thane help

- English -

Resident Freddy
whats the best race and start points for a thane? Also what is the best spec, weapon etc he should have :)

tnx

remi

Fledgling Freddie
id go norse for medium block(medium dex..) thing and ok str. 10dex/str/con

as for spec, forgot, but 42shield minimum, then some thunder poo of doom and weaponspec :p

ra: go for ST early

Teslacoil

Can't get enough of FH
caster thane : frostalf

blockthane : norse

dmgthane(do they exist =) : troll / dwarf

specc for all races 48storm/42shield/42wep or 50 storm/50wep/rest shield or parry

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Troll/Norse imo. 15 str 10 qui if you're planning to be a rvr char. Or 10 str 10 dex 10 qui if you feel blocking is important. :p

Spec, 50 weapon, 42 shield, 39 stormcalling or 44 weapon, 42 shield, 46 sc(only miss last s/c debuff and last castable dd). I'd probably go 44/42/46 since I love hammer and Conquer/Sledgehammer rock. :p

As for ras, go for st early, and aug str/mop. Mob if you solo/duo alot, or well, use your shield for more than guarding the one you bg from arrows. :p If you could cast when bging(as it is now bg break when you cast) moc1 could be viable for group to interupt.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Teslacoil said:
dmgthane(do they exist =) : troll / dwarf
How can a dwarf be under damage thane, when infact dwarfs got lower strength then a norseman? :p

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
All I can say is i would not have Storm under 48, and specially not now after NF release when you have to rely on your casting dmg more than ever. :)

But take it from a thane since release, reroll before it is too late. ;)

Teslacoil

Can't get enough of FH
no point in going 50 wep really on a thane if you don't insist on going full 2 hand spec , but if you still wan't to play with 50 spec reroll a warrior for pure melee.

and helme dorf was maybe wrong of me ;) wasn't thinking straight , meant dorf as high con and live longer , and blocks hits better then troll :)

Novac

Fledgling Freddie
Troll 10 str, 10 quick, 10 dex or con. 50 hammer, 48 storm, rest parry. use taunt as anytimer. get ip2, purge 2, ST 2, aug str 4, mopain 4 ;P

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
My latest character is a frostalf thane with 48 calling, 42 shield, 42 hammer. Will use it primarily in sieges and at that he is already pretty nice even with sc still not complete. Its essentially a caster in chain with archer immunity. The sc is built to allow maximum casting deadliness with high dexcap, pietycap and castingspeed%. Suffers some in melee but if he is in openfield rvr grp he will guard casters/support, slamming and casting mostly.

Larc

Fledgling Freddie
If you plan on playing a caster Thane, roll a real caster instead.
If you plan on playing a tank Thane, roll a real tank instead.
If you plan on playing a hybrid Thane, the only choice to avoid is troll. This is because they will take a year to cast spells, block badly and really that extra strength isn't a big impact for thanes (naturalist weapon table).

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I miss the days when if a thane asked for advice you could just reply:

"reroll"

:(

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Rulke said:
I miss the days when if a thane asked for advice you could just reply:

"reroll"

:(

Thanes pwn you rulke :>

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Was 46/44/42 on my thane for a looooooong time NF came found the need for melee wasnt as much so respecced to 48/42/39 rest parry and its great, damage is nice from spells and melee is still pretty decent, miss sledgehammer but frosthammer is ok. :)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Dont see the point in going 42 hammer personaly adds minimal amounts of weaponskill, may as well go 39 and stick rest in parry can get 17 parry or so iirc, makes a massive difference parry a shit load now. If you gonna go 42 may as well drop to 46sc and get sledge.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Cozak said:
Dont see the point in going 42 hammer personaly adds minimal amounts of weaponskill, may as well go 39 and stick rest in parry can get 17 parry or so iirc, makes a massive difference parry a shit load now. If you gonna go 42 may as well drop to 46sc and get sledge.

A thane in a rvr grp wont have to parry alot since he will not be a priority target, and you cant parry for someone else unlike a warrior with that RA that allows it. And the difference between last dd and second to last dd is quite large, both in terms of resists and damage. The 48 dd on a frostalf thane with capped/overcapped piety will hit for more than a 2h attack, making it quite usefull.

Teslacoil

Can't get enough of FH
my 48 castable spell hit's people with maxed resists for ~200 - 250 and dd's for something like 120 -150 ( frostalf 15 piety starters ) + 25 pietycap and capped piety.

and i see that as "ok"

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Fana said:
A thane in a rvr grp wont have to parry alot since he will not be a priority target, and you cant parry for someone else unlike a warrior with that RA that allows it. And the difference between last dd and second to last dd is quite large, both in terms of resists and damage. The 48 dd on a frostalf thane with capped/overcapped piety will hit for more than a 2h attack, making it quite usefull.

Thane in an rvr group? Dont be silly ;o

- English -

Resident Freddy
they r quite good u know now with St/bg etc... tell u havent been rvr for a while ;)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
- English - said:
they r quite good u know now with St/bg etc... tell u havent been rvr for a while ;)

I have but i play my thane solo or duo with a zerker, only had a comp that can run toa for a month so havent got BG yet but ST is great :)

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
champs

well i find the most enjoyable character is a champion because of its debuffs to its large weponary :drink:

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
48 SC, 39 Weapon , 42 sheild rest parry, have been since beta, always will be. I went Norse like most, good all rounder.

Ignore the heathens (and idiots who babble about their favorite hib toon for +1) who slate Thanes, great fun to play in PvE and RvR.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
My Thane is currently 50 SC, 50 Hammer, 23 Shield, 17 Parry, but I'm strongly tempted to say screw it and respec to full-2H spec of 50/50/27/10. This gives you enough Shield for Guard/Engage, at least. With 350 Str self-buffed he hits like a truck with 2H, and with some MOParry he has good 1v1 defence.

Another spec I've come up with that looks decent to me is this: 48 SC, 44 Hammer, 29 Shield, 27 Parry. This gives you the 29 Shield stun style and as much Parry as the classic 2H spec, albeit at the cost of some WS and the 50 Hammer style (which is very nice if you are 2H with a bit of MOParry). The more I look at it, the more I think this 48/44/29/27 spec would be a very nice versatile spec.

You could also (OK, I was bored in work and playing around with a character builder :D) go 48/44/35/18, for the very nice 35 Shield side stun.

Or there's what I consider the full caster-and-defence spec, which is 48 SC/39 Hammer/42 Shield/15 Parry.

So, to recap:

50 SC/50 Hammer/10 Shield/27 Parry - full offence 2H spec.

48 SC/44 Hammer/29 Shield/27 Parry - good 1H + 2H spec.

48 SC/44 Hammer/35 Shield/18 Parry - for the very useful 8 second side Shield stun.

48 SC/39 Hammer/42 Shield/15 Parry - full defensive spec.

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a frost thane, and im very happy with him.
Not a common spec i use, but it works very well for me:
Sc: 48(+8)
Shield: 42(+16)
Sword: 34(+16)
Parry: 24(+16)

Im remaking my template atm, but before my stats fully buffed:
Str:375, con:320(hp:2189), dex:333, qui:207, pie:231.

I run in all kind of settings/grps, but i prefer to solo.
My thane=my 5th lvl50 char, and the one i like the most :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom