Telephone interviews - worse thing ever...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I know distance-wise sometimes a telephone interview is the only viable means of talkin to someone but they are so damn frustrating.

Silence in a normal interview is okey, as the interviewer can tell your sitting there running scenarios in your head or 'fishing' for the answer but in a telephone interview, all they can hear is your muffled breathing as you try to think of a suitable answer.

Also all those surveys etc. show that your voice is like 15% of your total impact. So the lady that just interviewed me is assessing my whole character by 15% of my impact...

Telephone interviews suck.

Chilly

Balls of steel
almost all real jobs start with a telephone interview. The key point (I've interviewed people in this way) is to persuade the interviewer you have the skills you say you do in your cv and to come accross as a nice person. If you fail on either of those points, it's very likely you'll get the boot before ever coming face to face with anyone from the company that's hiring.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
meh, I totally failed a psychometric test the other day, it was just page upon page upon page of graphs, figures and business %/ration/number crap. I would have been great had I spent the last 3 years doing that sort of thing, but as a "computer scientist" I haven't.. and was just too damn slow... ah well :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
meh, I totally failed a psychometric test the other day, it was just page upon page upon page of graphs, figures and business %/ration/number crap. I would have been great had I spent the last 3 years doing that sort of thing, but as a "computer scientist" I haven't.. and was just too damn slow... ah well :(

Doesnt sound like a psychometric test, sounds like a standard numeracy test.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
That's the one, numerical reasoning, i'll have to practice doing them more. I should have probably better tried to prepare for it to be honest, but the ones I did practice on were much more math based, my bad. Just frustrated that I know I'm very capable at maths, hell I got a first class computer science degree so I had to be, but I was just so slow at trying to work out what it wanted me to do, with questions like "Graph X shows the several companies profit over time, If company A has increases by blah and Company B decreases by bleugh then what is the blargarawarglezargle of the advertisment buget" etc

Chilly

Balls of steel
Yeah I've done a few of them, none of the questions are that hard but the time limits they set are deliberately brutal to push you. Given enough time most people who got a B or A at gcse maths could get it all correct without much trouble.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ive not had a telephone interview before. must count for something for your own experience though of how to answer questions etc.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I've done telephone interviews a few times. Not fun but not too stressful I find. I'm not a fan of phone-based psychometric testing, thats just... wierd.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
telephone interviews are alright
its just knowing the proper technique for them - dont be afraid to ask for a minute to think of your answer etc (obvs not for every question)
numeracy tests are piss too

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
If you have a sexy voice they are actually quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom