Tactical Squad Play

W

Will

Has anyone actually been in a squad which plays tactically? Coming from a background of tactical FPS games (Op Flash in particular) I'm finding the lack of tactics in this game a little disappointing. I'm so sick of zerg assaults with huge numbers of people charging through a tiny little corridor, guns blazing.

S

SoWat

I think the problem is that pretty much everything is a zerg because Exp is geared towards taking bases (I believe it was different/better in beta).

If the Exp was geared towards individual kills, then I'd guess the population would be a bit more spread out (prolly kidding myself there tho!)

Hopefully when large numbers of people gain BR20, the focus will move to fighting over all terrains. I'd also hope that the game would have some other 'goals' in it by then... like attacking/defending bridges/woods etc).

W

Will

If only the XP favoured even fights...reducing the XP received of you totally outnumbered the other side.

I must get the PS devs to start reading this forum.;)

M

Manic Miner

I used to play in savage outfit where we all had our roles and squad leaders would ask specifics of us and not just placing WP's all over the place. calling for hackers, med in squad chat and generally working as a team.

unfortunately savage players dissapeared for the regular reasons and the outfit fell apart. finally i moved into another outfit but am sorely dissapointed with the level of tactics.

so far the squad leaders have just placed a couple of WP's and about it. sometimes they're not even updated them even after the objective have been cleared for 10-20 mins and everyone is elsewhere.

it's a large outfit that regularly have 3 squads on the go, but so far i've not seen a gal or sunderer used to keep the squad together and everyone seems more interested in the zerg and obtaining the 5k jackpot :(

i'm hoping that someone will tell me of another outfit at some point that uses tactics and teamplay much more like the early days in savage :(

regards,

R

Rigon-Noir-

Actually, we play as tactically as we can, usually preparing flanking or from behind assaults in the one or sometimes 2 outfit squads we have going. Sometimes you have no option but the zerg and if you don't eventually run into one, one runs into you and soaks you up. Yesterday on Ish was a prime example, so before it got too overrun we moved to Amerish where there was only us and maybe another squad at best.

I think a lot of people drift into the zergs becuase it will involve some decent battles but most of all it will usually get you capped xp when the base is taken. Seems people still hunger xp more than anything else, despite the fact that at BR6 you've pretty much got enough cert points to become anything you want (reinforced with heavy assault, max or infil with adv hacking, and of course your first implant) maybe eventually some will work it out when at 20, they aren't the uber soldiers they thought they'd be, just the same ones they were at BR1 with a few more options to choose from(remember, doesnt matter how many vehicles you have certs to, you can only drive one at a time. Same goes for armour set ups as well really)

We do have a habbit of often moving to low populated continents if we have a link there and start a series of hacks waiting for the fight to come to us. Most of the fun is seeing if they can work out where well be next :D

There is something we came accross recently that sort of confirms the things im talking about, our outfit leader is Bondino, a guy i've played many many FPS games with and he has a sound tactical mind. He makes very good use of his CR3 (ok not 5 but getting there) by actually using the map drawing and texting tools before we start our assault. I usually do the same with number sequences on bases to hack, crossed towers and even squad member names of places to hack/ secure. Some people have actually said "whats all this shit on the map, you don't need it", of course, they're usually the ones in mixed squads that are at the top of the map while the whole squad is elsewhere.

Sorry for the big post but there is a lot of outfits out there who do try and tactically assault and overcome TR and NC lands. I do think it tends to be the smaller outfits tho as they (we) just don't have the numbers to do it any other way.

Anyone wanting to join us are more than welcome to give it a go, no harm in trying, if you don't like it you move on. if not us i know a few smaller outfits who are always recruiting, give me a shout ingame.

bye for now

Ps:i don't rant on like this in game, the wont let me ;)

P

[PS]Nova

Sovereign Guard try to act tactically, but seeing as both outfit leaders don't really have a background in fps (not online ones anyhow) we're sort of making it up as we go. We've had a few great times, and a few not so great times, but I think we're getting there, hopefully we are :)

I know I'm not a good leader, which is why I don't lead :)

Although if anyone's got any good tips as to how to lead well, please go ahead, post them here :)

G

Gekul

I used to play HLDM, and believe it or not, I found more tactics there than I have here. Which is a shame, because I don't think the actual gameplay is as skill orientated in this game either.
I don't join squads often, because there isn't much point to them. I do the same things as when I am solo, for less experience, with more waiting around. I play to kill things, which is why I am less interested in capping bases, I just end up near them because that's where the action is.
Because of the scale of the battles, individual jobs are less important, and tactics remain simple.
There have been occasions in my outfit that have been quite rewarding. Moving as an outfit, each with different jobs. Where you can feel you're actually making a difference to the battle.

The game's selling point is also it's downfall. The smaller base captures, the ones where individuals can make a difference in defence/offence are the ones most people enjoy. They're the ones where tactics can also be employed.

M

Manic Miner

Originally posted by Tidus Morgahna
We do have a habbit of often moving to low populated continents if we have a link there and start a series of hacks waiting for the fight to come to us. Most of the fun is seeing if they can work out where well be next

even to move to a continent without links is cool. as a squad, you can run a base to neutral, hack surrounding towers (and hold em) and have an ANT there to hack and refill it in less than 2 or 3 mins. i've done it by myself in 10 mins - although obviously can't hold towers :)

i suggested moving to a quieter continent to our outfit, but it was strongly pointed out that the zerg was good and the XP was important :/

i can zerg by myself tbh, i don't need a squad to do that :( what's your outfit name and link? i may well swap :)

W

Will

In open areas, a squad of 10 working in a line, with an engie, one or two advanced medics, and a good mix of weapons, shouldn't have any problems clearing anything in its path, especially when using voice comms. Op Flash has taught me that, since it forces you to fight that way.

In bases, covering and moving forwards works until you are in a zerg situation, when all tactics become null and void.

P

[PS]Venom

I try and get people to act as a squad, breach in move together, but all the goddamn random plebs that charge in front completely cock things up. You just can't act tactically in a large scale battle. Smaller scales, yes, it works sodding well. In largescale it fails due to non squad/outfit people running around like headless chickens.

W

Will

Exactly. I unfortunately have to deal with random-people squads at the moment, since I don't get much time to play.

M

Milkshake

I play for Sturmgrenadier, and although it's a bit quieter due to the summer and stuff, it's a fucking good outfit.

Site -

www.sghq.com/ps

Official Recruitment Post -

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside/Forum5/HTML/000893.html

I really enjoy the teamwork, and the people. Reason they are newb-less is because they charge $12 per YEAR for rental of the TS server. Puts off the l33t dewds. You get a 45 day trial though, see if you like it.

I dunno, just a suggestion.

G

Gabrial

I couldnt agree more with you guys - the zerg does my nut because thats all it is: Respawn, charge, die, respawn etc.

If you have enough of it - roll up a char on Konreid or somewhere and play a while - I was on there Sunday morning for around 4 hours. We were 1 squad of TR vs 1 Squad of Vanu playing over 1 base and 1 tower!

/edit:

Should say that by morning I mean from around 9:00 am to 13:00 UK time - when Werner was down.

I mostly play on Werner in BFTD - we are fairly tactical I suppose. I draw stuff on the map where I want people to go or set up ambushes/AMS's and we do try leapfrogging when we go in to bases. This does tend to go out of the window then if more squads start to arrive or the zerg rolls in.

V

ViscountC

I think decent comms are the key to tactical play. PS moves too fast for typed commands and reports.

In Flashpoint it wasn't as necessary, as the game was much slower-paced. But we did also run a roger wilco server while we were playing Flashpoint regularly.

Unfortunately not a lot of people use the PS voice chat. I know we have our best sessions when we do.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Hmmm... using a router with a built in firewall that blocks the whole voicecom thingie majigger.

I can open ports... but what ports? Anyone with the same problems?

G

Gabrial

37000 maybe?

I dont use a router so dont know - I realise though that LOTS of people have problems hosting that use router.

To be honest, the voice thingy in planetside is naff anyway - apparently there are lots of better options such as teamspeak or ventrillo (sp?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom