Teh Seel makes a Reality Check!! Dark Age of Realism.

O

old.Tohtori

Ok, for far too long has the games lacked the Realism Of Reallife and are filled with silly mistakes that even a five year old poodletrainer could spot from a mile away and with their aunties magnifying glass. Especially in Dark Age of Realism there is a massive amount of things that just are not equal to the Realism Of Reallife. Now it's time for me, Teh Seel, once again show people the light of ways and then steer them into a dip in the insanity pool. I'm not going to Pick'a'Part every detail ingame, but i'll talk about as much as i can. Which, in some states, is a lethal crime. For me. Not you. Relax.

To Dye or not to Dye

In the lacking of Realism Of Reallife section, the dyes of the game rank up very very high. One would imagine that such a little thing as coloring your armor could be implemented in a realistic way, but there is no such luck for the gamer. A few examples:

- When coloring a piece of armor/leather in the rain, the color still stayes perfectly on the armor. Heck, you can even take a jerkin and dye it pink, then jump into the river and it stays as sparkly spanking new as it was.

- One Magical Pot of Dye can color one helmet, one pair of boots, one jerkin, one set of gloves, one cloak, one shield(no matter the size) or a set of panties. Now, the problem here and a total clash with Realism Of Reallife is the fact that the Magical Pot of Dye covers everything equally. So dipping a pair of silk gloves in a dyepot will color them and spend the dye completely. But that same amount of dye can also be applied to a full jerkin that covers your whole torso.

- Applying dye over dye does not stack. When you add a coat of paint on a car, the paint under it doesn't disappear. If you add 2000 coats of paint to your car, it's bound to have some nasty sideeffects. Even perhaps add to the weight. But not with Magical Dyes of DAoR. These things just make the previous color just poof away. Ever dipped a paintbrush from blue to yellow? The paintbrush still holds the blue color and turns the water you dip it in, kinda greenish. Shocking lack of Realism Of Reallife.

Hoboville Extreme

Nobody lives in a house anymore. Actually, nobody eats, sleeps, drinks or relieves themselves in DAoR either. The jobrate of DAoR is 100% (totally realistic...cough...). Everyone has a job as a shopkeep, bartender or a Magical Dye merchant. For a world so filled with business, one would think that the people would live in huge mansions, but no. These people must really love the outdoors since every house i've been to is either a shop, a bar or a trainerhouse. Heck, i think i've seen only one person live in a house in Audliten(Midgard) and his days are spent telling the same freaking story to everyone who might go over to the second floor and poke him in a bodypart of their choice. I don't understand why Albion wants to invade Midgard, or why Hibernia wants to destroy Albion...there's nothing to destroy. Just a few shops all around the realm. Even the stables in Jordheim are empty.

"Let us go to Albion and burn their homes!"

"Sir...they live outside."

"Umm...let us...go over and...burn their shops?"

Somebody please...think of the children....which bring me to my next point.

Who Ate the Children?

Evidently the people of DAoR are born in tubes of some sort. And since this is the medieval times, i guess in a barrel. Bread for 20 or so years and then released next to a trainer that the "Higher Powers" decide to fit that particular subject. Ofcourse no world would be inpar with Realism Of Reallife without different kind of people. We have short, medium and tall people. With 10...think of it...10!! different faces, more or less and ofcourse female or male. This give the world depth and a huge variety of different looking people. Ofcourse this would only be true if we were all born from the same strand of DNA and raised in tubes...hmm... I see the point. So children are a noshow in this world, and who could blame them really? Except me. I wouldn't bring a 5 year old kid into a world where creatures stay in same spots and all the people lived on the street either. Ofcourse i would personally release a bunch of kids out there just to see how long it would take for a smiera-gatto to rip them to shreads, but that's just me.

Something you won't see in DAoR...and some say "good thing".
kid.jpg

Just sit down for a while and call me in the morning.

The bloodfilled battle. The cuts and wounds. Marks of a fierce battle. Mortally wounded. Not here. In this world, if you have your arms half cut off, one leg missing, bleeding from every part of your body and all in all a lost case, you can just sit down for a little rest and you'll be bright as rain. No need for mystical healing, no need for days of rest and strange herbs, just sit down, relax and let nature take it's course. Which ofcourse is a 100% full health after sitting on some piece of grass for a minute or two. This is realism folks! When you get hit by a car outside, don't bother calling 911, just sit down, take a deep breath and let the earthworms magically repair you.

Magical Pockets Of Carryall

Last thing i'll mention, for now, is the oh so wonderfully realistic way that people carry stuff around. Ofcourse it would be ridicilous and totally non-realistic for people to have bags, backpacks or even a box of some sort to carry things. No, not here, not in DAoR. You stuff stuff(har har) in your pockets. One can carry a few dozen bearhides, a couple of axes, full set of armor and 20 bottles of Magical Dye in their opckets and still run away from an angry wolf with ease. Ofcourse the Magical Pockets of Carryall are not perfect, when you stuff too much into them..i use the term "too much" loosely since it's roughly around 1000kg...you get encumbered and walk a tad slower. Ofcourse if you place too many full platemail sets into your pockets, you can't walk at all. You can just stand, jump, dance and turn around without moving your feet. That's the backsidepole in action there folks. Ofcourse it's only realistic that you could at all lift that final straw that brakes the camles back, but...it's not that important really. The important thing is, that you can carry around the whole supply of a K-Mart in your pockets and still be able yoga if you want.

Yup. This too is an item that can be found in a trolls Magical Pocket of Carryall.
cow-daisy.jpg

That's all for now, might come back for another reality check later, might not. I might afterall have to SHOWER or EAT or even SLEEP. Goodness gracious what a crazy un-realistic world...

M

Madonion Slicer

Nice post but you do know it is a game right.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Madonion Slicer
Nice post but you do know it is a game right.

Nice post but you do know it´s "teh seel" right.

M

Madonion Slicer

Nice answer i do know when i am owned right.

A

Ardrias_Mid

Tothori, do you get paid at your work?
Or is it more like... a job that they give to mentally handicapped, so they can feel like they have a meaningful life, while they spam away at boards all day? :mad:

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Ardrias_Mid
Tothori, do you get paid at your work?
Or is it more like... a job that they give to mentally handicapped, so they can feel like they have a meaningful life, while they spam away at boards all day? :mad:

I shall not answer this question for legal purposes :p

A

Ardrias_Mid

I dont get it? :(

For the record: I'm at work, doing.... stuff!

O

old.Tohtori

I work. With a good pay. Just that (well gombur atleast knows) the program is rendering and there's nothing to do in the meanwhile :p

I'm multitasking!

O

old.Alliandre

Another thing that's completely lacking in reality in DAoR is the fact that you don't actually have to breath. I mean, where are the /breathin and /breathout commands? I've always been disapointed at the realism in DAoR.

A

Ardrias_Mid

Sure, I'll give you that ;)

Gifv time to go home now :( velly boring at work with no real work to do

S

siftwind

Good on you tohtori, I'm multislacking too. Interesting post m8, not that I agree with your sentiments. It's true that daoc has some very unrealistic aspects but I'd rather it was that way. After all, if it was too realistic then daoc life would be very, very dull. I guess it's a balance of realism and gameplay (and a price that doesn't reflect the millions of hours of development that what you want would require) and I'll continue to use my imagination to fill the gaps where daoc doesn't quite meet reality. Anyway everyone knows that dyes aren't just some coloured liquid that covers the surface of an item. They are magical tinctures that imbue themselves within an item to present a colourful aura that has no physical presence.
Keep up the posts and ignore the flamers that have nothing better to do than criticise what you've taken the effort to write (cue flames).

Cheers :)

G

Graknak

Say Seel0r you forgot the CoC breaking kiddy npc's in camelot (altough they are just adults with a shrink spell on them, which ofcourse is still shelved by Mythic for pc's) making fun of all iconnu passing by, imho, they should be reported :D

H

Harhr

Originally posted by Lumikki
Nice one, well thought :)

hullu olet silti... ;)

xx

Mä välillä mietin jos se oikeesti on suomalainen ku en koskaa oo nähny suomenkielist sanaa siltä, mut tekeehän se joitain kirjotusvirheitä englanniks nii ei se täysenglantilainen oo :p

täytyy myöntää et kyl se aika hullu on joten toi "outo" sopii sille hyvin :)

Nerf Savages.

H

haruh

What I actually find kind of strange is that when everyone is released from their "tube" they all run at exactly same speed... and they can only run in one speed, or.. two, but one is walking. That'd be kind of anying in RL if you just had two speeds... but I guess it works kind of well when you can run all across a continent without slowing down cause you're tired.

And, why don't I get damage when I run with max skald speed into a tree? I know that hurts alot... I've done it in RL (it was a door though) :p

... and with a bit more thinking... and we turn things around, and implement a way of daoc thinking in RL... what if your friend of yours were kicking you lightly on your foot for a very very long time... wouldn't you die then? As you must loose atleast 1 hp every kick... and we all have a certain number of hp's right?
But, I guess it's resists and stuff that makes us survive

Your friend kicks you lighty on the leg for 1(-1) damage

or something like that. And... of course... well your regenerate health too...oh well, This didn't work at all, but I was thiknig while writing and I'm to lazy to remove it. :m00:

mayby I shuold go to bed instead.

:sleeping:

L

Lumikki

Originally posted by Harhr
Mä välillä mietin jos se oikeesti on suomalainen ku en koskaa oo nähny suomenkielist sanaa siltä, mut tekeehän se joitain kirjotusvirheitä englanniks nii ei se täysenglantilainen oo :p

täytyy myöntää et kyl se aika hullu on joten toi "outo" sopii sille hyvin :)

Nerf Savages.

Ihan totta :) Paljastakoot herra itse totuuden ;)

ps. We're just wondering the origing of this mad genious :)

xx

O

old.Tohtori

Prkl! Ei uskota Hylkee alkuperiä vai täh? Pitää vissii ottaa maila pörröseen tassuu ja tulla opettamaa vähän Kalevalaa :p Eli puhdasta suomea täällä, enklanti vaan toinen kieli(noin persaatteessa). Ei löydy joutsenmerkkiä mut laatulihaa *muah*

Ok, enough of finnish(no i didn't mean i'm finished) and back to ontopic, as crazy as it sounds coming from Teh Seel. There's a whole ton of realism aspects that i could twist and turn, haruh gave good examples so feel free to post your own too :D

K

Kagato.

Actually there are some children in Albion (and I don't just mean the immature players). There in Camelot and damn annoying, which is kinda realistic really.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Kagato.
Actually there are some children in Albion (and I don't just mean the immature players). There in Camelot and damn annoying, which is kinda realistic really.

Escaped lurikeens don't count as children... :eek:

D

Driwen

I think there are some homes in Knarr (midgard SI) and talked to enough npc's who arent a merchant or trainer or master of some craft :p

O

old.Downanael

Originally posted by Lumikki
Ihan totta :) Paljastakoot herra itse totuuden ;)

ps. We're just wondering the origing of this mad genious :)

xx

Täällähän on varsinainen invaasio käynnissä :clap:

Ok ok i stop it :D

H

heilel

There's the kid next to Prydwen bridge.
IT's one of the early quests in the game, I think you're supposed to talk to the kid and you have to find out what happened to his dad or something.

Users who are viewing this thread