Teaching Assistants going to be axed... ?!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
And don't get me started on the recently graduated students who refuse to take an entry level job and think they are owed a £50k plus job right out of University.

this is so fucking true, and been a labour supporter i find myself sick that they the sold the country a lie. promising all the kids if they studied hard and go to college and uni they will get world class jobs what utter bullshit it is. the shit jobs do need doing thats true but there is a stigma surrounding it as if they are somehow a lower class of humanity thats what needs to change peoples perceptions. take away peoples self respect and you are left with the social problems this country is facing.

rynnor

Rockhound
Raven said:
Only if it is a rewarding job to society. I don't much want my tax money paying for someone to do well in marketing.

Rewarding to society is a purely subjective measure - if it generates taxes that can be spent to maintain society then its to the general good.

You cant have doctors and nurses and teachers etc. without somebody paying for it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Rewarding to society is a purely subjective measure - if it generates taxes that can be spent to maintain society then its to the general good.

You cant have doctors and nurses and teachers etc. without somebody paying for it.

ofc not but the tax generated by some hipster who works in the great jirclejerk that is marketing is tiny compared to the taxes that could be generated if we had people doing proper jobs. If we have people trained to do real things then we would attract investment from foreign companies and be able to develop our own industries.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ofc not but the tax generated by some hipster who works in the great jirclejerk that is marketing is tiny compared to the taxes that could be generated if we had people doing proper jobs. If we have people trained to do real things then we would attract investment from foreign companies and be able to develop our own industries.

In the UK last year, £20bn was spent on advertising; not marketing in total, just advertising. All of which is taxed, all of which provides employment. Advertising alone generated for the exchequer about the same as half the tax revenue from North Sea oil. Add in the tax revenues from increased sales generated because of marketing, and the rest of the marketing spend itself that's taxed, and that's a lot more tax revenue than oil. Don't let your prejudices get in the way of the actual facts.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And like I said, its a circlejerk. Very little of that money actually comes into the economy from abroad, which is what we as a country should be focusing on. We don't export enough and while there are small areas where technological manufacturing goes on, not nearly enough. Same for sciences, if it wasn't for the whole OMGWEREALLGOINGTODIEFROMCLIMATECHANGE™ nonsense we would have virtually no scientific based economy.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
And like I said, its a circlejerk. Very little of that money actually comes into the economy from abroad, which is what we as a country should be focusing on. We don't export enough and while there are small areas where technological manufacturing goes on, not nearly enough. Same for sciences, if it wasn't for the whole OMGWEREALLGOINGTODIEFROMCLIMATECHANGE™ nonsense we would have virtually no scientific based economy.

What a wilful misunderstanding of how the economy works. You could make the same argument about retail or domestic banking or a whole bunch of other industries, but that completely fails to understand how value-add works.

I don't disagree that there's not enough export activity, but that's actually kind of irrelevant because everything we do export has a marketing spend attached to it. Let's put it this way, our second biggest export sector is pharmaceuticals, and typically the sales and marketing budget (they call it SG&A in the drugs biz) is bigger than the R&D budget, often much bigger in the larger conglomerates, and a bit lower in the smaller biotechs.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So the ex deputy head of the wifes school who got 5years for watching and inciting a man to rape his three year old neice got out this week after 3 years and the cunt is blatantly walking around the shops where he lives by us.

Job

Says the guy using a dead language.

rynnor

Rockhound
Raven said:

If you dont market your product how do you expect to export it?

You also fundamentally misunderstand marketing - its not just about selling things - its also about producing products people wish to buy.

No point producing crap no one wants.

Job

Actually its about convincing people they cant live without something they never thought to buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom