That sound problem

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I've had a quick search and searched here too, but can't seem to find a fix for the irritating distorted sound in the menus. I'm sure it was fixable in the demo, and I've just bought the full thing, so it'd be nice to get it sorted.

Anyone know? I've checked volume levels in game and in windows, none are maxed out.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I get a bit of crackle too, but ive no idea how to sort it, tryed everything.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi,

Whats the spec of your machine? What are the sound settings in BF set to?

Cheers,

Cdr

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
You might want to try dropping your sound settings if they are set pretty high.

I run at 22 Mhz, high detail and 32 channels and don't have any problems apart from the occasional sound loop when I hit a bit of lag.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I did notice a slight crackling when using some older nForce2 drivers, this may be the problem if he has an nForce2 mobo. But yeah, fiddling about with the sound settings can help.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
AMD 2000+, 512 2100 RAM, 9600XT.

It's only in the menus, there's a layer of distortion, it goes during the game. I have my sound on 44Khz and hardware for channels (I've tried both ways).

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I have an NForce2 mobo, but Ive neve changed the drivers, perhaps I should :)
Does anyone know which I should use ? I have an AOpen AK79D-400 Max if thats of any help.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
My mobo is an SiS745 chipset.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
If you're only getting it in the menu it's most probably directx & video drivers related - update and reinstall (I'd say).

I used to (years ago) get a cracking noise all the fekin time - turns out it was interference from the mobo/video and my sound card (everytime my HD light went - I'd get the noise too)...

This program sets chipset CPU-to-PCI Bridge (PCI bus#0, function#0 and device#0) latency timer to 0 clks (according VIA's documents there is still fixed granularity of 8 clks in MVP3 chipset).
Setting latency timer to 0 might fix graphics card caused sound crackling.

I had to run this small prog called latency.exe (manually added to my startup) which sorted out the timings of vid & sound requests on the PCI bus...I seem to remember it was all bacause the video card was given priority over everything else which caused the interference (btw back then I had a 600MHz AMD, 128 MB RAM, 16MB Voodoo2, VIA mobo, SB Live 1024 sound)...

...anyway, I degress, reinstall directx & drivers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom