System Volume Info - can i delete it?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
clogging close to 3gb's of my hd space (already hard pushed at it is - yada yada new hd needed - fuck you all yada yada).

Is it safe to delete this folder?

Edit - I assume it is safe since drive c offered it in the 'disk cleanup' options.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I have a feeling that System Volume info is prolly the restore point so you can revert your computer back to a previous time.

Just found this:

What's the deal with the System Volume Information folder?

In the root of every drive is a folder called "System Volume Information". If your drive is NTFS, the permissions on the folder are set so not even administrators can get in there. What's the big secret?

The folder contains information that casual interference could cause problems with proper system functioning. Here are some of the things kept in that folder. (This list is not comprehensive.)

* System Restore points. You can disable System Restore from the "System" control panel.
* Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your shortcuts and linked documents.
* Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches. This is also the source of the cidaemon.exe process: That is the content indexer itself, busy scanning your files and building its database so you can search for them quickly. (If you created a lot of data in a short time, the content indexer service gets all excited trying to index it.)
* Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.
* Longhorn systems keep WinFS databases here.

Do NOT delete it... you can turn off Back Ups and Restore points, so this will reduce the size of it without deleting it. Its in control panel.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Not sure if it looks the same on your computer if you're using XP but if you right click on "My Computer" and go to "System Protection" and untick the box next to the drive.

systeminfolc9.jpg

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah its probably just safer to clean up your old saved checkpoints.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Docwolf said it all pretty much, dont deleting random folders is pretty bad news :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom