The best act in the world today!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Okay. So i've expressed my feelings about who i feel are the worst act in the world today (See my Blazin' Squad thread), so i thought i'd follow it up with a thread for people to discuss the best musical act today.

My vote would go to The Coral. My reasons for this are;

1 - James Skelly's Vocals & Vocal Writing ability. - I think this man has written some of the best vocal lines i have ever heard. He has a superb range of topics aswell, which i think helps no end. Take the lyrics from songs such as Leizah for instance (Clicky) and then the lyrics from a song such as Bill McCai (Clicky) and hopefully you'll see what i mean! :)

2 - The Guitarists. - Not the bunch of most talented musicians in the world but the write some fucking good riffs (eg. Goodbye/Pass it On)

3 - The blend of thier music. - The Corals music, imo, doesn't fit into one particular catagory. There are elements of R&B, Country, Rock, and some of the guitar riffs even manage to verge on Metal :p

4 - They put on one hell of a live show ^^

Well, thats all i can think of right now as i've only just got up. So if you feel up to it add who you think are the best act in the world today. And by today i mean still touring/recording albums etc. Oh, and i want reasons, not just the band name!

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Ah a more positive thread. :D

Id like to point the limelight towards one of my favourite bands and probably alot of metalheads agree with me. Im talking about progressive death metal band extrodinare, Opeth. In a genre filled to the brim with copies and tradition they blend there innovative death metal with 70's progressiv music and somehow keep it interesting all the way thru.

The first thing I love about them is the general mood they give me. Always sad and haunting Sweden's Opeth is more then that, the mixture of emotions rangeing from hate, love, hope, despair, loss and pure uncontrolled insanity runs thru there songs like a theme easily keeping my interest even with songs mostly averageing around 8 minutes. The genuine feeling that they are truely doing something unique with each cd is always present. It's almost impossible to label into a specific genre, id just simply say it's Opeth, they defy definition. There creativity and musicianship simply puts them in a league of there own.

There way as musicians to handle there fans is another thing I appreciate. The normal band will bullshit you about why they cancel a show using vague definitions as: xxxx couldnt play because of *insert random vague term* like "we need time to focus on our next album". With Opeth they explain what's going on, if they cant play a show they tell you straight up what the problem is. Weither it be there drummer having anxiety attacks or that there roadcrew wouldnt travel to a certain region because of terrorists threat (both actually happend this year). Being straight with your fans is something that's not always done. Honesty being something I think run's thru the music. Lyrically and how they act live. They play the music they love and would'nt have it any other way.

So if you like progressive, interesting and unique music and can handle growling(rather soft growling at that) I suggest you check em out if you have'nt already. Maybe not the easiest kind of music to swallow for the casual listener, but patience is rewarded tenfold. An amazing band that never stop's to surprise me. Latest cd for example was a trip into progressive rock, gone are the growls and it's place is a wonderful cd filled with amazing lyrics and musicianship.

Discography
Orchid - 1995
Morningrise - 1997
My Arms, Your Hearse - 1998
Still Life - 1999
Blackwater Park - 2001
Deliverance - 2002
Damnation - 2003

Oh, and yes. The singer play's guitar and handles both the growl and clean vocals at the same time. Amazing guy that. You'll know what I mean when you hear the guitars.

Oh and did I mention, I love this band, incase you missed it. :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
I like Opeth. I listen to very little metal anymore, in fact I listen to no metal except for Opeth but they're fantastic. Blackwater Park is superb.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Lol, i saw them supporting the Chillies in March '03 and couldn't hear anything but some form of internet dial-up noise. That said, thier album wasn't bad :p

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
That was a pretty shitty time for TMV, their keyboardist/sound manipulator had died of an overdose, all in all a pretty unlucky band.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I would Prolly say Amon Tobin, mainly cause I only discovered hes music this year.

Either that or Cassius as I found their 1999 album for £1.50 in a bargin bin, which has reignited my love for cassius

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
probably Smog or Tindersticks. Tindersticks have never made a bad record. Neither have Radiohead, but my interest in them has wained...Hail To The Thief is alright by their standards, nothing special.

In terms of Conistantly good music, Radiohead would be up top.

Live shows...Radiohead again...

inventive ness and desire to create new music, well...before HTTF I'd have said Radiohead, but now...I have no idea really....there are so many bands I don't know of, i can't really say for sure.

Meatballs

One of Freddy's beloved
Aoami said:
Okay. So i've expressed my feelings about who i feel are the worst act in the world today (See my Blazin' Squad thread), so i thought i'd follow it up with a thread for people to discuss the best musical act today.

My vote would go to The Coral. My reasons for this are;
Isn't it just "Coral" ?

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Meatballs said:
Isn't it just "Coral" ?

Nop The Coral. As says the Magic and Medicine Cd next to me. Weirdly I like this cd more than the first one. Even if the first one seems livelier.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Doh_boy said:
Nop The Coral. As says the Magic and Medicine Cd next to me. Weirdly I like this cd more than the first one. Even if the first one seems livelier.
Aye me too, not sure why really, but i just do! ^__^

sunsoar

Regular Freddie
yeah i was really unumpressed by the mars volta when they supported the chillis but i love the single they released recently

out of the acts ive seen last year though some of my faves have been muse, the chilis and the foo fighters, although i liked the hives and reel big fish at the v festival

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Audioslave, even though they've only got the one album. Love all the songs on their album and the lead singer and the guitar chap is amazing.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
dam i wish ratm were still going they were real good band the new lead singer they got now is crap :/ sounds like hes really depressed all the time

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
the lead singer from AS, stubby? or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

I love the way he sings, dont know anyone else quite like it and it strikes a chord within you.

Quite like the lead singer from Queens of the Stone Age as well.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
yup lead singer of audio slave have you heard that song like a stone? btw that show me how to live 1 rules :>

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
like a stone! The first 5 tracks on the album are my favourites. Was a bit dubious when i first heard Cosiche but i soon grew into it.

Video for it is all fireworks and oomph :p

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
band kick ass i just dont like the singer ;) spose i should get there album some time ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
No-one can ever replace Zach De La Rocha...even if thats not whats happeneing really, but nm.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
stubbyrulz said:
dam i wish ratm were still going they were real good band the new lead singer they got now is crap :/ sounds like hes really depressed all the time

Ok.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know about the Coral... personally I really went off them when I heard Magic and Medicine, seems to me that they've really lost their spark. Just IMO - they're still a really talented band but it was the eclectic energy of the first album that got me.

I think Flaming Lips are the best act in the world today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom