Technical aspects of DAOC - some questions

Rage

Fledgling Freddie
Greetings

I have a few technical questions that I would like to get an answer to. I have been away from the game a long time but recently came back, so I am a bit rusty =).

1. Does daoc use Direct 3D or OpenGL, in many games you get to choose but I cant find any such choice in the settings for daoc. From the GFX optimizations I set (AA,AF etc) it looks like direct3d, surely OPenGL would be better?

2. Also regarding the GFX aspect. I know a few older games leave some graphic calculations to the CPU since GPU´s werent all that powerful back in the days. Daoc seems to use an unhealthy amount of CPU power, much more than WoW even. Crappy coding in general, GPU helper or what?

regards
R.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not gonna ask you why OpenGl should be better than DX... its just gonna be one of those silly MS vs Linux, ATI vs Nvidia, my Dad is bigger than yours discussion.

What makes you think DAoC uses "an unhealthy amount of CPU power"? I run 2 clients on a 2000+ Athlon with XP. Cpu usage has never been an issue to me. If at all then RAM load is.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
1: DAoC uses Direct 3D.
2: The CPU usage depends a lot on the client. The ToA client is an older client that uses more CPU power. From Catacombs onwards, a lot of the work has been shifted to the GPU.

Rage

Fledgling Freddie
thanks Requiel for the quick reply =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom