Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He's right - they really need to look at that crazy handball rule.
Mildly amusing. But his clear point is:

We want to see goals and excitement but I am sorry to say that VAR is killing every part of that. You are losing the raw emotion of the game we absolutely love

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I wasn't trying to be amusing. The clear counter to Parker's clear point is that his objection to VAR in this match is based entirely on the fact that it was used to take a goal away from his team because of a nonsense handball rule. Lemina's arm was down by his side, short of cutting his arms off there was no more he could do to "comply" but there's no room for common sense with the way in which the rule is written. If the ball touches any part of an attacker's arm in the build up to a goal it's disallowed. It's as binary as that. In the Liverpool vs. Chelsea match, the ball struck Kante's arm (and it was in a much less "natural" position) but, because he was defending not attacking, it wasn't a handball. The rule is nonsense.

So we come back to the rules that VAR is used to enforce. Again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow. It's like a strange religious blindness.
I wasn't trying to be amusing. The clear counter to Parker's clear point is that his objection to VAR in this match
Read it again. It's not a one-match statement.

Neither are all of the statements from all of the pro's.

It's fuck all to do with rules.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
All of the statements from all of the pros coincidentally all made in the direct aftermath of contentious VAR decisions.

It's not "fuck all to do with the rules" because he's literally being quoted in the headline identifying the rule which has drawn his ire ("the handball rule is crazy").
"It is the rule - I think it's crazy," Parker told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I'm complaining at the rule."

VAR is a system used to enforce rules. It's a slightly half-arsed analogy (frankly I have better things to do with my day than go around in circles on this again) but would you campaign to do away with the Police because you didn't like a specific law or the way it was implemented?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
VAR is a system used to enforce rules.
It's not fit for that purpose because decisions made are subjective not objective. It can never achieve the use you think it's there for.

But again, whilst he is complaining about this specific instance that statement is clearly about the use of VAR more widely in the game.

"VAR is killing every part of that. You are losing the raw emotion of the game we absolutely love"

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's not fit for that purpose because decisions made are subjective not objective. It can never achieve the use you think it's there for.

But again, whilst he is complaining about this specific instance that statement is clearly about the use of VAR more widely in the game.

"VAR is killing every part of that. You are losing the raw emotion of the game we absolutely love"
I would say the problem (with some of the rules) is that the decisions made are objective not subjective. Like Parker said, a bit of common sense in that handball decision would've led to them allowing the goal because the arm was by his side and him "handling" the ball had no effect whatsoever on its trajectory (it would probably have bounced off his hip in a similar direction had his arm not been there). Instead, they've robotically applied the rule because "buhhhh but it touched his arm".

Meanwhile, this wasn't a handball. Arm in a completely unnatural position but he's defending not attacking and (inexplicably) there are different rules for what is and isn't a handball depending on which box it happens in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You keep grubbing in the mud on this, rather than taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.

There's no point in analysing individual decisions - that's just the smoke. The fire is elsewhere.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You keep grubbing in the mud on this, rather than taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.

There's no point in analysing individual decisions - that's just the smoke. The fire is elsewhere.
Logically the fire in this scenario is the rules. :clap:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
He's right - they really need to look at that crazy handball rule.

Offside rule could do with being looked at as well - still trying to figure out why Werner's goal was disallowed last night. Thought you had to be able to score with the part of the body that was offside, and the only part past the last defender was his arm, as he was pointing where he wanted the ball.

Didn't really matter given how shit Liverpool are at the moment, still seemed very weird.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Put £1 on every game being an away win this weekend 1200/1

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Offside rule could do with being looked at as well - still trying to figure out why Werner's goal was disallowed last night. Thought you had to be able to score with the part of the body that was offside, and the only part past the last defender was his arm, as he was pointing where he wanted the ball.

Didn't really matter given how shit Liverpool are at the moment, still seemed very weird.
Werner looked onside to me. I was sure it'd be allowed but they spent enough time fucking about with lines that they managed to make him offside. Like they were actively trying to do Chelsea out of the goal. There's a simple solution - if it's that tight (or tight enough that a single line across the pitch isn't enough to tell either way) just go with the on-pitch decision.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
face / palm

Me: "no point in looking at individual decisions"

You: "but look at this individual decision!!"

:rolleyes:
Didn't see your edit. By "in this scenario", I meant in your fire/smoke scenario, I wasn't talking about individual decisions.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Werner looked onside to me. I was sure it'd be allowed but they spent enough time fucking about with lines that they managed to make him offside. Like they were actively trying to do Chelsea out of the goal. There's a simple solution - if it's that tight (or tight enough that a single line across the pitch isn't enough to tell either way) just go with the on-pitch decision.

We've had a couple of those this year as well. Offside rule is bullshit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
We've had a couple of those this year as well. Offside rule is bullshit.
Yeah, I think everybody must've had at least 1 goal ruled out by the hideous offside rule. I know we've had a few, I remember Bamford had one outrageously ruled out because he was pointing in front of him to where he wanted his mate to pass the ball and by the laws of sleeves, he was adjudged to be millimetres offside.

The major problem with it is that the VAR cameras only work at 50 FPS and quite a lot can happen in 1/50th of a second. On the one hand they're trying to be accurate to the millimetre with their poncey lines but on the other, they're using not-fit-for-purpose tech that not only can't say categorically when a player kicked a ball but the frame they pull up of when they think he kicked the ball is usually a blurry mess. Either use proper high-speed cameras (massively expensive) or chill the fuck out and go with the on-pitch decision if it's not obviously wrong.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Good Sunday morning read about recent transfers at United. Albeit heavily weighted towards Man Utd, it is a really good insight into some of the decisions that I am sure most (badly) run clubs are making

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wowzers. Lost to Fulham!

Sixth straight home defeat! It looks like we're either fucking amazing or really gash!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
How many losses in a row at home Jurgen?

giphy.gif

Gray

FH is my second home
Suddenly that last defeat against FC Barcelona-Fulham a few weeks ago isn't so bad.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Christ, some cunts do follow football
Yep. Agree. But how does this make the news?

"People make fun of stuff and other people don't like it" - is the headline really.

The only difference between doing the same on social media that you would in the pub is that less people overhear you in the pub.

Yes, I feel for them, but "people upset me" is the first cry of "lets censor the internet" and "lets make new criminal offenses" nowadays...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Supposedly a falling out because the owners wanted to appoint a Director of Football and Wilder wasn't on board with it. He has made some awful signings so it seemed justified but Sheffield United fans aren't a happy bunch. I mean, they were pretty miserable anyway, but this hasn't helped.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Supposedly a falling out because the owners wanted to appoint a Director of Football and Wilder wasn't on board with it. He has made some awful signings so it seemed justified but Sheffield United fans aren't a happy bunch. I mean, they were pretty miserable anyway, but this hasn't helped.

Dunno what you expect when you sign Brewster for £25m, with a fucking a sell-on clause and even worse, a buyback clause

Gray

FH is my second home
Some good goals by Burnley, defensively we were poor again...

Mason Holgate just isn't that good as a right back/winger he has no attacking sense like Coleman. We are looking to strengthen that side come the end of the season though so I hope we can pull it off.

Iwobi has one decent game in ten, massively overrated I feel.

Doucoure is out of action for several weeks now and he has been quite the acquisition. Rodriguez showing his injury liability also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom