Teleport + NTL = Crash?

acei

Fledgling Freddie
On SI when i was fighting in the frontiers or something and was bound at Castle Sauvage as soon as i released SI would lock-up and so would my cable modem in the NTL box so it would require a restart and SI would require reloading.

Now with the new feature in ToA to teleport from one haven to the other, this also causes the NTL modem to lock-up and ToA to also lock-up when i teleport from one haven to the other.

I have tried switching off NAV2004 just incase that was the problem, and i have no more programs in the background that even have the remote possibility of causing such a error. My hardware is more than able to handle ToA and all of my drivers/patches etc are up-to-date.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone else have a cure for it?

Comrades of Camelot

Fledgling Freddie
I'm on NTL, haven't had that problem, although i am having some severe LD problems atm, more than likely due to various upgrades and server imbalances on NTL's side :(

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
I have the same problem, although it doesnt happen all the time, seems to happen when i port or /release to an area that has alot of people in it at the time... causes ToA to lock up, or ld, and then the whole system locks up.

It never happened in SI, seems to be new feature in ToA for me:)

On NTL 1mbit, have ye old motorola surfboard modem.

EDIT: im not sure if the modem is locking up, im connected through a router and the modem isnt near me, however if i try access a webpage after a ToA crash, it cannot connect. (before locking up aswell)

Light

Loyal Freddie
check your network card drivers. got drivers from netgear for mine rather then the ones xp installed and sorted all the probs

Retrakith

Banned
acei said:
On SI when i was fighting in the frontiers or something and was bound at Castle Sauvage as soon as i released SI would lock-up and so would my cable modem in the NTL box so it would require a restart and SI would require reloading.

Now with the new feature in ToA to teleport from one haven to the other, this also causes the NTL modem to lock-up and ToA to also lock-up when i teleport from one haven to the other.

I have tried switching off NAV2004 just incase that was the problem, and i have no more programs in the background that even have the remote possibility of causing such a error. My hardware is more than able to handle ToA and all of my drivers/patches etc are up-to-date.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone else have a cure for it?

i have the same problem, but with BT...

If you find a solution please let me know, it is very annoying..
Happens EVERYTIME I use the "djinn" port or "/release"

acei

Fledgling Freddie
Light said:
check your network card drivers. got drivers from netgear for mine rather then the ones xp installed and sorted all the probs
Thanks for the advice but already got the latest and not sorted it for me :(

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
Think its more than likely to be the software (DAOC) causing this problem ,as 2 of you on seperate ISP's with different equipment are having the issues.
If you use winxp/2k try going to control panel > admin tools > Event Viewer and checking the application and System sections for a entry that matches the time the crash occured. It may give you enough details to have somewhere to start, like the name of a DLL or Driver file.

Zagantia

Fledgling Freddie
Same problem here, occasionally used to get it when releasing from wipeout in RvR and bound at Sauvage. Now happening when I port via Dijjin or release in ToA. :mad:

After release, ToA becomes unstable and then goes LD. PC is also sort of locked up as well and very slow, have to reboot PC usually. Using Vigin broadband which is believe is subbed out to NTL. Updated to latest Nvidia earlier 53.03 but still getting the problem. Anyone works out what the problem is, would appreciate a post here.

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
FYI , i have never ever had this before, but got it for the first time today. System event viewer listed the mouse buffer as being overflowed. Try upping the rate and stuff in control panel > system > Ps2 mouse.

acei

Fledgling Freddie
Boobz said:
FYI , i have never ever had this before, but got it for the first time today. System event viewer listed the mouse buffer as being overflowed. Try upping the rate and stuff in control panel > system > Ps2 mouse.
I use a USB mouse, and although the mouse does freeze up rapidly and unfreezes and freezes and unfreezes etc etc during the lockup's i don't think the mouse is the problem, wish it was :(

I did try a teleport and it crashes liked normal and i looked in the error viewer there's no application errors on it, but it has a system error....

"The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code."

Basically meaning the modem has crashed.

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
Boobz said:

um, sorry dont quite follow that, could you explain step by step? ive looked in control panel system etc, but no ps2 mouse, got my optical mouse listed, but what stuff am i trying to up?

Zagantia

Fledgling Freddie
Netgear FA311 NIC Driver Issue

As Light said above, downloaded a Netgear driver for my NIC and used that instead of the one that Win XP installed and not had a LD after TP in ToA since then :clap:

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
Mishy said:
um, sorry dont quite follow that, could you explain step by step? ive looked in control panel system etc, but no ps2 mouse, got my optical mouse listed, but what stuff am i trying to up?

If you dont have the setting there then it could be that you have no option for it. Or that your mouse has individual settings.

As for the NAT. If you didnt know already, NAT is what translates private inside IP addresses to a public one (rough explanation). I.E you have one public IP from BT or NTL, and 5 machines (or whatever) sharing that one ip, and something has to translate the private ip's to something usable on the internet, and thats NAT's job.
Im banking on drivers for your network card or Modem. Try updating both, try also patching windows upto latest patches (you should all be doing this anyway, it is essential) if that doesnt work, try rolling back to some older drivers.

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
"Basically meaning the modem has crashed."

Do you use a USB modem? Got the option of using a lan card? If so try using it , the issues might clear up.
You could also just leave the modem on the USB on its own, and leave the Mouse on PS2 to reduce the chance of conflicts.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
It certainly worked for me. It seems to affect only Netgear network cards.

You have to force the update, though, as the drivers on the Netgear site are not approved, and XP considers them less up to date than the standard XP ones.

Darzil

acei

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
You have to force the update, though, as the drivers on the Netgear site are not approved, and XP considers them less up to date than the standard XP ones.
Yup, noticed this last night, Netgear hasn't assigned a version number in the .inf file and i won't normally update newest drivers with oldest, which XP was telling me was happening. Anyway i've forced the update now and everything seems to be working, can't test the teleporting much at the moment as to make it crash there had to be alot of people around so i'll try teleporting everywhere at primetime.

Thanks to all that helped solve this problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom