thane class?

N

necrofill

hi would like to try our all favorit gimp class thane :D and would like to know what class r the best *cough* *cough* :p
and also what and howmuch i shall put in each stat :D

G

Glyph_mid

Being a thane, a thane is definantly the best pick...not sure what you on about? :)

If its race you thinking off, then id go norseman any day. Balanced dex, con, str and you definantly need the dex for actually having some purpose you can benefit a group with

F

farathorn_nexus

My Thane was the first char I made first week after the release of EU Daoc. He´s like stated below and I haven´t changed him one bit when it comes to spec etc since I made him.

Race: Norseman
Start stat: 10 Str, 10 Con, 10 Dex
Spec: Axe 42, Shield 42, Stormcalling 48

Good luck with your Thane mate! I´m actually a bit impressed that you´re about to roll a Thane these days :) I thought only Tindel would be capable of doing a thing like that :)

P

Petronella

hahaha :D
She has to leave place to Veracocha at least until I see what 1.65 is like for Tindel.

as for starting points as a Thane I'd go 10 str/con/dex OR (actually) 10 con/dex/pie (if you are a troll) to increase the DD's slightly, My Thane was 10 str/dex/pie (dwarven) and at 50 with capped piety (168 I think) I must say I nuke really nice for a hybrid, and with dex/qui and dex buffs its also at a very fast speed.
but it's a matter of taste I guess, most people go 10 str/con/dex, it also depends on your race, as a troll id go con/dex/pie at least since they are really strong already.. but it depends on what you want to do with your thane. str/con/dex norseman could be really nice aswell I suppose :)

I like being dwarven thane though as I get many MA trains on me in the hope that i'm a healer, saving some time for my group ;)
When ToA comes and we get Frostalfs, I think Frostalf Thanes will be very popular, according to tests in US they nuke pretty nice with 48 SC.

for an overall, go norse (imo)
strength, troll of course ;)
for a little more hp, go dwarf :p

C

Cozak

best thane spec i found is 44hammer 42shield 46sc sledgehammer is a very uber style, oh 1 more thing, thanes arent gimped conterary to popular belief :p

J

Jaem

Thanes > Warrior when it comes to not being so bloody boring ;P

B

Blubbo

My thane is a troll. And he aint gimped at all.

I do not belive in the very popular saying that a class is gimped. Only the player behind it.
But yes. there are some classes that are a bit overpowerd, but if u are a good player, and know how to play ur class, u will not be gimped at all. it`s realy about using what u have. To the limit.

My thane is 42 Shield, 39 Axe, and 48 SC rest in parry.

I find this a very good spec. But I`m thinking of respecing after 1,65 and go 50 SC and shield, but I know I picked the wrong race for that. Since a troll is better to do dmg with the weapon.

If u are rolling a new thane...I would say go svartalf and spec 50 SC and 50 Shield..and rest in weapon to get some styles atleast.

This spec would be very grp friendly in RvR since he could protect healers pretty good with his shield...and have some good nukes to do some dmg and interupts with while guarding grp members.
U will also be very hard to kill.

Well...Thats my oppinion. If u don`t like it plz keep it to urself all u out there.

D

d34k

Stormcalling spec'd Thane's are inherently gimped and still will be even after the bit of Thane love in the next patch. Talon's Reach has a disturbing number of L50 Thanes and I think they've all seen the light now and lowered their Stormcalling. Yes, the spell line is the defining aspect of the class, but it's far from great. Not least because it's so stupidly power inefficient.

My Thane's spec:

Hammer: [44] +14 + MoP 2
Shield: [42] +14 + MoB 2
Stormcalling: [45] +14
Parry: [10] +14 + MoP 2

44 Hammer gives a good rear positional chain: Conquer > Sledge Hammer. Conquer gives you a 23 second root, ideal for chasing down a fleeing caster. Conquer gives good damage, although I think the quoted High Bonus to attack for the style is false.

42 Shield gives you Slam, 9 second duration stun. What more do you need to know?

45 Stormcalling gives you the last Mjollnir AE spell. This spell is ideal for harvesting realm points in keep defence or keep takes. It's also excellent for casting on Milegate doors to flush out stealthers. It's not so useful in PvE or in RvR gank groups. :)

10 Parry with 2 levels of Mastery of Parry has saved my arse so many times I will never respec from it.

Unless you have a very particular reason for massive Stormcalling - I don't know, something odd, like a pure keep defense Thane - then I wouldn't take it any higher than 45. I think you're looking at diminishing returns when you try and go for the last self-buffs.

N

necrofill

ill think ill go dwarf thane coz outlook dwarf>all other mid races ;) and even choice 10 str, 10 con and 10 dex or 10str, 10 dex and 10 piety ;) and i think ill enbd with a spec with 42 shield 44 weapon and 40+sc and rest parry!!

G

Glyph_mid

Go str, con, dex, you dont get to cast that many spells anyways.

My thane is 42, 42, 48, 48 SC for the last bolt which is quite ubah...but thats about the only good thing about the thane class

B

Blubbo

omg...u have a bolt with ur thane??? me want that to..I only have dd's

And as a anwser to only specing 45+ SC. I don`t agree, It all dependes on how u play ur thane...if u always follow MA train..then 45+ SC is a waste.

If u stay with healer/caster and keep interupting mages or healers 50 SC will be very useful. And it will do more dmg then u running around with ur hammer trying to get a mage down.

F

Fiddley

Its called xxx bolt?
Regarding the Thane class in rvr. If you dont have Determination, you're valid on the battleground. A hybrid that stands mezzed for ages is just filling up a spot. But ofc, if you have good healers that's fast on the cure mezz, thanes can be ok.

B

Blubbo

Aye....be smart. Don`t get mezzed =)

And aye. It`s to bad Thanes don`t have any good RAs...not det. or cheap purge or anything useful att all except IP. And IP only saves urself. Not ur grp. =(

O

ormorof

thane's are great in certain stuations, 1vs1 a shield thane or 2h thane perform great (was killing zerkers pre-nerf in duels :p )

thane's are great in PvE, they fill alot of jobs there, puller, MA, peeler etc

in rvr they are pretty nice, only problems with thane and rvr is the lower hp than full tanks and lack of determination, but then again, that never stopped a thane being first RR10 in mid :clap:

B

Blubbo

yepp...true that m8 =)

As said before. It`s the player that playes the char that is good/bad...not the char itself.

Some classes just are easier to play...and some needs alittle work. But are much much more fun to play, And will be much better then the rest if played in a correct way.

N

necrofill

hehe the lck of det and cheap purge and ip is no problems as my main is a friar... nodet4tehwin :D
and btw r the last dmg add worth going for?

O

ormorof

the last damage add is nice, even though the dark runie one is better (afaik), its nice and handy when bashing people though, especially if you have low weapon (ie ~45 :p )

N

necrofill

okay last question does shaman dmg add stack with thanes coz im lvling a bb too? :)

C

Cozak

last dmg add (46sc) is well worth getting adds up to massive extra dps over a fight usually get around +50 ish extra damage perhit which is nice.

O

old.mattshanes

Originally posted by froler-mid
wait a month and do a frostalf thane !

Yep that's the best race for one i would do that too.

Damn i am agreeing with remish HELP ME!!!!!!:scared:

M

Marcus75

I recently respecced my thane out of 44 hammer, 42 shield and 46SC to 39 hammer, 42 shield and 50 SC and I love it. The damage output I had on 44hammer is, from what Ive seen, the same as with 39 hammer + with the improvments to thanes and their str/con buff makes the last selfbuff nice to have since I like not to be dependent on a buffbot when I run around.

S

Sobek

Im no thane, atleast not anymore, my first char was a thane which is deleted now, anyhow i specced 50 hammer, 50 SC, 28 parry, my dmg output was amazing, considering im a hybrid, and that was before they nerfed dps add, i cant really see the point of having a shield as a thane, well your looking for the same puny damage output as paladins? and afterall you got celerity from aug healers, makes 2handed alot more usefull :p

and since you can chain smite now, i reckon it would be better with 50 sc?

Users who are viewing this thread