Synology DSM 7.0 (Beta)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
DO NOT INSTALL IN PRODUCTION!!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Only thing I'm waiting for at the moment is plex, having a little poke around.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Only thing I'm waiting for at the moment is plex, having a little poke around.
Bit of a tangent but is it just me or is anyone else going off Plex a bit?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Bit of a tangent but is it just me or is anyone else going off Plex a bit?

They did start to stuff additions to the main page which seems more about revenue streams than anything I might benefit from, although I've removed them all.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sonos Libraries also seem to no longer be accessible via Synology now due to the antiquated SMB 1 use by Sonos.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sonos Libraries also seem to no longer be accessible via Synology now due to the antiquated SMB 1 use by Sonos.
I think SMB1 is a security risk now isn't it?

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Not gone off Plex just yet 50+TB of Movies/TV/etc, but some of the changes over the last 6-12 months have been pointless for me and just cause screen clutter, I get a daft number of people 'sharing' out libraries to me which I never take up because my library is what I want to see.

Been bitten a couple of times with DSM updates so I tread carefully around them these days, although I have moved almost all apps off it now, its purely a storage system as the apps that were dying were predominantly apps that under pinned some of the Movie, TV front ends I used. My old Mac Pro transcodes them and sends to my iPad/Apple TV to watch, been using it for a decade and not found anything to match its simplicity. Although, all the junk they keep adding isnt instilling me with confidence.

I've had a fully paid up life memberships for around half of that decade of use so the issue for them is being able to monetize people like me.
Thats why were seeing all this junk get added.

My issue isnt SMB per se its the fact that I had my unit setup for AFP, which OS X is trying to move away from. So I might have to use SMB which I'm sure I will regret.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've had a fully paid up life memberships for around half of that decade of use so the issue for them is being able to monetize people like me.
Thats why were seeing all this junk get added.
No doubt, however I've got no sympathy for Plex in that regard as they still offer a lifetime option. The UI is awful now and I've got a Smart TV on a recent version of WebOS that's now unsupported because it's 1080p instead of 4k. Combine that with the fact that camera sync is no longer reliable and I'm rooting for Jellyfin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom