Switch

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
ok i got a prob with my switch.....

it works fine for a 15 min or so and then all connection is lost and i dunno why.

I allso have a hub but that only suborts 10mbit connection but id like to have 100mbit from my switch.

the hub is new but i donnu how old the switch is but i know its old.

its vey hot after 10 min, mybe its the heat that dosent let it work...

Btw whats better: HUB or a Switch. if hub is better then ill just throw away the switch.

sry for my english, couse im in a hurry and my mother language is not englis.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Kaun_IA said:
ok i got a prob with my switch.....

it works fine for a 15 min or so and then all connection is lost and i dunno why.

I allso have a hub but that only suborts 10mbit connection but id like to have 100mbit from my switch.

the hub is new but i donnu how old the switch is but i know its old.

its vey hot after 10 min, mybe its the heat that dosent let it work...

Btw whats better: HUB or a Switch. if hub is better then ill just throw away the switch.

sry for my english, couse im in a hurry and my mother language is not englis.

Basically a Hub will broadcast all data to all computers connected to it, where as a switch will pass data to its intended target only.

So with a switch u will get less network traffick (and errors resulting from that excess traffcik) and its more secure because the data (that goes to all computers cannot be "sniffed" (because it won't go to all computers)

The only argument for buying a standard hub is cost but these days thats so minimal its not even worth considering, so IMO buy yourself a new 10/100 switch (or rather switching hub, cos thats what your talking about)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with Litmus, buy yourself a router

The only downside is that most off the shelf routers will most likely only have a 4 port switch, so it may not be enough and 8,12,16,24 ports will cost lots more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom