The begining of the end....

D

darthshearer

Is this the begining of the end

The Beginning Of The End
Valve have taken the next step in their apparent quest to upset and alienate their entire user base by announcing that they are to start charging lan centres for the privelege of having Counter-Strike installed. iGames have already responded by announcing that they will be withdrawing all CS 1.6 services soon as a direct result of this.

After the PR disasters surrounding CS: CZ, Steam, Half-Life 2, and now this, one has to wonder.....

:(

C

Ch3tan

Hmm, not sure where I stand on this....

Valve took CS and made it a commercial project rather than a free mod. Saying that If you pay for HL then CS is a free mod, they seem to be trying to capitalise on the fact that LAN centres are making money out of their product. Where does this leave GSP's though?

T

throdgrain

Hmm, you've already paid for CS, why should you have to pay again ?
Having said that, Sky TV subscribers pay for their TV, but if they go to the pub to watch a football match, the pub landlord also has to pay to run the thing at his pub.

D

darthshearer

Talking of Sky, I was speaking to my local pub landlord and man the license they have to pay for Sky sia bout £2.5k!

D

Deady

But if you took your own sky dish and TV to the pub he shouldnt have to pay.

T

throdgrain

He would have to pay, as the rental charges are different for public viewing rather than private (home) veiwing.
I used to sell skytv btw .

T

Trem

I used to fit it........briefly..........a ladder fell on me on my second day :(

T

throdgrain

:D Fear not , it would have fallen on me too :)

O

old.D0LLySh33p

It's wrong.

If simply from the viewpoint of someone like my sis' bf.

He doesn't play computer games much but became hooked on CS this Summer. He went and bought the retail pack for 1.5 without knowing that Steam was to come out.

He dutifully downloaded Steam and 1.6 when they came out.

Now my argument is he bought the game on the assumption is was a one off payment to play a multiplayer game. It was NOT a subs game like Everquest, Ultima, PS, etc...

But then this is Valve's shiznat, and they can do whatever they want to rip people off :(

A

-adz-

It would be interesting to see how i18/19 will deal with this

C

Ch3tan

Originally posted by old.D0LLySh33p
It's wrong.

If simply from the viewpoint of someone like my sis' bf.

He doesn't play computer games much but became hooked on CS this Summer. He went and bought the retail pack for 1.5 without knowing that Steam was to come out.

He dutifully downloaded Steam and 1.6 when they came out.

Now my argument is he bought the game on the assumption is was a one off payment to play a multiplayer game. It was NOT a subs game like Everquest, Ultima, PS, etc...

But then this is Valve's shiznat, and they can do whatever they want to rip people off :(

Hold on, where did that come from!? No one has to pay anything more for steam/cs or other HL mods. IN fact any valid key from HL/CS retail allows you to d/l and play all the official mods and HL and the opposing force add on. Valve are not chargning a subscription or anything else for poeple who have already paid for one of these products. The subs issue will come in with HL" and those who wish to pay monthly for access to each mod rather than just the once for the one they play.

The discussion of this thread was the fact that LAN gaming centres use a single user lisence and make money from it. Valve are simply introducing a new EULA with Steam for Gaming centres and others. This is not unfair, its perfectly reasonable.

W

weapey

i-series don't actually charge for you to play the game, as everything is on your own PC. i-series only provide a roof, network infrastructure and hospitality.

A

-adz-

No version of steam currently works on lan, which will always be a small setback. As it is a regular event, sounding like valve they may charge a licensing fee for using hlds for the event.

C

Collino99{KEA}

Valve have just realised after 4/5 years that they have been losing moeny here.

yet again money makes the world go around. Shame tbh.

M

Mophead

4/5 years ago, if valve had suggested that people have to pay a fee to run a public server it definetly wouldn't have happened. People would have gone from (a young) CS to other games like Quake or UT.

D

Dr_Weasel

IIRC the i-series now have an external net connection. Therfore Steam should work as each PC can authenticate with the steam servers before playing the LAN games.

And as weapey said, I dont think they can charge i-series as the issue Valve has is that their single user license cannot be used for commercial gain. The i-series dont own any licenses, they are just providing the infrastructure for you to play.

I dont see it being a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom