Question Switch issue

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Fucksticks. I can't work out what's going on with some of my connections. I recently moved my NAS upstairs and connected it via ethernet to a switch and then on to my main PC. At the other end the switch connects direct into the wall and out to the internet (I have FTH so don't need a modem/router; there are ethernet sockets in every room). All very straight forward. Except its not fucking working. The cable from the NAS to the switch is fine (number 5 on the picture below). But the connections from the PC to the switch and the switch to the wall won't work. If I unplug the PC to switch cable and plug into the wall - works fine. If I unplug the wall to switch cable and plug it into the PC, works fine. But in the switch? Not working. I've checked the individual sockets on the switch with the NAS cable; they all give me a green light. So what the fuck am I doing wrong?

IMG00001-20130220-0759.jpg

Syri

FH is my second home
If you have ethernet ports in each room, there should be some sort of switch system in place already to "share" the service to all of the ports. If you're connecting a switch to a switch, you need to use a crossover connection, either using an uplink port on your netgear switch (if it has one) and making sure it is set to uplink mode if it can be switched over and isn't automatic. If it doesn't have an uplink port, you'll need a crossover cable to go from the switch to the wall.
I'm not 100% certain on this as I'm not familiar with that kind of setup, but it seems to me the most likely cause. The cables used to connect directly to a switch or socket would be a patch cable, which won't work for connecting two switches to each other.
I hope this is some help.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
but still pcs to the nas shoulda been ok. might be easier to add 2nd nic to the pc then go from pc to the switch instead of pluging it into the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom