Team for Saturday

M

mank

Given that there's no Ferdinand and it's pretty unlikely Owen will be fully fit (let's say he isn't for the purpose on this exercise) what would be your starting eleven from the squad named?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/3172520.stm

4-4-2 formation

GK: Robinson
DR: G. Neville
DC: Campbell
DC: Terry
DL: Bridge
MR: Beckham
MC: Gerrard (holding role)
MC: Scholes (free role)
ML: Hargreaves
FC: Rooney
SC: Vassell

Robinson deserves a spot because he scored that bloody goal against us and he's a much better 'keeper than Calamity James will ever be. I've never rated Cole and personally think he's absolutely useless defensively and spends too much time arguing with refs - although we've got Collina on Saturday so that wouldn't be too much of a problem - but I've dropped him in favour of Bridge who I feel is a much more defensively minded player. No surprises in midfield except for Hargreaves who looked decent out on the left when he came on about Liechtenstein and he's not that bad a player at all. Gerrard plays a holding role in midfield, dropping back to cover the back four when the opposition have the ball and assuming a natural midfield position when attacking to cover Scholes when he makes his forward runs where hopefully he'll be able to work some magic like he does for Man Utd. It took careful deliberation when it came to picking Vassell or Heskey, as they're very different players but I've taken into account that the Turkish defenders aren't midgets and Alpay in particular is quite strong so any aerial/strength advantage Heskey may wield would be neglible, whereas their defense have been stretched by pace and in the absence of Owen I feel Vassell would be able to provide this pace. I realise he's rarely started for England but when he has come on he's certainly looked good and although he doesn't set the Premiership alight with Villa he's a good player and I feel he has the correct attributes that Heskey and Beattie can't provide in the absence of Owen. My only concern is that the strikers are both very young, but bearing in mind that Owen isn't exactly old I'd hope it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway. Discuss, you don't have to do it at quite so much length as I did :)

X

xane

Originally posted by mank
and he's a much better 'keeper than Calamity James will ever be.

The same James who denied Turkey the net last time ?

He's doing pretty well for the Hammers, perhaps the best defence in Division 1.

O

old.UKTwister

Why Hargreaves? He's only in the squad coz he plays for a top european team, yet he isnt much good.

Vassell up front ? definately. It's his record for england that counts, not whether he can score for villa.

I don't think i'd start rooney, maybe heskey if someone gives him a kick up the arse and tells him to shoot. Heskey would be useful for winning the high balls and the physical stuff. - and probably falling over too :p

Answer to the left = Alan thompson/McManaman.

I'm not too sure on wayne bridge, i think ashley cole is much better going forward and defensively there just as rubbish as each other.

M

mank

yeah, Division 1. Remember that you actually got relegated?

hey, Rhys Evans has kept four clean sheets - perhaps he should start for England!

J

Jonaldo

Well Paul Robinson hasn't done himself many favours at the start of this season. One good penalty save and scoring a goal doesn't get a keeper selected for his country.

James will start, even if only because of his experience, which is the same reason why he'll pick Cole over Bridge, although I think Gareth Barry should have a chance at left back.

M

mank

Originally posted by old.UKTwister
Why Hargreaves? He's only in the squad coz he plays for a top european team, yet he isnt much good.

I've seen him a few times and he's looked far more accomplished on the left flank than anyone else has so far. Someone should go back in time and force Giggs to play for England, not Wales :)

I don't think i'd start rooney, maybe heskey if someone gives him a kick up the arse and tells him to shoot. Heskey would be useful for winning the high balls and the physical stuff. - and probably falling over too :p

Yeah but like I said, his size and strength isn't going to be as much of an advantage as Vassells pace will be and I think Rooney deserves to start, he's scored in the past two games and has been absolutely excellent so I see no reason why he shouldn't!

I'm not too sure on wayne bridge, i think ashley cole is much better going forward and defensively there just as rubbish as each other.

Cole's better going forward but if we're using proper wingers theres not so much need for him to get forward and because all we need is a draw - although we ought to go for the win and we probably will - then it's better to have someone slightly more defensive.

M

mank

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Well Paul Robinson hasn't done himself many favours at the start of this season. One good penalty save and scoring a goal doesn't get a keeper selected for his country.

Robinson is a solid 'keeper and in all honesty it's not really his fault he's got four players in front of him who don't speak a word of English. I also have very little faith in James, I'm always nervous on crosses but he's a solid shot stopper. It's the same case with the keepers at Swindon, we put Evans in goal because Griemink was like James, a good shot stopper but otherwise fairly crap and the difference it's made is immense. I chose Robinson in the hope of a similar effect.

I think Gareth Barry should have a chance at left back.

Except he plays in midfield for Villa doesn't he? His name is one that's always mentioned when the left side of midfield is discussed but I've never seen him play there, only left back and central midfield.

J

Jonaldo

(Gareth Barry)
Except he plays in midfield for Villa doesn't he? His name is one that's always mentioned when the left side of midfield is discussed but I've never seen him play there, only left back and central midfield.
Wel lthat started with Graham Taylor not having a clue and playing Barry in midfield instead of his strongest position which is at left back.

I'm hoping Spurs will sign Paul Konchesky as he seems to be a pretty solid left back and has already made one appearance for England at that position. Bizarrely enough he's also been played in left midfield for Charlton and one time for Tottenham. Sems most clubs are so desparate for that width in midfield they'll stick any left footer out there. Hopefully we can play Ziege there and Konchesky at left back...

But Spurs aside I hope Konchesky with a few good performances could maybe push for that left back spot along with Cole & Bridge. With all these decent young left backs surely it wouldn't take much figuring for the England boss to push one of them forward in the future, most probably Cole.

M

mank

Bizarrely enough he's also been played in left midfield for Charlton and one time for Tottenham. Sems most clubs are so desparate for that width in midfield they'll stick any left footer out there.

Last season we had no left footers at the club at all, only Johnnie Jackson who we had on loan from you for a few months. As a result we played a right footer on the left flank for ages (Duke) but then over the summer we signed an abundance of left sided players (Viveash, Howard, Nicholas, Mooney) yet he insists on playing Duke on the left still. That is bizarre.

With all these decent young left backs surely it wouldn't take much figuring for the England boss to push one of them forward in the future, most probably Cole.

He's already tried it with Bridge on the left of midfield and Cole at left back and it didn't work. They ended up confusing each other all the time, I think it was against Macedonia at home? Not sure. Either way sticking a left back out on left midfield doesn't really work unless he's a wingback, and there seems to be a complete lack of English left footed wingers and wingbacks.

J

Jonaldo

there seems to be a complete lack of English left footed wingers and wingbacks.
Matty Etherington looked pretty good when he came to us from Peterboro but he was a typical left winger and Hoddle insists on playing wingbacks so he could never get into the team. (he was signed by Pleat when Graham was still in charge) Bit annoying now that Hoddle has gone and we're playing 4-4-2 again but we let West Ham take him off us as part exchange for Kanouté.
Hope he can come up with West Ham and if he continues to progress then maybe he can stake a claim in a season or two, think he's only 21 now so there's a little hope there.

S

Scouse

Wouldn't put Rooney or Vassell up front unless we were a goal behind.

I'd use Bellamy and Heskey.

Heskey can't hit a cows ass with a banjo unless it's handed to him on a plate - but he makes the midfield about 200% more secure when he's on the pitch - and is a nice tall outlet when we need to h00f it out of defence whilst not wanting to invite an immediate return of pressure.

Bellamy scores more and defends less - but is better defensively than Vassell and much more level-headed than Rooney. Works hard too.

Rooney would prolly get himself sent off - bring him on maybe later. Vassell is too lightweight and is at best a sub - or bring on when we're losing....

....remember people - the most important thing to do in this match is not concede - a goal would be a very nice icing on the cake :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Scouse

Bellamy scores more and defends less - but is better defensively than Vassell and much more level-headed than Rooney. Works hard too.
Two problems with using Bellamy up front for England in this match.

1. He's not been selected so can't play :mad:

2. He's Welsh so won't ever play for England :p

M

mank

....remember people - the most important thing to do in this match is not concede - a goal would be a very nice icing on the cake :)

We'll concede a goal, no doubt about that as far as I'm concerned :)

U

-Ultimate

Wouldn't put Rooney or Vassell up front unless we were a goal behind.

Heskey can't hit a cows ass with a banjo unless it's handed to him on a plate - but he makes the midfield about 200% more secure when he's on the pitch - and is a nice tall outlet when we need to h00f it out of defence whilst not wanting to invite an immediate return of pressure.

Rooney would prolly get himself sent off - bring him on maybe later. Vassell is too lightweight and is at best a sub - or bring on when we're losing....

Do you mean Beattie?!

As for team selection after doing it via that link i found i'd pick the same team as mank :)

Oh, and i don't rate Heskey at all, i think for his size and strength he goes to ground far to easy...

M

mank

I think he does, uinfortunately Beattie has looked bloody awful at international level.

I say Sam Parkin and Tommy Mooney should lead the front line on Saturday night.

except Parkin's injured, fuck :/

S

Scouse

Sorry chaps. I meant Beattie :)

I was pissed as fuck and was talking to a m8 about the last really enjoyable display of international football I watched was the first 45 mins of Italy-Wales........

.....hey ho - you all knew who I meant....

(and I'm twice as pissed now - and I won the pub quiz!) :clap:

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom