Swq

K

kinag

I was just wondering, will everyone leave DAoC when SWQ will be released in Europe? cause if that is the thing, i think i will feel kinda lonely when running around in Mid :-(
And can someone tell me if it really is that good? and why would ppl leave DAoC for SWQ....

D

-dewey-

I will be leaving DAoC when SWG is released in the US (I heard you can transfer chars to the euro servers when they open). As to why it's better...

1) It's from the people who made EQ, love it or hate it EQ is a great game
2) Hopefully verant will have learnt from the mistakes they made from EQ
3) Go read the webpage, read about the skills system and read about the game in general.
4) It's Starwars!!!!!!!!!

S

StormriderX

Will most probably contain too many "OMFG I'm s0 l33t s4b4 pwn4ge" kiddies running around for my liking, also looks kinda sucky anyway. Only titles that seem interesting are world of warcraft and shadowbane.

A

agraucred

world of warcraft <drools>

i was tempted by SWG a while ago, but the hype is dieing out, and now that it is im starting to think it looks abit crap really. most people seem to be heading for it cos they think that they are going to be some "uber" jedi, and most will be disapointed. gfx wise it looks good, but thats all it has going for it now in my opinion.

id rather wait for EQII and WoW, and if Mythic bring out a few more addons and bring more content/races/classes to the game ill be happy playing DAoC for a while too.

A

Alrindel

All existing MMORPGs will certainly take a hit when SWG opens... but how much, and for how long remains to be seen. The latest announcement by the SWG devs is that they are going to artificially limit the number of games that will be available to correspond to the number of servers that are up, and then release more copies of the game (and allow more subscriptions) as they get ramped up and bring more servers online. That means that even some people who pre-ordered months ago may not get their game on release day, and the servers that are up could well be clogged and unreliable. Or they could know exactly what they're doing and release exactly the right number, who knows. I don't have a crystal ball and neither does anyone else. I'm pretty confident that in the short term, DAoC probably won't suffer too much: SWG isn't going to be for everyone, and some people will try it, not enjoy it, and come back. In the long term, eventually, the population of DAoC will start to drop as the majority of people move on to other games and new subscribers stop coming in... but that's inevitable in any case in every game, it's just a question of time.

Oh, and as for transferring characters around servers... where did you hear that, dewey, because it sounds like wishful thinking to me. In the dev chat last Thursday they were still saying that announcements about the European release were several weeks away. I'm guessing that they will want to discourage European players from signing up on the US servers, especially as space is going to be limited early on... and there's nothing to say that the European servers will even be run directly by Sony, they might sub it out to a European company.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I'll be giving it a spin. Worth a few quid to try it out - it could be the best MMORPG ever. If it isn't, well I'm not deleting my DAOC account so I can always come back :)

A

Archeon

I'm gonna give SWG a try, but no way in hell i'm even considering being a jedi for a number of reasons.

===================

1. no getting laid, EVER!!!!

2. you have to listen to a pull string doll made from cheap green plastic

3. No shooting people in the back

4. no shooting

5. gotta wear a skirt/skirt like clothing

6. spend all day worrying about the cosmic balance

7. can't use you jedi 'pay my bar tab' trick on everyone

===================

That and every snot nosed little 1337 prick is gonna want to play a Jedi, their going to get pissed when you shoot them in the head and they lose their character (yeah, if you die as a jedi you have to start over till you reach virgin master. Thats if you can open the Jedi character slot, and don't think you can look it up on some moron's web-site its supposed to be different for each person)

I'm gonna be a chef, its an honourable trade. and i get to spend hours on end cooking food (laced with posion, RP PH4RMING!!!... oops ;)) and if sombody trys to pick a fight with me i'l show them just what i can do with a ladel :)

Still, SWG is months away still. SI is less then a fortnight away, so stop drooling over the future and enjoy the moment you crazy bastards :)

P.s - what in gods name is a sun crusher? i've only been on the SWG forum once and got so swamped with crazy bullshit that i've never worked up the guts to look again.

E

Esoteric

I'm not leaving this game while they continue to improve content and update the way they have. I will watch heavily the reviews and listen to current guildies who have money to spend on lots of a/c's. WoW has caught my eye, no hype just think it has the potential to be a cracker.

As I say this game is evloving nicely. Am thinking very seriously about moving from hib excal to mid excal those savages look awesome, my main is on pryd so no biggie.

A

Archeon

So Jedi can get as much sex as they can handle as long as they don't have a relationship?

So thats what they really use that 'pay my bar tab' jedi mind trick for :)

O

old.Raziel

im going to give ShadowBane a try, seem like it could be fun.

then wait for Dragon Empires, World of Warcraft or Horrizons

S

StormriderX

Originally posted by Archeon
So Jedi can get as much sex as they can handle as long as they don't have a relationship?

So thats what they really use that 'pay my bar tab' jedi mind trick for :)

Luke marries Mara in the books after the films ;)

E

Envenom2

been a beta tester in SWG since beta 2 anyone who gets the game wont be disspointed i mean 1st of all theres no boring exp tread mill i mean comon i can say 90% of the daoc population hate lvling.Theres over 700skills etc possibilites are endless really 9 planets to explore i mean you wont be getting bored anytime soon.

Sure im getting swg when its released in europe (hate US players) and i hate the fact u have to play at silly times in the morning and night to be able to talk to ppl.

Also to those ppl who think they gonna be transfering chars to other servers u can forget it,it wont happen period.

and to the shadowbane wannabes whats that? a game thats been in a beta for longer then ive been alive a game where the gfx look worse then my mega drive II shadowbane will be a flop sorry simple facts and from the words ive heard from beta testers it sounds boring.

il still keep my daoc account open thou i want rr10 before i even think about quiting

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by stormriderx

Marriage leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...

Originally posted by Archeon

So thats what they really use that 'pay my bar tab' jedi mind trick for

rofl :)

E

Esoteric

Evenom 2

How can you gain skills with no levelling system. Are you all the equiv of yellow con to each other all the time? You just happen to learn new skills every now and then?

These are pure questions not trying to be sarcy. Its nice to know a swg beta tester.

M

Madonion Slicer

Will give SWG the free month trial it deserves but can not see it taking me away from DAoC.

E

Envenom2

well if u played Uo u know what a skill system is basicly to put it simple if ur a Creature Handler in SWG you gain skills by trying to tame other creatures obviously as you get higher u get to control better monsters etc and maybe even ride the legendary rancors.

i remember when we 1st did creature handling tests it was damn good fun riding around on things :)

A

Archeon

Who?

And what is a sun crusher? with a name like sun crusher its got to be interesting, i want one!!!

O

old.Krusha

Will most probably contain too many "OMFG I'm s0 l33t s4b4 pwn4ge" kiddies running around for my liking, also looks kinda sucky anyway. Only titles that seem interesting are world of warcraft and shadowbane.

well is "OMFG I'm s0 l33t s4b4 pwn4ge" better than "OMFG I'm s0 l33t 3m41n pwn4ge"

no .. didnt think so ;).

i think the first month of retail (during the free trial period) alot of crap ppl will be everywhere, ruining any kind of feel of the game there is, but when the trial is over, things will settle down ....

But like so many im keeping my daoc account active ...

WoW= even more l33t kids than you can shake an orc axe at.

ShadowBane= im amazed the publisher lets them keep going.

Dragon Empires= looks interesting, will test it.

EVE online= in the beta, its nice :)

A

Alrindel

Originally posted by Esoteric
How can you gain skills with no levelling system. Are you all the equiv of yellow con to each other all the time? You just happen to learn new skills every now and then?
SWG's skill-based system is more complex and flexible than the classic D&D-style experience/point system. You begin in one of six starting professions and you have so many skill points to spend - but you can't spend them on anything until you have mastered certain prerequisites to train and advance up the skill tree. If you want to train advanced healing, you have to go out and heal people until you have mastered basic healing, and then new possibilities on the healing skill tree will open up. The flexibility lies in being able to build hybrid characters with specializations in more than one area, and to change your mind later and "untrain" skills to recover the points to spend elsewhere... but mastering your skills and unlocking new ones is still a level grind, just a level grind of a different flavour than the one you know and love in DAoC.

You can't con other players, as far as I know, unless the devs have changed their mind again.

E

Envenom2

whole point thou its not as boring as the lvl grind its more fun u dont need a freaking group to get anywhere in the game u can basicly do it all on ur own which is how i like it. The one thing that really pisses me off about daoc is the fact u need a group to be able to get any good exp its feking anoying waiting around 1 hour or so.

A

Alrindel

k. Blasting jawas for ten hours straight trying to unlock Mastery of Blasting is just intrinsically more fun and not at in any way a grind than nuking goblins for ten hours straight trying to get two bubbles and level up. Because, uh, Star Wars, droids, light sabres, wookies, jedi, ewoks. Whatever you need.

O

old.Krusha

at the end of the day, some will like it some wont, no matter what people say ;). And it doesnt make anyone any less for thinking one or the other .. so stop it with the "omg my next mmorpg of choice will pwnzor yours" threads :)

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by old.Krusha
so stop it with the "omg my next mmorpg of choice will pwnzor yours" threads :)

look around you, what're the odds at that? :p

besides that, I'm really looking forward to Dragon Empire and World of Warcraft. tho I'll probably give SW:G a spin as well. if only to see if I'm right about all the Jedi/Boba Fett wannabees :)

L

-Lonewolf-

Originally posted by old.Krusha
at the end of the day, some will like it some wont, no matter what people say ;). And it doesnt make anyone any less for thinking one or the other .. so stop it with the "omg my next mmorpg of choice will pwnzor yours" threads :)

Think you put it perfectly mate

B

BrassMonkey

And what is a sun crusher? with a name like sun crusher its got to be interesting, i want one!!!

Suncrusher was a super weapon developed by the same facility (in the books) that designed the Death Star (i say in the books cus if you've seen episode 2 film you'll see the problem). It was quite literally indestructable and can fly straight through a Star destroyer bridge and not get scratched. It also had special missiles that would cause a Star to go Super nova wiping out that entire Solar system.

However, after it was used in the books by a Jedi called Kyp Durron it was sent into the heart of a sun to 'hopefully' never be retrieved.

Oh and Kyp also erased the mind of the technician/scientist who designed it so she could never make another one :)

/em Goes to get out more

A

Archeon

Originally posted by -Warhawk-
Suncrusher was a super weapon

Good...

It was quite literally indestructable and can fly straight through a Star destroyer bridge and not get scratched.

...Very important, can't have my flames on black paint job ruining. could also be useful for saving the day in heroic fashion...

It also had special missiles that would cause a Star to go Super nova wiping out that entire Solar system.

Ho-Ray! lets see the mafia try to strong arm me now!

Oh and Kyp also erased the mind of the technician/scientist who designed it so she could never make another one :)

No worrys im gonna be a chef, i'l just whip out the old oven mits. who wants me to blow up their sun?

Out of interest why would i understand if i've seen ep 2? i have seen it but i don't get what your talking about

O

old.Mick

if the lvling system is as you say then i cant wait, love the uo style of gaining skills

ie had a gm swordsman started enjoying magery and turned him into a gm mage after a few months, never need to reroll no wasting of time if u gimp urself etc

O

old.Krusha

Originally in old.Mick's signature
Meka Murphy
"I'm no racist, I just plain dont like Elves!"

Celtic Fist

not a racist but a speciesist ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom