The Amulet of Samarkand

F

Farsight

by Jonathan Stroud

The first book in the Bartimaeus Trilogy

I read this book in two days. I couldnt put it down.
Much of it is written in first person mode from the point of view of Bartimaeus, a summoned djinni, the rest in third person mode and relates the story of Nathaniel, his 12 year old master and summoner, who gets involved in murder and politics when just an apprentice.

Imagine London, present day where the magicians of Whitehall are, literally, magicians who control the UK and all its politics and economy.
Children are offered to be apprenticed to magicians when they are very young and thereafter never see their parents again, who, incidentally are paid hansomely.

All the magic used is purely down to the demons and entities that the magicians have the knowledge and stamina to summon and control, as they have no actual power of their own.
And there is a very definite hierarchy in the demon world, where the djinn are far superior to the imps who are generally treated rather badly.

Jonathan Stroud writes with humour and wit, and, when in first person mode as Bartimaeus, the djinn's contempt for the human race is quite obvious. He uses footnotes as "asides to the audience" to great effect.

I enjoyed it immensely and I look forward to the second in the trilogy. Its easy reading. Its not great literature, but I would recommend it for pure escapism and imagination.

Users who are viewing this thread