Help Telephone preference service and other things that actually work

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
So, number is on the TPS obviously, but getting more and more, i think Indian? calls trying to see shit and generally being a fucking nuisance.
is there any way to stop this from happening ? getting 5-6 a day is taking the piss.
anyone know of any other thing you can sign up for , i assume there isnt as , as far as i understand it, TPS only works for internal UK numbers or something ?

or any other solution ?
im reticent to engange in buying new phones with caller display and/or signing up to the caller id tracking thing charge for ?

anyone got any bright ideas ?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Unplug the landline.

Or play the waste their time game, keep them engaged for as long as possible without giving them any information or buying anything. it can be rather amusing to try and beat your personal best.

Chilly

Balls of steel
0.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The simplest thing is to change your number.

Mabs

The simplest thing is to change your number.

well i thought about this, but then theres the hassle of updating everyone and everything with the new one, and i was assuming its like email addresses etc.. its nice for 2 weeks then they catch up with you

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
The TPS list is only applicable to companies calling from the UK and those kind of nuisance calls can only be prosecuted / investigated by Ofcom if they originate inside the EU. If the scam callers are ringing from India or the like there isn't anything you can do except invest in a phone that can display the incoming callerid and ignore / block on that.

Mabs

so yea its pretty much as i thought, oh well, wasnt sure if someone had found a better system, hi ho its phone shopping i go :/

Chilly

Balls of steel
The TPS list is only applicable to companies calling from the UK and those kind of nuisance calls can only be prosecuted / investigated by Ofcom if they originate inside the EU. If the scam callers are ringing from India or the like there isn't anything you can do except invest in a phone that can display the incoming callerid and ignore / block on that.
Says the principal perpetrator of cold calling nuisance. You and deebs ought to be ashamed :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We have one but the battery ran out on the handset and I think its down the back of the sofa or in a drawer in the kitchen somewhere.

We have to have a landline for the internet and have a phone plugged in "just in case"

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Get caller ID and an answering machine.

Changing phone number might block the excessive number of calls if you're being targeted. There's probably a lot of mass dialling these days anyway, so changing number isn't an absolute guarantee of getting rid of all annoying phone calls.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Cold calling has finished the landline for me, don't answer it anymore unless it rings 5 times on the row.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As an ex BT data manager I was part the team that implemented caller display and blocking and i can tell you yours truly was at the meetings arguing for the option of auto blocking number withheld to be given to all subscribers, but hey were too scared to implement it, mainly because they feared mass adoption and the loss of a good chunk of their business.
You could at the time ask for it via a paper form, but the code was there to make it blanket for everyone and accessible through keypad codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom