Sushi resteraunts

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Im looking at taking Mrs Wil out for a decent meal, she wants Sushi.

Anyone in the Leeds, York, Sheffield kinda area know of the best one to go to?

Ive yelled and got a few in Leeds, but they might be shite.......

Help meh....

xane

Fledgling Freddie
If you are talking about those ones with the little conveyor belts, be warned, they can work out very expensive.

Will

/bin/su
My local is very good, but its a bit far north for you.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Fujiyamas, In Newcastle was good, more a teppanyaki (sp?) where they do the cooking at the table and whirl very sharp knives about :) but they did a sushi selection as a kind of starter.
Not sure where it is situated now they moved it since I last went in, closer to Stowell Street I believe, but as Will said it may be too far North though not as far as him.

Later

Gengee

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Wish I could help you, I know loads in London, but a bit far from you. I prefer sashimi (hunks of fish) to sushi (bits of fish on rice with seaweed/etc.).

An overview of signs to avoid the place:
Conveyor belts, you don't know how long they've been out, plus the pricing can be complex, and as xane said you can soon spend too much money!
Pre-packaged look, you don't know how old they are
No Sushi chef you can see, you don't know how well prepared they are

Good signs:
Sushi bar, where you can eat and talk to the chef
Selection of fresh bits of fish on display at the sushi bar
Japanese staff, particularly the sushi chef
Not part of a big chain (i.e. yo sushi)
Doesn't just do sushi/sashimi (also does teriyaki, yaki-soba etc.)
Set meals that are good value and give a selection of dishes

Raw fish is great, it just needs to be very fresh, well prepared, and should almost be prepared to order (2 hours sitting around max for sushi). It's just that if it's not done properly you can get food poisoning or worse as eating raw meat/fish can be dangerous (some nasty parasites live in some fish, and most of the sushi chef training is about spotting and preventing these things).

My favourite in London is ten ten tei, they do a set menu for £20 that has miso soup, teriyaki chicken, rice, tuna & samon sashimi, deep fried vegetables, and has ice cream for dessert! (and i'm probably missing something out there!)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
inactionman said:
My favourite in London is ten ten tei, they do a set menu for £20 that has miso soup, teriyaki chicken, rice, tuna & samon sashimi, deep fried vegetables, and has ice cream for dessert! (and i'm probably missing something out there!)

Where abouts is that?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Brewer street in Soho. Most of my friends agree it's probably the best in london for the price range (you can get cheaper at somewhere like Taro, but it's not as good, plus it's hard to find set meals at that kind of value elsewhere).

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3077.htm

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
You can usually tell how good a oriental etc restaurant is if you just nip by a look in. If its full of Indians in Indian restaurants, Chinese in Chinese restaurants etc etc usually means the food inside is good.

Ono

Part of the furniture
I use to frequent Ikkyu nr Googe St. Loads of Japanese got here so it must be good.

Utini

Can't get enough of FH
Work out what sort of stuff you like the taste of. Ranges widely from the totally inoffensive salmon on rice to the most exotic i cant pronounce. Love the stuff myself, but picking which ones is the key. Realistically as long as its not a crap place, its gonna be fun to mix and match. Half the fun is trying stuff you havent before, and then you'll know more the stuff you like next time.
Have a play.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Dont get me wrong we both love Sushi, we used to eat it in London when she lived there (and on Hols to the US etc) but havnt been since she moved 'oop Nurth, so I just wanted a decent one.

No probs, I'll check some Leeds webbeh out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom