SWG Will I be Pleased?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
After reading an article regarding SWG I was very dissapointed. Anyway some of you may have seen my post in the old General forum on what I should get from santa.

Anyway I ahve opted for SWG, so will I be pleased? Also will I have to DL loads of patches?

Anul

Fledgling Freddie
What i have heard of it is that u get tired of it quickly and that thier isnt much to do etc but i have myself not played it so i cant say for sure :)

fatgit

Loyal Freddie
I've been playing since April, and I still love it.

Yes, it's still buggy, but theres still a lot of the game I haven't done or seen :)
You really need to play with other people you know, or you may find it hard to get into it,

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
SWG can be a lot of fun if you get to know people and if you feel like exploring.
There's a lot to see in SWG and a lot of travelling to be done if you want to fully enjoy the game.

Another thing that helps is to get into a good guild that wants to participate in the Galactic struggle between the empire and the rebels.
Joining some raids against the rebels/imps is always a lot of fun and can be considered the "end-game" in SWG.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I'm enjoying it. Like most MMORPGs it's pretty personal whether you like it or not. It has bugs, so you have to be prepared to put up with that, but that's the norm with most MMORPGs.

Some people try it and like it, some will return to where they came from.

My advice is to give it a go and to try to have fun with whatever you're doing. Try out all the basic professions and see what you enjoy and don't get too bogged down with setting too many goals. SWG is a sand box of a game (especially on Tatooine ;)) and you get out of it what you put in.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the advice doods :) So where is the best place to meet up with people?

I heard that DAoC has 2 Euro servers how many Euro Servers does SWG have? Does anyone have a list of where the best ones are? Thanks :)

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
SWG currently has three servers based in Europe: Chimaera (the most populated), FarStar (same age as Chimaera, but slightly lower pop) and Infinity (only a couple of weeks old). You can also play on the US servers (all at the same patch level) with popular choices being Eclipse (the unofficial Euro server before the Euro release) and Starsider (the unofficial Roleplaying server).

For starting out and meeting people then the busiest places seem to be Anchorhead (Rebel city on Tatooine), Bestine (Imp city on Tatooine), Mos Eisley, and Coronet City on Corellia. Tatooine and Corellia are the most populous planets, though there are quite a few on Naboo (including me!).

Ebonn

Loyal Freddie
The game has recieved a lot of bad press, most of it is unwarrented.

Ive been playing since release and i still think its a good game, the only gripe i have with it is its quite an easy game, once you master some professions, explored the planets done all the quests etc.. it dosnt leave much to do unless you like crafting/tradeing, PvP needs incentives and aims/goals of PvPing in numbers.

Filenotfound

Fledgling Freddie
i woudl prolly play it if i heard the pvp side was good but sadly all i have heard is very negitive feedback from ppl on this part ..

exploreing the planets soudns good but not enough to warrent buyin it for me ;/

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
The best PvP game is still DAoC, shame it takes 2 years and 2 accounts to be any good :p

I'm loving SWG, have to say. I needed much more roleplaying content after DAoC and Planetside. I seem to spend way too much time in Cantina's chatting to people (or interior decorating ffs!) though, maybe I need to go out and kill me some rebels?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the help :)

I seem to be having some difficulty at the moment connecting to the Login server. I have had it running for quite some time now and still nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers :)

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
Most servers went offline today and it takes a while before you can get back in.

Just have some patience, get drunk and try again :)

Darkov

Fledgling Freddie
Well, battlegrounds are down for I guess a good three months whilst they revise the PvP. I think thats probably the best thing about SWG so far, SOE are willing to rip out an entire system and start all over again in an effort to get it right, not many mmorpg developers would do that.

I like it, it's got a lot more atmosphere than any other mmorpg since EQ came out, or UO before that. You really feel part of something, the lack of levels is sweet too, grouping up with anyone is a nice touch.

My only problem at the moment is, I started a new toon on Infinity thinking overcrowding would be like previous mmorpgs.. but hell, I've seen maybe like 20 ppl in one town tops so far, it's really quiet.. could just be cause it's xmas and all.. hope so, soloing is dull.

rynnor

Rockhound
I think they will probably end up with a pretty good and well balanced pvp system - something that I gave up on hoping for in DAOC some time ago - SWG actually does get better over time - which is a first in my experience of everquest/daoc/ultima etc.etc.

Kudos Sony :)

And it even has decent customer support - I can only hope that everquest 2 comes out as well as SWG.

Moon

Fledgling Freddie
One of the main things I like about swg is there's always something else to do if you get bored of one thing, always another planet to try if you get sick of the scenery and always some where to hide if adz keeps telling you he's going to own you for joining the wrong faction lol :p

Marc

FH is my second home
I dont think anyone can u give you an answer to your question. I myself, love SwG but i know people who dont. I guess it depends on the individual. One thing I have noticed though, is that the peeps seem to be a lot friendlier, and all the "leet kiddies" that were expected to leave DAoC for SwG havent as far as I can see. It is a really friendly environment.

'Stc

Fledgling Freddie
I'm just patching and waiting to log in now and reading through the book I have this really strange urge to become a chef!

Silly question, but how do I kill stuffs and earn xp if I'm making foods, etc? Do I have to kill? I know there's entertainers who heal by dancing or something, so does the chef thing work in the same way? Hahah I have this funny vision of me running about throwing cakes at huge enemy droids!

Anyways, 6 minutes to go and I guess I'll see for myself, but any newbie advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
You will soon learn dood.

One thing, dont be afraid to ask anyone any question. 99.9% of the time I have asked they have given me a helping hand :)

Kinag

Part of the furniture
If you want unarmed xp, find some mobs that you can handle, and don't equip a weapon and start killing.
One tip I can give you, which have helped me alot (on the side of spamming Asunder/Nightchill :p) is that you should read the manual, I did and learned alot.
I found the start quite easy to skill up solo, due to the fast xp I got but more fun to group, no doubt about it.
Oh and visit some of the POI in game, I had lots of fun visiting famous places from the SW saga :)

Good luck mate.

'Stc

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all your tips. I've spent a few hours running around and mainly getting used to the controls. I stumbled across a few errands (I think) where I had to go fetch things for NPC's and got a bit of cash so bought a lovely yellow dress!

I learnt how to summon a pet thing to ride, altho he didn't seem much faster than running to places, but he looks pretty cool all the same :)

Not actually killed anything yet, but stood around and danced a lot! I'll try and make some friends tomorrow night I think :)

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Go to chimaera, I can be your friend :p

(no rude messages or I kill you)

'Stc

Fledgling Freddie
I did join Chimaera, as I have an old friend from (yes yes I know :rolleyes: ) DAoC there, and I also heard it was the most populated server.

Damn, forgot to bring the manual to work to read when I'm bored, can anyone give me a good website link for info?

[edit] Doh, just saw the Player Advice sticky so forget that last bit!

Cyviel

Fledgling Freddie
ive played a LOT of MMORPG's and this is by far the worst...

1. Player run economy.... oh sorry nobody will buy the stuff you just looted off that corpse...looks like you cant make money unless other people buy stuff you make... seriously flawed for the new player...you need to run missions to make any money in this game if you dont want to be a crafter.

2. Bugs.....did i mention bugs? shit this is THE buggiest Release of a game ever, they rushed this thru beta so damn quick half the reports i sent during beta are still not fixed now.

3. Levelling/XP.... hmm tbh its a bit crap for this imho... great so if you go prone you can knock most mobs to death before they even reach you with a rifle..the AI in this game is shocking..thats if they even have any..

4. Updates... hehe good job i got a VERY fast connection.. too many..but then thats what you get when you put out a piss poor game.

5.This game had soo much potential..but really its nothing more than an intentional License rip off and the lower and lower player base each month is showing that..if you bought it...take it back...if you got it as a present NEVER speak to that person again...

If however you want some FUN (omfg yes....fun!!) in a MMORPG may i suggest one of the following:

Dark Age Of Camelot
Ultima X (pre-beta)
Final Fantasy XI online (awesome game!)
Ultima Online (old but still fun)
World Of Warcraft (this will be FULL i can assure you when it goes live!!)

these are just the ones off the top of my head, SWG is really not worth the time it takes to load the game in the first place.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
oh well don't play it then, I'm sure you'll be really missed :p
Your opinions of this game are pretty wrong, it's fun, lots of people are playing it and enjoying it, the market is fine and second only to the player crafted and run market in Horizons. I guess you just weren't very good at it.

DAoC is less fun than poking sharp sticks into your eyes.
FFXI is a kids game so no thanks.
UO I still have a soft spot as I played it for a long time before moving to DAoC, yes it's good but I don't think I could go back.

WoW does look nice, I'll definitely give it a look.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
If I had a £ for everytime someone mentioned world of warcraft with a "This is so gonna rock" comments I would be a millionaire by now.

How many people looked at Eve and said that? or SWG? I realise that you don't like swg and fair comment - I think that there are better games out there too, but this blind assumption that WOW will be better is a little foolish imo.

Blizzard have never produced a balanced multiplayer version of ANY of their games and the cheats available in Diablo and D2 are pretty poor - this is even with them setting up their own secure server network for you to play on - not good imo.

They have no experience with rpg games and no experience with MMO's so I whilst I want WOW to be cool - I suspect that it won't be. I would like to see Bioware entering the mmo market as I think that they do have the RPG and Online game experience to at least have a good chance of making a good mmo

Rev

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
GOD DAMN YOUR BIOWARE POST!

I was just about to log into SWG and I've GOT to go load Neverwinter Nights now.

You Beast!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom