Superbowl

babs

Can't get enough of FH
for games get ESPN NFL. Sega sports poops all over the once mighty madden (and I was a HUGE fan of the madden games).

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Stazbumpa said:
Watch a game of rugby and a game of US football and notice how they tackle differently. In US football you tend to use your head more than anything and the average speed of tackles is much faster as a rule too.
Agreed with pretty much all of what you said except the above? tackle with your head!? wtf...that is called spearing and is totally illegal in american football as it tends to break your neck! and flattening 20st+ linemen is no easy task by any stretch of the imagination even with pads unless they have no skill at all...other than that I agree with you totally and it annoys me no end when people call it a girls sport because it has pads, having played both I know it hurts a lot more to get hit in american football than it did in rugby.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Stazbumpa said:
A huge big fuck off and die to all those who are jumping about and trilling about how shit US football is. 99% of you haven't the first clue how to play and I doubt you'd know which way you'd be heading on the field anyway.

Jeez, someone's got sand in their vagina :\

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Whipped said:
I'd like to consider myself a man, but if I played Ruby again I'd break ;)

Ruby must be quite a girl.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
jaba said:
...other than that I agree with you totally and it annoys me no end when people call it a girls sport because it has pads, having played both I know it hurts a lot more to get hit in american football than it did in rugby.

Did you play rugby at a girls school? :D

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Heh... three pages and not one proper anti-US post. What is wrong, ffs? :p

The wife and I were one of the few not watching it... Prophecy II and III on Sci-Fi channel. Lots better than that stop-and-go rubbish.

Ice-hockey on the other hand is the best sport when it comes to fluency. Me likes.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Uncle Sick said:
Ice-hockey on the other hand is the best sport when it comes to fluency. Me likes.

For stumbling upon the truth, I award you one kitten, freshly plucked from the juicy bosom of mother nature. Or something.

kitten.jpg

UKTwister

Fledgling Freddie
Excellent game, 84yard touchdown!! and really tense at the end - it really opened up in the 2nd quarter.

As to whether American Football Would work in the Uk, I think it could if the rules were changed a bit - i don't think the general public would take to the stop start nature of the game. Possibly if the time restrictions were limited a bit more and less ways of stopping the clock, that would hurry them up a bit ;)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
made me go out and by an American Football game, and by gum does it rock. Managed a 108 yard run from one end of the field to the other :p and an accidental play that went straight up the line of the......what do you call them? scrums??

Really is tactics based, bloody hard and theres noway i'd be caught playing it without some sort of armour after watching it :p

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
My son has the Madden NFL 97 GB game... and it's just as boring as the real thing.

My two year old loves the stadium cheers... she's the only one 'playing' it. Heh...

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I have FIFA 96. It sucks. That said, i havent played Madden so I cant judge.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
NHL rocks, last Stanley cup was some great matches.

Only thing i dont like is if it goes to 7 games one team gets home ice, it should be played at a neutral venue.

It totally ruined last stanley cup because each team had won all their home ice games and the team that was most likely to win got home ice for the final game.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Munkey...line of scrimmage haha, and im sure you will all be slightly scared if I point out that american football already is catching on in this country pretty much every university has a team, most cities/towns have teams and there is a lot of youth development teams popping up all over the place! soon you will all be assimilated! hahhahahhahahahha! [/american mode]

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
jaba said:
Agreed with pretty much all of what you said except the above? tackle with your head!? wtf...that is called spearing and is totally illegal in american football as it tends to break your neck! and flattening 20st+ linemen is no easy task by any stretch of the imagination even with pads unless they have no skill at all...other than that I agree with you totally and it annoys me no end when people call it a girls sport because it has pads, having played both I know it hurts a lot more to get hit in american football than it did in rugby.

True, spearing is illegal, but believe me when I say you tackle with your head. Not on its own, but an ideal tackle means that your head is aimed and hits the number on their jersey and your arms wrap around him. I did it to a very large bloke who weighed at least 7 stone more than I did at the time.
His arse hit the floor with with shall we say "seismic" force :)
In retrospect, I suppose "tackle with your head" gives the wrong impression, so maybe I should've said "aim and hit with head first". Putting anyone moving at speed on the floor is no easy task, let alone if he's 20+ stone in weight, but what I was trying to say is that with the armour and a bit of good technique the little guy can quite often take out someone much bigger.
In rugby, when faced with the same situation, I find the little guy quite often doesn't bother trying.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
What's so super about this bowl? Apart from boobs. Which were not all that super.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Loxleyhood said:
What's so super about this bowl? Apart from boobs. Which were not all that super.

Especially because sister looks just like brother... with somewhat saggy boobs. :eek7:

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
People still don't realise that Man-e-Faces from The Masters of the Univers was just a prototype for the Jackson family. They are all the same person just with an interchangable body, most of which are very similar anyway.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
You put your head into the numbers on his jersey you will be very likely to break your neck, if your coaches encouraged this method of tackling then I am quite concerned..you tackle across the body getting your whole body in the way, and then wrapping them up with your arms, not as you say, head first.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
jaba said:
You put your head into the numbers on his jersey you will be very likely to break your neck, if your coaches encouraged this method of tackling then I am quite concerned..you tackle across the body getting your whole body in the way, and then wrapping them up with your arms, not as you say, head first.

Head into the numbers, arms wrap around. Worked everytime for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom