Technical adivise

S

Shatari

This is not a DAoC related issue, and thus is why I post it here in off topic.

My computer has distorted graphic in Battlefield 2, Guild Wars and Final Fantasy Online. I've never had this problem in any other games, here including games with using very good graphic as Dark Age of Camelot, Unreal Tournament serie, etc.

I've tried following:
Checking my 2 blocks of RAM, by taking one out a time.
Getting a new monitor
Changing ingame graphic+resolution
Fitting desktop resolution to match game resolution
Changing graphic card from GeForce FX5600 to GeForce 6600GT
Checking different drivers for both GeForce FX5600 and GeForce 6600GT
Using different screen-updating-speed (or whatever it's called in english)
Using different system performance (i.e High performance, high quality, etc.)
Using different anti-aliasing
Updating drivers for my motherboard (SiS 648)
Updating and degrading DirectX and using Dxdiag to check if something should be wrong

As you can hear I've spend alot of money and time trying to fix the problem. Last option I could see would be to switch motherboard or buying new RAM's in case that my two blocks of RAM should show to damaged (I highly doubt this is the case). But before doing this I thought I would ask you all.

Pictures

Tilda

Logically its either a PSU, CPU or mobo problem then!
Try a different/more powerful psu, and if that dosnt work change mobo/cpu.

S

Shatari

Tilda said:
Logically its either a PSU, CPU or mobo problem then!
Try a different/more powerful psu, and if that dosnt work change mobo/cpu.

Thanks for the help :)
I feared the problem was something like this. Oh well, nothing to do than replace those parts then.

Inko

Fledgling Freddie
I've have same type of screen artifacts at times, however it usually happens when I alt-tab to the desktop. If it happens while in-game, alt-tabbing to the desktop and back solves it.

Back when I used a Geforce(1) card I had it happening quite a lot suddenly, and I found out that the fan on the card was not running - overheating!

Now I use a ATI9700 with passive cooling, so it would make sense if the artifacts I have occasionally were becourse of slight overheating. Why it helps alt-tabbing is then a little mystery, but it might reset some state on the video-card, what do I know?!

Anyway, I won't put 'turbine-Soprano'(noisy fan) on the card just to get over this little problem. When the card dies off it will make a good reason for me to upgrade. ;)

But since you have tried 2x video cards, perhaps we can rule out overheating. I hope you get it fixed though. :)

S

Shatari

I know alt-tabbing solves the problem (when you've done it for an age) in both BF2 and GW, but FFXI doesn't allow minimizing or usage of the windows button. If you try anyway, then it'll drop you to desktop. Using tools to disable this, is counted as using a 3rd party program, and will get you banned.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
If it helps I know I don't get artifacts with my Geforce 6600 GT on BF2, not played the others though so can't help ya there..

I reckon its something to do with you not playing DAOC tbh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom