SWG, is it worth playing?

T

Tilda

Ok, DAoC is getting boring.
I was in the SWG beta and didnt think it was that special then.
Is it much better now?
Is there an unofficial EU server befor the EU release?
Will people in the UK who buy imported copies be able to play on the new EU server when it comes?
What is PvP like now?

Is it worth me spending my hard earned cash over?

Thanks
Tilda

D

Darkov

Is it much better now?

Not really, they still have a ton of stuff to add.

Yes, but don't buy import.

Will people in the UK who buy imported copies be able to play on the new EU server when it comes?

No. Think DAoC.

What is PvP like now?

Less exciting than DAoC if you can't get into the whole Rebel vs Imperials thing, otherwise it's quite amusing.

Not until it comes out in Europe, instead of this glorified paid beta the Americans have atm.

E

edoa

Re: Re: SWG, is it worth playing?

Originally posted by Darkov
Is it much better now?

Not really, they still have a ton of stuff to add.

Yes, but don't buy import.

No. Think DAoC.

What is PvP like now?

Less exciting than DAoC if you can't get into the whole Rebel vs Imperials thing, otherwise it's quite amusing.

Not until it comes out in Europe, instead of this glorified paid beta the Americans have atm.

Well but then you havent tought about the fact that there might be a company similar to GOA that will run the EU release... SCARY !!!

Hehehe and EU could have to wait for patches also... Ive heard it will be possible to play on EU with an import.

O

old.Katie

Its been said that YES the US copy will run on the soon-to-be Europe servers.

D

Darkov

Strange setup they have, SOE run the US side and Activision run the EU side. Still not worth playing till they add the thousand and one things they keep harping on about.

E

Ebonn

Originally posted by Tilda
Is it much better now?
What is PvP like now?

Dont know i wasnt in beta.

Yes, Eclipse.

No idea.

Fun.

Yes.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Definitely worth buying.

SW:G is worlds better than DAoC - just take the crafting part for example. It's actually fun now.

S

Shinlu

I bought the game for about a week ago and I must say i find it more amusing then DAoC ever was.
But as any game, there will aways be people who like and dislike the game.

I prefer skill-based mmorpgs then lvl-based, it gives you alot more freedom.

Havent tried the pvp yet, but if you'r in a nice guild I think it will be tons of fun.

Yust buy it and try it.

M

moona

playing for 2 months know and i didn't even think about DAOC 1 sec :)

O

old.FIN

SWG is so different compared to DAOC

and its fun

and they r patching it all the time, and the time what i been playing changes have been good

characters skills r starting to work, planets r different and awesome looking, graphics r just stunning whne u got good grpx card, pvp fights r good and they last long enough, and there aint actually owerpowered peeps, maybe 1 dude with 2 at st, but thats different story =)

only 3 boxes left from master rifleman, then i get my crafting going with another account. need uber amount of cash to buy something nice when it comes =)

next i think im looking some reb guild, with nice peeps and active pvp me thinks.

have good friends in imps and they r giving nice fights atm, even though i still kill them, they laugh about it and im telling them different styles to beat me , lol

T

tris-

everyone says there is still loads of stuff to add etc, how is it compared to all the stuff they were meant to add in eve? does it mean you can only do 1 thing all the time you play or does this stuff that hasnt been added really effect the variety of what you can do?

T

Tilda

I was thinking, the three things that bugged me i beta were these:

The huge lag around cities and near large ammounts of water

The lonleyness of it all, admitidley(sp) i had no guild but it felt deserted

Have either of these been fixed since release?

Tilda

O

old.FIN

no lag here, what so ever

runing water detail 100%, range 100%, and some others on 50%

been looking peeps who talk here and play on same server.

been chatting with misti loads, asking info etc etc

and made some m8's when healing at med center.

dont do random groups, got my own material producers at start, bought all kind of stuff from them, helped peeps when they asked something.

im still guildless, but still have nice community with peeps who i chat, and almost rdy with my character, so imps been also bitching enough and its fun , lol , ignore list growing day by day

i think next step will be like grouping with 50 dudes who rape 1 big city and get raped after that =)

still few bugs but nothing major on my side.

and they fixing them with speed whats been like 500% faster than daoc

T

Tilda

What computer are you running to get 0 lag when you go near big cities?

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

No lag here either... but I run a PIV 2.66, 1 gig Kingston/333 RAM, Radeon 9800 pro... 1 mbit line.

Full details. No lag, senor. :p

O

old.FIN

i got 2 gig xp, 1.5 gig ram 333, v9900 td 5800 fx gf4 128 mb ddr

E

Ebonn

Originally posted by Tilda

Have either of these been fixed since release?

Im not running on a very powerful computer, but with the settings down low i hardly get any lag,

I decided a few weeks into the game that i wanted to join a guild, although i highly prize the fact that it is possible to solo and do things on your own which was impossible in DAoC, but i also talk a lot and enjoy the whole guild atmosphere, i joined Pheonix Legion ( yes an alb guild :eek7: , but from Pry thankfully :p ) and have no regrets.

I cant speak for other servers but Eclipse is _never_ empty, since so many people from so many time zones play on it, and its one of the most populated servers there are always plenty of people and plenty of things going on 24/7.

F

Fafnir

Just a piece of advice. Dont go train rifle until they fixed the mob/your char warp crap. Its really annoying when you go prone and open fire and have the mob jumping on your back with in 1 sec when he was first 64 meters away. :D

Or even better you fire on a mob he dont see you cause you use maskscent (scout skill) but his 6 red con friends sees you and warps to you and starts jumping on your back 1 sec after your first shot. :)

So only go for mobs that dont baf ;)

T

Tilda

Im currently planning on going pistol.
I can then choose between smuggler, or carry on to BH and commando :)

O

old.FIN

Just a piece of advice. Dont go train rifle until they fixed the mob/your char warp crap. Its really annoying when you go prone and open fire and have the mob jumping on your back with in 1 sec when he was first 64 meters away.

by experience, u know when its gonna warp and when it aint, and with buffs on, they can warp what they wanna, and u can do so little with solo, XP i mean, so i dont c any probs with warpijng mobs. i managed to kill them fine..

D

Durzel

Showing my inexperience here, but what does "BAF" mean in a MMORPG context?

Brings All Friends?

D

Darkov

Close, bring a friend. Just a mob that is connected to other mobs, so when you hit one all those connected will come. If it's smart, then a number will come that is proportional to the power of your group, but usually they send too much when you solo.

E

Ekydus

Tilda, you have asked this multiple times and you are not satisfied with the answer. It is obvious you want the game and you are going to get it anyway. Just get the game!

R

--Random--

Definatly worth playing.

I've recently started, bought an american import version on play.com. and tbh i've never enjoyed a game as much as this, and i've played alot.. daoc, eq, uo, eve, e&b etc. People that say this game is boring etc are.. well i dont understand them tbh, i seriously dont. One of the major complaints from people is usually the amount of bugs going on, but to be honest i havnt yet come across one, well not one that i've noticed anyway.. apart from some little graphic bugs like mobs floating now and again, but who cares.

It beats daoc hands down every time, just the sheer depth of charecter advancment, theres so much to do. the combat system is unbeleivable and the graphics actually physically hurt they're so good.

D

Darkov

The character graphics are amazing, but compare the world to something like Dragon Empires or World of Warcraft and it's terribly bland.

SWG is just not what the loud people want. There are many people out there who got a taste of PvP in previous MMORPGs and are feeling a bit neglected since Shadowbane screwed up, so I expect most of those condemning SWG are PvPers. And SWG definitely isn't a good PvP game :)

Still, it's average as far as I'm concerned, but then most mmorpgs are, when it comes out in Europe, then I will play it again, but I ain't paying for an import.

R

--Random--

Originally posted by Darkov
The character graphics are amazing, but compare the world to something like Dragon Empires or World of Warcraft and it's terribly bland.

SWG is just not what the loud people want. There are many people out there who got a taste of PvP in previous MMORPGs and are feeling a bit neglected since Shadowbane screwed up, so I expect most of those condemning SWG are PvPers. And SWG definitely isn't a good PvP game :)

Still, it's average as far as I'm concerned, but then most mmorpgs are, when it comes out in Europe, then I will play it again, but I ain't paying for an import.

TBH i dont think theres anything special about WoW, looks... well just like any other mmorpg i've played. The world graphics of SWG are one of the best features!! i've only been on 2 of the planets so far, and i'm astounded by the level of detail. And from what i've heard, each world is 'very' different.

PvP is supposed to be good also, rebels v imperials is supposed to be a blast.. i havnt tried yet, as im still rubbish, but i will do..

O

old.Biffsmash

DAOC was about the best experience I have ever had in gaming at least for the first six months.

SWG I believe will be like the above for people who enjoy the whole Star Wars thing.

Just wanna say to all the peeps leeaving daoc and slagging it off, I don't believe you would of said that in the first few months of daoc, and if daoc was that bad, you wouldn't all of been playing it for so long and only just leaving!

p.s. sorry to post in SWG forum about daoc but was browsing as initially I was interested in SWG, and thought I should defend DAOC as I feel its getting far too much stick :(

On a positive note, would like to /wave to all who played in daoc and hope you enjoy SWG :)

peace :)

R

--Random--

Originally posted by old.Biffsmash
DAOC was about the best experience I have ever had in gaming at least for the first six months.

SWG I believe will be like the above for people who enjoy the whole Star Wars thing.

Just wanna say to all the peeps leeaving daoc and slagging it off, I don't believe you would of said that in the first few months of daoc, and if daoc was that bad, you wouldn't all of been playing it for so long and only just leaving!

p.s. sorry to post in SWG forum about daoc but was browsing as initially I was interested in SWG, and thought I should defend DAOC as I feel its getting far too much stick :(

On a positive note, would like to /wave to all who played in daoc and hope you enjoy SWG :)

peace :)

6 months is very short term in mmorpg terms. i played UO for 4 years, and EQ for 2... 6 months is a tiny amount of time. a GOOD mmorpg will keep you utterly addicted for much longer :p

Users who are viewing this thread