Templated?

What counts as a template

• Only the best will do. You aren't templated unless you have the best gear available.

Votes: 72 31.0%
  • Meh, get what you can afford, make sure it works together and you're fine.

Votes: 140 60.3%
  • Whatever you're wearing counts as a template.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I don't want to answer but am strangely attracted to pressing buttons.

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Following a discussion on our /as last night I was wondering what the average Freddys lurker considers to be a template. Some people took the position that if you don't have everything capped (or as close to as possible) then you can't call it a template. I took the view that you can consider yourself templated if you've made at least a minimum amount of effort to fill out your important bonuses, caps, resists etc. In other words even Epic with jewellery chosen to fit the gaps and complement the bonuses could be considered a template although obviously not as good a template as you could get if you were prepared to drop hundreds of plat on rare drops.

Anyway, as it seemed that different people had conflicting views, I'd be interested to read other people's opinions.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
To me a "Templated" character is one who has taken the time to obtain items that fit together to provide a good balance of stats - it doesn't have to be uber it doesn't have to be expensive, as long as your primary stats are sorted then surely thats "Templated" ?

Vladamir

FH is my second home
For a proper template i want a balance good toa bonuses and reasonable resists. I don't mind using harder items as i can normally farm them myself but stuff like Kraken/Levi/Ml10 i'm less keen on using.

I refuse to rvr in rogs :p

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I don't consider a char to have a template until I've designed it carefully in an SC calc, included every toy I require and am completely happy with its make-up.

For example, my Heretic has an undesigned set of armour etc, capped a lot of important things, but has holes in it. I don't consider this a template; and I'm so pedantic that I wouldn't RVR with him in that template.

Then again, my BG reaver template has 384 hits instead of 400, and that will annoy the hell out of me.

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
i choosed [ Meh, get what you can afford, make sure it works together and you're fine. ]

but aint realy what i ment, but fitted best over the others, i think you should put quite alot of work into it before calling it a template... but its still a template before its the best you can get... simply because you cant get the best, since playstyle and what ppl want, also what is currently your enemy can change stuff like that..

its pretty much impossible, or well it is, to cap everything since toa came...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I was put off the ultrauberomgwtfpwnsauce template mindset by a certain ex-guildie, who once when asked to join a guilf RvR group said:

"Oh, I can't come and RvR yet, I'm missing 3% Spirit resist"

...at which point I thought fuck it, I'd rather have fun than pay x amount of £ a month to sit there obsessing over a bloody calculator. Option 2 for me.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
I don't go RvRing with a character unless it has most resists, skills and toa bonuses capped. If I do, its only to mess around to try out a new char before I finish it off.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
when you made one in a sc calc and can actually post it, i consider it a templste. All my chars got imo very nice templates, with very expensive gear. I almost refuse to rvr without a temp, ml10 and cl abilitys.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
chose the [meh] option.

Getting a good balance of things so you have reasonable stats is what counts, so getting stuff weather its cheap or expensive I would definately call templated as long as it works well.

Some templates are better than others and have better stats overall, but still the cheaper ones I would still count as templates and a viable choice.

To be a template I think it just has to have some thought put into it and to have specific items in it to make it work the best it can with what resources are available. Hence why some templates are better than others.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I went for the "Meh" option, but that doesn't really express my proper opinion. I see a "template" as a journey instead of a destination. My usual approach is to make a template that caps (and overcaps where possible) my important stats, resists and skills with maybe one or two "must have" arti tricks.

Then I play the char in RvR and PvE until it's ML10 and maybe RR3L5 or so. At that point, if I'm enjoying the char, I'll start making a template for him. This can take months of getting items, doing and redoing the template and levelling artis I might need just in case.

Then, once I've got all the stuff together, I'll do the SCing and have a good template. Then, I'll start work on a better template that addresses problems I find with my new one and better fits my playstyle.

Wash, rinse, repeat...I don't believe I have a single fully-templated character, since I don't believe that such a thing exists. There are some that I'm not good enough to improve, so they are kind of 'stuck' with their existing templates. Just finished my sorc, scout and theurg and I'm waiting for a Sililia's Necky for my Reaver. Next will be my mincer (I think) and then probably back to my sorc template...

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Option 2, like Svart, I cba to sit there for hours at end worrying if I might meet a XXXX who will nuke me, I cap whats important for damage, the rest is exactly what it says on the tin, a bonus.

S

Sweefters

My idea of a template is that once you have it, you don't ever need to change anything to your equipement 'till next big patch/add-on comes or 'till you get some ultra rare item (aka full suit of caer sidi armor or something) and decide to re-do it.
I took option two though, because it always comes down to the money you have and the time you can invest, so it's very rarely "perfect".

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
I was put off the ultrauberomgwtfpwnsauce template mindset by a certain ex-guildie, who once when asked to join a guilf RvR group said:

"Oh, I can't come and RvR yet, I'm missing 3% Spirit resist"

...at which point I thought fuck it, I'd rather have fun than pay x amount of £ a month to sit there obsessing over a bloody calculator. Option 2 for me.

3% is obviously taking the piss (completely).

However I find it funny, and ironic, that you say you'd "rather have fun then worry about obsessing over a calc" and then whine when you get hit hard by a caster saying how RvR isn't fun for you :fluffle:

On topic: I went for the second option as well. Certainly for PvE capping the main stats and skills of your character should be enough. However personally I don't feel comfertable in RvR untill I have a template that would go with answer 1.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
i took the second choise :)

but for myself... ONLY the BEST what u can get is a temp for me and i have 3 chars temped sofar like that... others have bit crappyer, but still capped stats, sists and thingsi just use util is bit low

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
I usually spend weeks on making templates, so that I'm happy with them, after that I get the gear, doesnt really matter if its yberultrasuperrare, I get it and after that, I consider my toon templated.

I hate skimping stuff in templates just because it cost abit or is hard to complete, I rather spend time finishing a template that I'm happy with.

lilmissnaughty

Fledgling Freddie
a template should be defined as anything where u have taken into consideration what the pieces give an tried to pick them so they give u the skills/stats u required.
its still a template whether its done to a budget or u have unlimited spending.
bit like how a ford and a ferarri are both cars but which u have (and how good it is) is dependant on budget.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
doubt my rr7l4 healer and my rr5L9 druid aint templated at all then :D

i got the artis i need and atleast dex capped and most important resist capped, if rest aint capped i dont care, i rather rvr then farm for endless hours (after 30 min of farming i get bored to hell)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i wouldnt go out in anything less than an opted template on my main toons, hero and NS. my ranger is kitted out to leach from the zerg, dies horribly in melee though because it has shit resists. my ment is in a good suit, not as much PP as i would like but i havent played it in rvr for ages so not that bothered. animist has 101 dex ~45% pp 101 int etc but again, crap resists.

Moriatroll

Fledgling Freddie
I'd define a template as something that will make all the stats/resists/skills/bonuses that u consider that ur char need to be capped or high. Dosn't matter how expensive it is, i've played with ppl who basicly got very cheap templates and do allright, then i got my svg for exaple who has a decent template. Then my fecking warrior temp which i have got severl houndreds of plats worth of items on.

Then u can say wiether u are templated in a good or bad temp, and that kind of matters. If i ran in a high-end rvr fg, i'd expect every1 to have vry nice templates. If i however ran in a tower camping/keep taking grp, i wouldnt expect as much, but i'd still want every1 to have decent templates.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Only the best will do. You aren't templated unless you have the best gear available.

since there is no items in daoc that you cant get if you put some effort into it i voted that :) i also dont like to lose :p

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Basic_X said:
No, you prefer to RvR naked :wub:

He liks to do a lot of things naked... :sex:

To me, templated is several items that fit well together, decent stats/reists/toa bonuses and no rogs

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
2nd option , always

end of the day, yes its nice to have capped everything, i couldnt do it on my healer with what i had available so i compromised. end of the day, 4% to a resist, 40hp, etc etc , is not going to save you anyway if they have MOC3 up, or purge 3 up, or BOF up, so why bother :)

i would rather spend 50p and win 70% of the time, than spend 200p and win 75% of the time.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
half the fun of the game for me is doing your own templates.

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
censi said:
half the fun of the game for me is doing your own templates.

i agree....

i think kinda like this, there is 2 kind of templates, 1 starter temp, what you use untill you are sure you like the character and aslo to get to feel what you need more off, then a end template. that template is what you get for your character when you know thats the one char you like to play the most... were you put any items what so ever, no matter price, search for rogs if you have to complete it in a certain way...

i have 3 of my 50's in a "starter" temp, all temps are good, will do more then well all the way to rr13 if i would want to play that long. 1 of my chars is in my so called "end template"... been putting alot of work into it, changed it i dont know how many times before i got satisfied. also to fit it to my playstyle, and my ra setup... it is now my end template, because as it is now, i dont think it can get any better, atleast not for me!

but i understand and i respect ppl that dont wanna spend 300p+ and god knows how many hours into a template untill you feel its worth it. i havent done on the chars im not sure i like, but i also in no way gimped the templates for them, i just know they can be better...

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh I rvr'ed with my sorc in a set of green con gloves for abuot 4mnths because I was too lazy to even go check ME to find a better pair - was amassing parts for a "proper template" at the time, though I am of the opinion that I play to have fun not to be l33t so the only reason I ever sort a template out is more so it less hassle for the healers to heal me when I actually do have some resists as opposed to non - and tbh I never have done the FG v FG thing so 75%+ of all the fights I seem to land in are either 8v16 or 4v12 or something - very very rare you have 2 groups equally balanced and ya template is gonna make the difference - its how ya play imo not what ya wear - pele wore shite boots compared to vinny jones but pele would still pwn him.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Really all depends on the class you play
stealthers and visable solo tanks can't afford to be complacent with templates

I redo my template about once every 8 weeks
I think my current template may last a little longer than 8 weeks though
But I wouldnt be happy to RvR without all my stats, skills and resists capped (or at least 23% and upwards as far as resists are concerned)

But I also enjoy making temps
Templates are an extension of your playstyle, making a template that compliments your playstyle and inhances it with toys/artis is a satisfying experience imho.

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Vladamir said:
I refuse to rvr in rogs :p

Dont underestimate the power of RoG's!

Some rog's are tons better in utility, and usability than any fixed items.

Went for option 1 btw.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The 2nd option (what you can afford) is a minimum. My aim is always for the 1st option though! Get something decent so you can RvR now, work towards the best template you can possibly get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom