that "chat" icon u get above peeps heads..

G

Grimes

that "chat" icon u get above peeps heads.. Is it considered "impolite" to kill them when its up?

In QW u had no idea if someone was chatting.. therefore if u were stood still u were dead. U talked to others when u were lying gibbed out on the floor & dead - that was the time for chatting.
I go on the Q3 FFA servers now & players are standing still with "chat" icon over their heads.. I think.. Hmmm easy kill, or leave the misguided fop for a few more secs, then lob grenade at him :>
Or doent anyone really care ans we should just gib everything.

O

old.trekker

If they stand about chatting they expect to be killed.

That's wot the game is all about :)

That's why you never see me at it.

O

old.Necro

As far as i care, you chat at your own risk.

O

old.sjp

sorry, but i have to disagree with u all :)

it is a very cheap (and ooo soo skillful) kill so why bother ?

i guess u all love lagged players to ?, u no it gives u a chance to pull of some really neat mid air rails shots (of course tehy are in the same point for 50 secs, butwhogivesafuck ?).

q3 is the only game that i no which tells u when someone as the console up so why abuse it ?

also if u read the instructions for q3 they recomend NOT killing talkers :)

G

Generally speaking, if an enemy is having a natter in his own 'half' of a map, I'll leave him alone (well...maybe a couple of MG bullets as a hello).

If he's in my half of the map I'll frag him.

The 'don't-shoot-them-it's-not-nice' argument would be ok...but it would be possible for someone to sneak right up to your base, and when hearing/seeing an enemy hit the chat key.

O

old.captor

You type/talk you DIE simple really.

Especially when i get the chance to pummel em. Thats still make me L0L.

:) Mean bastard me.

O

old.Necro

I adopt the 'chat at own risk' because of its simplicity.

A bit of hesitation could mean the difference between getting a farg and being fragged, so there's not always time to check if someone is chatting or not. OK, its not always like this, but when you start trying to define 'ok and 'not OK' as to when a living player can be killed, things get messy.

As for people lagging, i have no real hesitation to kill them. They do exactly the same thing when i lag.

G

Grimes

I was originally thinking in FFA terms, but in a team game, if the enemy has a chat icon up..
(1)he/she's a fool
(2)shoot to kill, they are chatting to their team8's

plus if your chasing somebody trying to nail them, than all of a sudden the "chat" icon comes up, what ya going to do? stop firing? I think not. The system is open to abuse.

SJP - Does the chat icon come up when u bring the console down? I thought it only appeared when using one of the chat binds in the game..?

1 last kestion, does it come up when you have pressed "ESC" so u can fiddle with the settings???

[This message has been edited by Grimes (edited 05 June 2000).]

O

old.Eldritch

As recomended i generally dont shoot at people who are in the console, however if i see someone and i go to shoot, if after ive shot them once i notice they are at the console i dont fire again, i just move away its lame, dont do it, if they are moving and go to console while im shooting (except in league games, esp if we were behind, but ive never seen opponant get the chat icon for more than a blink in league tp) then i would stop shooting them, as for rockets (or whaever) that ive already shot that hit them, well toguh luck, there is nothing i can do about it :).

[This message has been edited by Eldritch (edited 05 June 2000).]

O

old.sjp

yes, i was talking about a general "fun" ffa situation.

in clan games its tuff luck so i shot.

in team games its also a bit different, but if its a "fun" game i still dont shot

O

old.TheGuyver

It does depend on the situation.

if its a clan game tough crapola....

If its on a public server i fire a couple of shots and then leave it.

If i want to be left alone cuase im chatting or changing my config, i face a wall and try and put my self in a less busy part.

either that or i quit then come back.

Saying that it is lame to kill someone while chatting is wrong. it depends on the situation and the game type.

O

old.Maverick

Hmmmm.

Personally I always though the little icon above the head said "free frag here".

Must be the low picmip I run in......

A

athena

I have to say I usually dismiss players with the 'chat icon' above their heads, assuming they were making changes at the console.
Unfortunately in a match it can mean you either win or loose.

O

old.Gator

being a sportin type i'll usually leave em alone ( well maybe a couple of shots to see if they wake up ;) ). But saying that ...the number of times i've been shot in the back :(
sayla V

O

old.SimbobX

The chat icon comes up if either:

1) you're using the "say" or "sayteam" stuff (not for binds, just for chatting)

2) you have the console down

3) you have the menu up

I would never slag off someone who killed me while I was "chatting" (editing config, whatever) because it's my lookout.

Having said that, I generally don't kill people who have the icon up in a public game. It's not sporting and it's not fun. If I thought someone had brought it down just to try and avoid getting shot at, then I would break my own rule :)

During team games, I will generally kill any enemy I see standing around, regrdless. It's their lookout and as someone already said .. they are probably talking to their team.

If I know an opponent is having problems (lagging badly or whatever) I will tend to leave them alone, even in a clan league match.

(Same applies to QW and Q2, where standing still and facing the wall is the accepted way of showing that you're not currently "playing").

It's all personaly preference tho, at the end of the day. :)

G

Grimes

""The chat icon comes up if either:
1) you're using the "say" or "sayteam"
2) you have the console down
3) you have the menu up""

Thanks SimbobX, thats all I really wanted to know - when did it appear.
Messing about with bots at home u can't exactly ask them to stop and try certain things your not sure of :) It clarifies a few things now, and just clear things up. I don't take pops at peeps with the chat icon up when on servers -- I think its a good idea to have it there, just as long as we're all clear on its function within the game. Esp us who never read "the manual" :D

X

xane

I in the "jolly good sport" category as well.

And if I see someone switch to gauntlet I do the same :)

------------------
camazotz

O

old.Riash D'Rirk

Well i think it all depends on what type of person you are. I personally dont shoot people when they are chatting and expect them to do the same.
In TDM if they do this it's my fault, but on public servers its just not nice.
Okay now and again i'll do it but only if I know them, then it can be treated as a joke and not some malicious act of hatred.

But....
In a TDM game and your losing by 80 frags and its quite clear that your death will make almost no imapct on the game and your in lag problems. Realising this you drop down the console hoping the enemy wont kill you. If they do then thats just lame. Especially if its the same person all the time killing you.
Of course after the 2nd time i joined as speccy and just moaned about all game.

O

old.i*G

If you are going to stop and chat in a game then imho you deserve to be shot. If it's anything other than Team Comms (which should be bound on keys anyway) you are fodder :) I don't stop for a second if someones facing a wall having a little natter.

If someone is visibly lagging, then I would never shoot them (accidents happen though sometimes).

I've replaced the chat symbol for Q3 into a red one with "Free Kill" to make sure it gets my attention. Use IRC for chatting innit.

O

old.Sico

IMHO killing someone chatting in a FFA is bent under usual circumstances. But if they keep doing it, even after you tell them to shut the fuk up, I say go for it. A game server isn't a chat room.

------------------
Don't drink and drive - you might spill your pint
clanludo

O

old.ketaMine

i used to let them lie till i got soo mad with people stopping chatting once uve gone past an sticking u a couple of rockets..

sorry but if ur a complete stranger then go spectate ffs

O

old.Sokem

If they want to talk they should be on IRC :)

a kills a kill, if you don't defend ourself then you die, harsh but fair :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom