The Big Server Wipe Debate

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
The Korean beta ended yesterday and the game was released.

Players who are currently in the open beta test have the latest version of the World of Warcraft client and can continue playing once they input their preferred method of payment. Those who are new to the game can visit the official Blizzard website for instructions on how to download the client and begin playing.

Now we all know in the US the servers were reset, but do you think the above means "Continue playing your beta character" or "continue playing but you'll have to start again"?

Difficult to decide, personally I am all for a server wipe.

Zed

gin

Fledgling Freddie
I wish they would tell us either way. I'm holding back from horde because I don't wanna ruin it on release day, but if they decided to not wipe then I'll start my horde char now... I know there are busy but it doesn't hurt to give us some indication of whats gonna happen. Even news about the news would be good.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I think its safe to say there will be a wipe - the french community manager even inadvertantly said so in a thread on the french forum when someone asked if they could reserve their character names from fb for release with a comment along the lines of "you'll have to hurry and recreate your character in release so noone takes you name" or something like that. Dont have the link to the thread but it was brought up on the english official forum by an astute poster.

gin

Fledgling Freddie
I could also seem them not announcing this facts because a lot of people will stop lvling there char because they want to wait till release and thens its not so much of a stress test.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
I dont see how that could mean anything other than people don't need to re-d/l the client. There is no way on earth that they don't wipe. Why do you all keep talking about it?

Aada

Part of the furniture
I remember in the US open beta i used to laugh at people who thought that blizzard wouldn't wipe.

It would be stupid market tactics not to wipe.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:
I think its safe to say there will be a wipe - the french community manager even inadvertantly said so in a thread on the french forum when someone asked if they could reserve their character names from fb for release with a comment along the lines of "you'll have to hurry and recreate your character in release so noone takes you name" or something like that. Dont have the link to the thread but it was brought up on the english official forum by an astute poster.

Thanks for that :)

Asha said:
I dont see how that could mean anything other than people don't need to re-d/l the client. There is no way on earth that they don't wipe. Why do you all keep talking about it?

It's a hot topic for both people who are for (like me) the wipe and those who are against it. Plus it kills some spare time.

Aada said:
I remember in the US open beta i used to laugh at people who thought that blizzard wouldn't wipe.

It would be stupid market tactics not to wipe.

Yes you could argue that I suppose.

Elenos

Fledgling Freddie
Blizzard have let you play for what .. roughy a month. Added to that you get a free month upon purchasing the actual game. Do you really think that blizzard want all the final beta testers to have 2 free months of WoW ? Say thats 20,000 people each paying £8, a potential £160,000 being lost to the final beta!? you must be crazy. You try explaining to your boss that you are going to lose £160,000 just to make the people that already worship your game - worship you even more. I'm sorry but i really cannot see it happen. In the interest of fairness as well, putting people on a level playing field is good. Those who played the beta will know the quests and will be able to get a head start thus creating the complete range of levels in a short amount of time.

How could you release a game with 100's of people already lvl 60 and at the end of their PvE career ?!!?

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
there isnt a debate.. ofc there is a wipe

the retail servers will have different names and there will be many more than there are now

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
I agree, there very likely will be a wipe. It still seems odd that Blizzard are so adamantly refusing to comment on it (the usual answer being "tba"). I'm not convinced it would noticeably affect server populations if they announced that they are, in fact, definitely wiping (which is taken as a given by many players). Even if it did, they could release a few more thousands keys and make some needy children happy :)

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Same thing on every beta I've been on ppl talking about it.

They allways wipe (unless like CoH, where they wiped and gave pre-order customers a 3-day headstart).

But they allways wipe betachars.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
NC Soft didn't wipe L2 beta but L2 was a bitch to exp and imo they fucked up the game by doing that. It creates way too big a gap between beta and normal players, especially in a game where it takes a month to get to the top levels.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
The "continue playing" means you don't have to make a new account like new beta players have to, cause you already made that in beta, all the chars will be whiped though

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
I would like to seem some recognition in terms of a title or tabard or something for the proper BETA testers (not the ones like me that are playing free for a month in FB ;) )
A wipe is exactly what I expect (particularly important on a PvP server btw)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, 'cause they are "somebody" 'cause they got randomly selected.

Or not.

living

Fledgling Freddie
Its prety clear they will wipe.. because, i bet servers will be renamed when retail is out so how do u know which server was urs?

And there wont be any RolePlay servers before release, and if no wipe, no1 is gonna play them - another thing is that there will most likely be MORE servers on release and they will be empty cuz no1 wanna play there when they can play their character on another server, and the new ppl dont wanna play on a dead server..

Im glad they will wipe because it would completely ruin it for me if people was lvl 60 when retail hit, then it will be impossible to sell items from my leatherworking:D

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Whoever thinks there wont be a wipe is a fool. Whoever doesnt want a wipe is a fool.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
Zedenz said:
The Korean beta ended yesterday and the game was released.

Now we all know in the US the servers were reset, but do you think the above means "Continue playing your beta character" or "continue playing but you'll have to start again"?

Difficult to decide, personally I am all for a server wipe.

Zed

Im definatly for a server wipe too. One of the things I like when starting with a new MMORPG is everybody has to start from 0. Of course people will level faster than me, but it's the idea you all had the same starting conditions. It would ruin the whole "beginning" idea at launch.

And besides, looking from a financial point of view it's the smartest choice for Blizz to do. Not only do people have to level again = longer subscription, they will probably hook up with new people they like, which is another reason people stick to an MMORPG, the people they know in the game.

living

Fledgling Freddie
Stekkerdoos said:
Im definatly for a server wipe too. One of the things I like when starting with a new MMORPG is everybody has to start from 0. Of course people will level faster than me, but it's the idea you all had the same starting conditions. It would ruin the whole "beginning" idea at launch.
Excatly! :)

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Yeah, 'cause they are "somebody" 'cause they got randomly selected.

Or not.

actually some people were chosen because of who they are and their guild... not randomly

I don't think beta testers should get anything extra in release. They have knowledge, that is enough.

As for knowing what server is yours? You autolog into the server you were on last, it's not rocket science.

Tapper

Fledgling Freddie
they gotta wipe. one thing that has annoyed me with mmorpg's in the past is when i first logon there are people who are already many lvl's above me. eg, SWG loads of americans joined the euro servers to set up bussiness empires. they already knew what they were doing so they lvl'd much faster than us. also the servers were up before the euro game shipped so they also had a head start aswell.

besides I am using the FB as a test ground for different characters, I'm planning to play a few classes to around lvl 20, giving me a taste of what its like but not spoiling it completely.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Heh, some people who joined in closed beta have characters higher than mine after they've been playing just one week ... so it's not much of an issue for me. Wipe away I say, wipe away!

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Asha said:
actually some people were chosen because of who they are and their guild... not randomly
Yeah... and I was totally unaware of that.
icon_rolleyes.gif

My point was that those who believe the closed beta testers are worth anything special at all is not thinking straight. They already got the tiny little "something" by getting to test the game. That's really enough of a reward. (I seriously doubt even half of the selected testers actually bugged anything, which is a shame and a waste of space)

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I am a FB tester only, so I wasn't blowing my own trumpet. In fact, though, I disagree with you that the first Beta testers don't deserve recognition. Remember that those who did slave through constant rollbacks, squishing bugs so that FB could be so good - were hardly enjoying themselves.

Corporal Carrot

Fledgling Freddie
Tapper said:
they gotta wipe. one thing that has annoyed me with mmorpg's in the past is when i first logon there are people who are already many lvl's above me. eg, SWG loads of americans joined the euro servers to set up bussiness empires. they already knew what they were doing so they lvl'd much faster than us.

I'm neither for or against a wipe, but I struggle to understand your mentality here - what does it matter to YOUR gameplay experience if someones higher level than you? Its not a competition nor do I see how it impairs your experience. It gets you high level gear on the Auction houses and less people all in 1 zone (higher levels will mean a more even distribution of players to zone).

In fact, that said - bearing in mind the problems the US are having with capacity in starter zones , I'd say I'm probably swaying on a FOR non-wipe but maybe not everyone (like say a proportional split based on level, or a "Lucky lottery")

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
[TB] Benedictine said:
Remember that those who did slave through constant rollbacks, squishing bugs so that FB could be so good - were hardly enjoying themselves.

If they didnt like it, I'm sure there were a few hundred thousand people who would willingly replace them.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
they only never enjoyed themselves because people are addicted before they even start this game :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom