SWG - what a rip off

D

darbey

Hate to disappoint anyone who is waiting for SWG beta invite however i got mine this morning so i went to web site to do the necessary , and almost had a coronary as in order to take part i have to order the beta cd which costs $31 ($5.95 for the disc and $24 delivey via UPS) and it can take between 4 and 6 weeks to arrive. They are having a laugh , $31 for a beta cd , daylight robbery. Not wlling to pay that for an unfinished game.

T

Tilda

so how did you invisage getting the beta? just download a game that comes on 4 + CD's ?
and dont say they could pay for it, with 10,000 in beta + thats a lot of shipping costs, tbh id rather pay the price and have them spend their money on making the game better.

Tilda

D

darbey

I thought they would be a series of downloads maybe broken into smaller ones. First game ive evr had to pay for getting into beta and in all honesty id rahter wait for the finished product now

J

Jonaldo

Sounds like yet another person who just wants to play a free game, not actually beta test anything.

O

old.Alliandre

How long's this beta cd going to last? All of 3 months at the most? Any subscription charges for the beta to?

A

Armolas

Tilda, if you are outside the Us you have to download it anyway (it's only 1 CD btw).

You pay your 37$ to get the key emailed to you so you can download it - the CDs take 4 to 6 weeks to deliver.

D

darbey

Originally posted by Omniscieous
Sounds like yet another person who just wants to play a free game, not actually beta test anything.

Actually smart ass i dont have the time to play any more than 1 game. I just begrudge paying that much money that i can little afford. Im quite happy playing DAOC apart from the fact i cant get on with this NTL problem so dont start making assumptions on a person u dont know.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by darbey
Actually smart ass i dont have the time to play any more than 1 game. I just begrudge paying that much money that i can little afford. Im quite happy playing DAOC apart from the fact i cant get on with this NTL problem so dont start making assumptions on a person u dont know.

Don't assume I'm a smart ass then

A

Addlcove

but you are :p

oh sorry it´s saturday I´m supposed to be nice.

O

old.Glendower

Wow, this isn't surprising coming from those fukkheads at Verant.

I pity anyone who gets suckered into one of their projects.

For comparison, EVE's (free) beta download is broken into 5 files and they also have all the patch files available for download to do manual installs (good thing since it is buggy as hell, but hey, is beta).

E

envenom

ive been a SWG beta tester since beta 2 and i can tell you now if you got a beta invite take it its the best MMORPG ive played you want content? you got it. what pvp ? u got it.want endless amount of skills to train? you got it.

ive stopped playing it now thou as being in beta 2 i was more interested in the development of the game so ive stopped playing in open beta as i dont wanna spoil the game too much for myself ^^

O

old.LandShark

Are you saying people should be paying Sony (Sony, of all people!) to test their product?

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Armolas
Tilda, if you are outside the Us you have to download it anyway (it's only 1 CD btw).

You pay your 37$ to get the key emailed to you so you can download it - the CDs take 4 to 6 weeks to deliver.

aawww, fucking weak dude!

Its fucking Sony, dont tell me their strapped for cash.

SWG hits open-beta some time in may according to my informant ;)

D

darbey

Still gonna need the disk open beta or not im afraid.

S

SilverHood

open beta in SWG case just means that the NDA is dropped.. not that the game is available to everyone... still need a key. Holocron said this himself :p

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

One CD, four CD's... a 1mb pipe is easily affordable nowadays. So 37$ just for a beta test... beta test - you help the devs to find bugs, tweak gameplay etc. And paying for it? LOL-fucking-MAO?

I am cured of the Star Wars bug since the last movie anyway..

J

Jonaldo

To be honest, let's look at it from a business sense and their perspective... how many Star Wars geeks would be glad to pay to be a wookie or whatever a few months before everyone else? Lots. Sony and whoever is making the game know full well they can get a lot of paying (idiotic) customers that would probably orgasm the second they are told they can beta for less than $500.

F

fatgit

Originally posted by Tilda
so how did you invisage getting the beta? just download a game that comes on 4 + CD's ?
and dont say they could pay for it, with 10,000 in beta + thats a lot of shipping costs, tbh id rather pay the price and have them spend their money on making the game better.

Tilda

Planetside beta is 2.6gig and comes via download if outside the US - same company as SWG and has 60,000 beta testers, about half were sent CDs, the rest download it

N

-Nxs-

Still gonna need the disk open beta or not im afraid.

In the emails i recieved there were instructions for how to download the game using their patcher. Still, its going to take a fair time here to download the whole thing.

T

Tiwaz

Originally posted by fatgit
Planetside beta is 2.6gig and comes via download if outside the US - same company as SWG and has 60,000 beta testers, about half were sent CDs, the rest download it

Which just goes to show that this is most likely very very true :rolleyes:

To be honest, let's look at it from a business sense and their perspective... how many Star Wars geeks would be glad to pay to be a wookie or whatever a few months before everyone else? Lots. Sony and whoever is making the game know full well they can get a lot of paying (idiotic) customers that would probably orgasm the second they are told they can beta for less than $500.

Actually quite sad....

N

Norb

Interesting discussion. Interesting thoughts. Interesting arguments.
Are opinions split between those that have been accepted as beta testers and those who have not?
Just a thought ;)

T

Tank Init

i have to order the beta cd which costs $31 ($5.95 for the disc and $24 delivey via UPS) and it can take between 4 and 6 weeks to arrive. They are having a laugh

what century are these people living in, is someone going to physicaly run the disk to your house 4-6 weeks lol and whats this $24 for delivery for 1 cd muhahahahhaah i think someone is getting ripped off big time if they pay that.

also i think the games going to be shit as well :)

D

Damini

I'm never ever accepted for beta testing, I think I audition badly :) Having said that, I don't think its fair to charge people to beta test a game (would you then also have to buy the official game too? I hope not). If you are beta testing you are doing them a massive favour of accumalative game play hours clocked testing the engine, the logic of the game, any errors and over all playability. It should be thank you very much and a box of cadburys roses, not kerchiiing!! $$!!

If the game is too large to allow people to test it in its entirity without the cds, maybe they should break it down into different zones and let people beta each zone and then they can chose how many zones they download depending on their bandwidth? I dont know, I'm just grasping at straws, but it seems unreasonable to charge that much to test a game for their benefit.

A

Arnor

I feel you damini, I never get chosen for beta-testing :(
Think im too nervous on the auditions :p

You'd atleast expect that the beta-testers got a free full-version or a swg poster or a swg-plastic-jedi with sword-swinging action.

But alas, it seems that Sony is all about da $$ which is pathetic imo. Atleast they arent total noobs to mmorpgs like Mythic is/was.

Still gonna try it (most likely) but its a huge drawback for me to have a mmorpg run by a company that is satisfied as long as the $ keeps rolling in.

But well, you got some clues a while ago when they launched Everquest super-ultra-plus edition (or something) that had everything they promised normal EQ would have, at only 4 times the monthly cost :puke:

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Arnor2
Still gonna try it (most likely) but its a huge drawback for me to have a mmorpg run by a company that is satisfied as long as the $ keeps rolling in.

Which dimension do you hail from?

H

Halo | NS

Look guys, chill.

The head of Sony is Chinese or Japanese or whatever. Sooner or later he and his family will die of SARS.

It's all about the karma dudes.

S

Spinky

I think where i went wrong about applying for the beta in SWG was the "Why should we choose you" question, my answer was "Because i rock".

don't think it washed over with the devs somehow, bugger :eek:

M

Meatballs

Do you think they read 100,000 applicants reasons? Maybe for the first coupla beta stages they screen them ><

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom