i mean :eek:

my view of the thing is: your gonna deal domage with shield style mainly so go and use the shield spec maximum ( maybe try go 45+ shield)

drop the sword !! i mean no difference between 21 sword and 0 u d better not rely on sword if you are gonna miss / be parry 95% of the time u try to hit i d rather go parry (21 parry 42 shield) to be a defence chick

i d comment more the mending spec when i can use some decent calculator etc ...

did u come up with that yourself vav or did u find some already up to date calculator ? (i m still very unsure about those stackable HoT i mean in what mesure are they stackable? what the limit would be , etc... so depending on that u might wnt higher mend/lower weapon spec or lower mend higher shield/weapon spec)

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
hanza said:
well, i dont like that spec at all ... 21 sword ?? i mean :eek:

my view of the thing is: your gonna deal domage with shield style mainly so go and use the shield spec maximum ( maybe try go 45+ shield)

drop the sword !! i mean no difference between 21 sword and 0 u d better not rely on sword if you are gonna miss / be parry 95% of the time u try to hit i d rather go parry (21 parry 42 shield) to be a defence chick

i d comment more the mending spec when i can use some decent calculator etc ...

did u come up with that yourself vav or did u find some already up to date calculator ? (i m still very unsure about those stackable HoT i mean in what mesure are they stackable? what the limit would be , etc... so depending on that u might wnt higher mend/lower weapon spec or lower mend higher shield/weapon spec)

Yes i agree with you, U can also place the point in parry, or get higher shield if you like. And i came up with it myself, looking at patchnot'es 1.83/1.84.

brad

Fledgling Freddie
vavires said:
I suggest to all ppl not making a template yet, ive spended over 300of plats templating my valk, :)

And still a gimp. :D

Konstantin

Fledgling Freddie
my valk gona be
42 shield
48 Ow
42 mend

seems like a fun speck to me.. think me and grymligast was first 2 valks ding 50 on pry ?? if im not misstaken.(moderna 4tw) ran a wile whit Smek GG whit it and was a blast, then someone tricked me to roll a svg :(

Strega

Fledgling Freddie
Will the valk hot work on sm pets? Hello mentalist if yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom