Teamspeak ?

opticle

Part of the furniture
Hey,

Just a quick question - does Freddys have any kind of Teamspeak server ? Or similar ?

Just thought it might be fun.

Also.. Is Teamspeak the 'thing' to have or is it Ventrilo these days ?

Ta :)

Poag

m00?
Varies depending on who you ask. TS is simplest and imo provides the best functions. Vent is popular due to the same reasons. Mumble is a close 3rd, but requires more work to get it to work aswell as TS/Vent, but it can go alot further permissions wise.

I had a TS server for freddys up previously, mainly those who were DayZ'ing. However as far as i know Mabs threw a fit and they moved to his Vent server :p

I have some TS licences around that can be used for 512 slot servers. I'll happily set one up and Deebs can put it under a FH domain!

Deebs ?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Varies depending on who you ask. TS is simplest and imo provides the best functions. Vent is popular due to the same reasons. Mumble is a close 3rd, but requires more work to get it to work aswell as TS/Vent, but it can go alot further permissions wise.

I had a TS server for freddys up previously, mainly those who were DayZ'ing. However as far as i know Mabs threw a fit and they moved to his Vent server :p

I have some TS licences around that can be used for 512 slot servers. I'll happily set one up and Deebs can put it under a FH domain!

Deebs ?
Sounds like a plan, if you don't want to host it I can do that also. PC me to continue...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
technically, Mumble is best

TS3 and Vent are very similair and it comes down to personal preference
i have a personal preference for ventrilo, as most of the DAoC crowd use it , and have done for days, apart from french people who use TS, who knows :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I love Mumble, think it rocks and you don't have to bend over to run it unlike Teamshit and Ventrishit. I am sure I have a Mumble server somewhere... :p

opticle

Part of the furniture
I'll use whatever people want to use ^^ Then I will force my pals to do the same and slowly make them Freddys. :)

Just thought it'd be cool to have (another) way of seeing who's around and what's afoot ! Plus I don't feel 1337 connecting to the Teamspeak test server when I want to set up a channel.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I love Mumble, think it rocks and you don't have to bend over to run it unlike Teamshit and Ventrishit. I am sure I have a Mumble server somewhere... :p
This.

Poag

m00?
Meh. Personally find Mumble client annoying due to its lack of open api for g15 keyboards, same as vent. Additionally its voice activation is awful when compared to Vent or TS, can spend hours tweaking the values and get it so it works maybe most of the time. Or use vent/ts where it works all the time without hours of tweaking.

Dont get me wrong I do like the Mumble ACLs, and its ability to support massive servers, but ease of use and simplicity make vent and ts more user friendly.

Also if by bending over to run TS, you mean filling out an 8 field form and waiting 10 minutes? Dont really call that bending over for something personally! And mumbles reliance on ICE is a ballache at best and a nightmare at worst, I really dont get why they couldn't just run a query service like vent and ts.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I never had any issues "tweaking" Mumble. Did the wizard, set it up, it works. Same under Ubuntu and on iOS. Hardest thing I had was getting the Key file onto the iOS version but that's because iOS is a pain in the arse for these things.

Poag

m00?
I never had any issues "tweaking" Mumble. Did the wizard, set it up, it works. Same under Ubuntu and on iOS. Hardest thing I had was getting the Key file onto the iOS version but that's because iOS is a pain in the arse for these things.
If your using the defaults and push to talk then you wont run into many problems. VA however seems to be a fickle beast on mumble. It either requires you to shout at it, or transmits continuously/at the slightest mouse fart in the next village over. And the middle ground between the two is fairly tiny.
I spent an evening doing scaling lines at my PC to get the sensitivity right where i wanted it. So that it would go off when i spoke normally, not when i breathed and wouldn't clip the ends of my sentences or in the middle of the sentence.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nope, I don't use push to talk, never had any issues.

Poag

m00?
Well gonna have to disagree with you there then. I had to spend ages fine tuning it as did one of the Ukrainians i game with regularly when we moved onto the AR GW2 mumble, the other refused to dick around, so we just heard everything going on in his house :p

Mabs

people who refuse to use push-to-talk should be rounded up and beaten with stale bread

been on far too many servers where all you can hear is people coughing/sneezing/scratching their arse/having a wank/arguing with the wife

theres really no excuse for it apart from being fucking lazy :/

opticle

Part of the furniture
Voice activation is far better provided you set it up properly. Never had any issues with it on TS or friends on it, not tried the others.

Well, I'll leave it to folk to fight about and sort out :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
People who have voice activation on, and you can hear them typing makes me want to go to their house, knock a wall through, put a CD player in the cavity of the wall, put a Justin Beiber Compilation CD on loop and rebuild the wall, it gets me that upset.

Poag

m00?
people who refuse to use push-to-talk should be rounded up and beaten with stale bread

been on far too many servers where all you can hear is people coughing/sneezing/scratching their arse/having a wank/arguing with the wife

theres really no excuse for it apart from being fucking lazy :/
I'm generally on two voice servers at once. I use VA for the server i'm playing games on, and push-to-talk for the server i'm hanging around on. The push-to-talk also happens to be the mute self button on the VA server.

So ner :p

Poag

m00?
People who have voice activation on, and you can hear them typing makes me want to go to their house, knock a wall through, put a CD player in the cavity of the wall, put a Justin Beiber Compilation CD on loop and rebuild the wall, it gets me that upset.
Evidently they didn't have VA setup properly then! A properly setup VA means you dont hear background noise or keyboard.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I'm generally on two voice servers at once. I use VA for the server i'm playing games on, and push-to-talk for the server i'm hanging around on. The push-to-talk also happens to be the mute self button on the VA server.

So ner :p

You Sir, are a Gentleman.

Mabs

lol @ people expecting the denizens of the interwebs to be competant

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just a bump of an old thread for the moment until I add a page,

Mumble: mumble.freddyshouse.com
TeamSpeak3: teamspeak.freddyshouse.com

Should be on default ports for each platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom